Seventh Grade or Will I Ever Be Graceful?

Seventh Grade or Will I Ever Be Graceful?

A Story by Barbara Walker
"

One girl's experience in 7th grade, including her first dance

"
Being athletic and being graceful are not the same thing. In seventh grade, play any ballgame, I'm there! Tear around a go-cart track at full speed? Absolutely! Go hiking? Try to keep up with me. The seventh grade afternoon dance? Whoa!


I was born a tomboy with two left feet. I was blessed with the grace of, well, a bull in a china shop!


In her very subtle way, I think my Mom did what she could to help me learn to be graceful. It's the only reason I can think of, for her enrolling me in a tap, ballet and gymnastics class. Sue, my twin, was signed up for the class, too. Sue was so limber. She could perform cartwheels, head-stands and she really "got down" dancing the limbo. She loved to dance, sing and perform.
I couldn't do a back-bend if you paid me. I'd start out, then just crumple to the floor. I didn't embarrass myself, too much, in tap dancing. I do remember my grandmother coming to watch one of our tap lessons. I was preoccupied with the flea bites on my legs. While dancing, I scratched them so much, blood ran down my legs. Imagining what a delightfully graceful picture that must have made
, sends me into hysterical laughter every time I think of it.


We had a dance recital. Everyone would be attending the show. Our class wore aqua colored leotards. Each of us had a big white bow, with aqua polka dots pinned to our chests. A professional photographer took our class photo, just before the show. When we got the photo in the mail, all the girls looked great. Except me. My bow drooped badly. Oh, and the lipstick they had put on our lips? Mine was, too much and smeared. Ah, yes, quite the little graceful performer!


The entire experience with the dance studio, left me feeling more clumsy, than ever...but you should have seen the way I could scale a tree!


We had a roller skating rink near our home. I could always roller skate, going both forward and backward. My sisters, Janie and Sue, began taking skating lessons. They skated alone and with a partner. They not only skated forward and backward, they learned routines to perform with their partner to a musical number. They danced on roller skates! They performed spins and fancy maneuvers. They were skating so close to their partners, I was amazed they didn't trip each other. They were so graceful. It was a quality I did not possess


With all this in mind, the announcement of the seventh grade afternoon dance, did not send waves of anticipation through me. A part of me didn't want to go. However, the part of me that wanted to "fit in", over-ruled.


I spent most of the dance with a fake smile on my face, watching the other kids dance. They made it look so easy!
Another slow dance came on and to my astonishment, a boy was walking toward me, looking right at me! My stomach did a few flip flops. As he asked me to dance, i thought of what I had been watching. During slow songs, the couples simply moved around in a circle. Surely, even I, could do that! I said, "Yes!"

He took my hand, leading me onto the dance floor. As we began to dance, I realized that this was the closest I had ever been to a boy. It felt awkward. I only stepped on his feet twice, which I felt was a miracle. The main recollection I have? Boys sure have sweaty hands!

I look at the pre-teen and teen-age girls of today in awe. They certainly appear to be more self-assured than I was at their age. And where did they get all that poise and grace?

Unfortunately, I am still waiting for my poise and grace to develop. Don't anybody hold their breath.

© 2013 Barbara Walker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I agree. I did learn I could do the Texas two-step with skill. Other type dancing. My balance was weak. I enjoyed the story. Memories of youth do stay with us. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


An entertaining story to be sure. "The main recollection I have? Boys sure have sweaty hands!" made me laugh. That was me!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you craig! Ah, it was the best of times and it was the worst of times!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 23, 2013
Last Updated on April 23, 2013
Tags: junior high, tomboy, school, dance

Author

Barbara Walker
Barbara Walker

Lake Havasu City, AZ



About
I am retired from the Postal Service. I find I write poetry to help myself through difficult times and I have written many poems in response to the chronic pain I've been living with for over 30 year.. more..

Writing