Jack Remembered

Jack Remembered

A Story by Barbara Walker
"

This story was first published in 2012 in Heartscapes:True Stories of Remembered Love. Edited by Kate Harper and Leon Marasco. ISBN: 978-0-9851409-0-8

"
We were both disabled from back injuries. We met at a pain clinic, flirting over the physical therapy equipment. He had an outgoing personality, bringing me out of a shell imposed by surgeries, pain and self-esteem issues.

After I met Jack, I began to see there were still positives in my life. We shared the same, slightly sarcastic, sense of humor. We would have these spontaneous "Burns and Allen" routines of our own, never knowing in advance, who was going to end up being Burns, the smart one or Allen, the flaky one. We entertained friends and ourselves, many times.

I loved that Jack was spontaneous in other ways. He would suggest taking off for a drive in the mountains or desert on a beautiful day, grabbing food to make a picnic. It was always an adventure and I, happily, went along.

One windy day, he came home from the store with kites for each of us. He put them together, bragging about how he was going to get his up the highest. We drove off to the beach to fly them. I filmed him, not too steadily, as I laughed so hard, watching him struggle to get that kite up in the air.

That was another thing I loved about Jack; he could always laugh at himself.

He would make breakfast in bed for me, when it was no special occasion. He took care of me, when I was not feeling well, though he had chronic pain, too.

Jack made me feel wanted, desirable and sexy. He loved to sit on the bed and watch me put on my make-up.


One day, he told me that he had a special night planned. He suggested I dress in my sexy, black outfit. I went all out with my dress, make-up and heels. He made me stay in the bedroom, while he did his thing in the dining room and kitchen.


When he came to get me, he blindfolded me, then walked me out to the dining room. When he removed the blindfold, I saw that the lights were off and beautiful candlelight warmed the room. On the table was a lavish dinner he had prepared. He helped me to my chair and poured each of us a glass of wine. He put on some soft jazz to play, then fed me strawberries dipped in chocolate. Dinner was medium rare steaks, baked potatoes with sour cream and artichokes with butter. It was the best dinner I ever had. It was such a beautiful night.


My two children, young adults, loved Jack. He joked with them, listened when they had a problem, offering suggestions, but never lecturing. We took my first granddaughter on many outings. Jack treated her, as if she were his own; playing with her, showing her new things, explaining things to her. He read to her, before bed, when she spent the night. She loved her Papa Jack.


Jack gave me the gift of being less fearful of life and the way it can blindside you at times. He showed me that you have to see the humor in life and not take yourself too seriously. Jack showed me that you can carry on, when you are feeling you are not capable of doing so. He showed me that I am much stronger, than I gave myself credit for being.


I became a better version of myself being with Jack and I became a better human being for having known him.

I lost Jack in 1991. I didn't see how I could go on without him. But Jack was right. I am stronger than I give myself credit for being.


I still, hear his voice encouraging me and making me laugh.


He will, always, have a place in my heart.
 

© 2013 Barbara Walker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your story touched me, I am happy Jack appeared at just the right time to be each other's strength, and inspiration. Sharing time with your granddaughter, "seeing life through new eyes," and his expanded family, being together.. Thank you for sharing it! Diane

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack was a good man. People who put their pain aside and create hope and laughter are diamonds in a life. Thank you for sharing the story of Jack. A excellent story of love and friendship.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Coyote. Yes, he was that, the best.
You got me reading over and over:-) this is good and am sure Jack will be happy seeing the strength you have now in you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you! People come into and out of our lives for many different reasons. He touched me in so man.. read more
Ooooh, I loved this, I loved how it started!

"We were both disabled from back injuries. We met at a pain clinic, flirting over the physical therapy equipment." - Haha, as you do... :P

This was such a sweet story, it was really good. Very well written and very descriptive.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I am very partial to this story
I love how it starts out 'flirting over physical therapy equipment' you set the scene right there, and the bantering back and forth a la George & Gracie. Bittersweet story of hope and the fact that other people's beliefs in us can take us higher and elevate our spirits so much more than we'd ever imagine. Much enjoyed Barbara.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

11 Years Ago

Thank you Frieda!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 16, 2013
Last Updated on April 28, 2013
Tags: love, humor, memories, chronic pain

Author

Barbara Walker
Barbara Walker

Lake Havasu City, AZ



About
I am retired from the Postal Service. I find I write poetry to help myself through difficult times and I have written many poems in response to the chronic pain I've been living with for over 30 year.. more..

Writing