Nothing to Fear

Nothing to Fear

A Story by Barbara Walker
"

A mother does some reflecting as her daughter is getting married.

"
I watched the wedding procession, as the bridesmaids came down the aisle. I felt an ache in my heart. It was the ache of pride, love and a little bit of loss. I was losing my little girl, but if I was honest with myself, I had been losing her since the day of her birth. Isn't that a parent's job, to raise them up in the way they should go?
Surely, I could look on the bright side. My daughter had grown up to be more than I could have hoped for. She was smart, kind, personable, responsible, independent and self-assertive. Her path in life was so much more stable and together than mine had been at her age.
I had taught her manners, how to throw a softball and catch and bat like a pro. I taught her how to read, cook, iron and sew. I showed her how to camp and hike, roller skate and how to ride a bike.
I taught her the importance of looking people in the eye and not to believe everything she reads or hears. I taught her that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the same could be said of truth.
I showed her how to swim, to drive and how to balance a checkbook. I taught her all about financial credit and interest and she said, "Hell, if I'll pay that!"
I taught her that life isn't always fair and that if you wanted a good friend, you had to be one.  I taught her that it feels good to give and it feels good to receive, also. I think I was successful in teaching her the difference between lying and perpetuating the Santa Claus myth.
As I taught her, along the way, I learned a lot, too. One very special lesson I have learned is that at the end of learning from each other, I have gained a wonderful grown up friend. And in her marrying,Ii am gaining a fine son.
As I watch him look at her with eyes filled with love, I wish them so much- a lifetime of adventure, of physical and emotional closeness and the intelligence to know when to give each other space. I wish that they never lack having something to say and share with each other. I wish them deep satisfaction in how they earn their way. I wish them to always see the humor and never lack time to play.
As they share their first kiss as husband and wife and walk outside, I see I have nothing to fear, as they mount a tandem bike and ride.

© 2013 Barbara Walker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is honest and heartfelt. A true snapshot of a universal milestone.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Beautiful words that carry powerful meanings, and set a foundation that will keep growing with time!!

Letting go is hard, but you gave your daughter a great plan to follow...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Such a lovely write for you daughter, you seem to have done a great parenting job. Sometimes letting go is hard, but you have the understanding of what letting go really means. Wonderful words of love.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I think your daughter is damn lucky to have such a great mother.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Why, thank you Craig!
This is a beautiful poem that clearly expresses a mother's feelings and thoughts as she watches her daughter begin her own journey. Nice reflection and flow.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
such a nice story about a mother's feelings. I loved how you described all the things she taught her, made me think about my mum and how she would feel if i was getting married...
anyways great job :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
annabellee

10 Years Ago

you're most welcome :)
You’re a very good writer. i really like the flow you created with this piece, it falls into a very nice rhythm.

I also like how you took a subject matter and managed to make it unique and original. at the same time.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 3, 2013
Last Updated on August 3, 2013
Tags: daughter, teaching, self assertive, confident, love, wishes, memories

Author

Barbara Walker
Barbara Walker

Lake Havasu City, AZ



About
I am retired from the Postal Service. I find I write poetry to help myself through difficult times and I have written many poems in response to the chronic pain I've been living with for over 30 year.. more..

Writing