All Wet

All Wet

A Story by Barbara Walker
"

This is a memoir of an incident that happened when I was newly married, a relationship that was going nowhere. It is a "sweet" memory!

"
I married at the age of sixteen. In those years when sex wasn't discussed and you got pregnant, marriage was the road you took to keep society happy, no matter how miserable it made you.

My boyfriend, John (names have been changed to protect the guilty) and I had been going together for two years. I loved him in the only way a naive, lonely girl from a broken home can, thinking we would be together forever. John was five years older than I was, but his maturity level was about five years younger than me. That would not reveal itself until after we married. Or maybe, that is when I finally opened my eyes.
That I found John with another girl, the night before our wedding speaks volumes. So you know that I wasn't a complete idiot, I wanted to call the whole marriage off. However, as my proper Catholic mother told me numerous times, I had made my bed and by God, I was going to lie in it. For committing the damnable sin of fornication approximately fifteen times, I was being sentenced to life.
Once John and I were married, in his eyes,I was no longer the fun girlfriend. The girl he said sweet nothings to and took to dizzying heights of pleasure. I was now the battle ax, the pain in his neck, the pain in the a*s, who was to be avoided at any cost.
On Fridays, John's payday from work, we had always gone out together, having a blast. Now that I was his wife, on Fridays, after getting his check, John would disappear for the entire weekend.When he showed up late Sunday night or early Monday morning, he would be broke. I would cry, he would be silent, until my anger erupted and then the fight was on.
To everyone, I presented the picture of a happy newlywed. I didn't want everyone to know I was a failure at being a wife. A part of me thought it was my fault my man wouldn't stay home.
One night, to my amazement, John said he would take me out to this bar/pool hall and meet up with his best friend, Glen and Glen's girlfriend. When we arrived, there was Glen, his girlfriend and another girl sitting in a booth. John and I joined them and John introduced me to them. As the guys played pool, one of the girls asked me how things were going. The story I told was how I really wished things were. My story had no basis in reality. I told them how happy John and I were and that just that very night he had brought me a beautiful bouquet of flowers. How John would talk sweetly near my growing abdomen, communicating with our child.
It was such a crock! And later, I realized that they must of done everything in their power not to burst out laughing at my pathetic attempt to appear like the happy little housewife, since those girls obviously knew the truth, as John was sleeping with one of them.
Introducing the wife to the girlfriend?  I was the big butt of that joke.
At any rate, going out with John was rare to non-existent. I would sit home alone, my pregnant body growing by leaps and bounds, as I took solace in huge bowls of mashed potatoes with lots of butter and sheets of homemade chocolate cake.
It was just such a night that I sat before the television, not really seeing the program. With no job, no money, this huge pregnant body and married, according to a piece of paper, I felt powerless. I began to fantasize on ways to "do something!" to John.
Suddenly, a memory from a cartoon watched long ago came to mind. MMmmm, would it really work? As I thought about that idea, I began to realize a truth. I didn't deserve to be treated like this and no way in hell was I going to live like this. I had a lot of thinking to do and changes to make. If I stayed in that relationship, I would be raising my child by myself. If that were the case, I would be better off by myself, period.
But in the mean time, I got my bucket and filled it three quarters full with water.  I took my kitchen ladder and placed it by the front door. I hauled my pregnant body and the bucket of water to the top step and placed the bucket at the top of the door. Keeping the door open a bit, the bucket was precariously balanced over the doorway. I slowly descended, glanced up with a smile, then put the ladder away.
I took my shower, put on my nightgown and slid into bed. A smile, occasionally, crept across my lips.
I had no idea what time John would come home, but I prayed, if there is a God, let me, at least, have this.
Twenty minutes passed, when I heard (and the neighbors, too!) a clang-y commotion and then a very loud, "God Damn it!"
As I heard John slam the door and noisily go back downstairs, I gleefully giggled, turned over and went to sleep.

© 2013 Barbara Walker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved the ending of this. John definitely had more than that coming to him but at least a little payback was had.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Lilly. I appreciate your reading this piece and your comment!
I really enjoyed simple yet beautiful story and the way you put in words, hats off to you. Bravo

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you A. Amos! I'm pleased that you enjoyed it!
A. Amos

10 Years Ago

You are welcome in fact I very much did.
Though the extent to and the magnitude of what he made you go through cant be weighted on the same payback-scale with what you did....the lighter part of the situation is in the fact that at some point you too had to stand from the advantageous point. Excellent piece, a roller-coaster of mood it got me on. At the beginning i was like "so sad" but in the end i felt a bit lightened up and was like "yeah!!!!!!!!! "

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

thank you my friend!
kurrupted

10 Years Ago

You are most welcome... and thank you too for indeed i have learned a lot your writings.
bit of a payback...justly deserved...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
I did like the ending a lot. Old world was not easy for woman. I remember poor mother in the same situation as the woman in the story. Fake rules made people live in misery for many years. I like the thoughts and the description of a different time. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
haha as sad as the story acutally is, the ending is actually quite funny.
nobody deserves to be treated like that and I'm glad you got the strength to walk away.
Great write :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you annabellee!
annabellee

10 Years Ago

you're most welcome :)
While this is a sad story and I'm sorry you had to go through it, it also made me smile. I grew up with two brothers and we used to play tricks like that on each other. I felt so sorry for my mother.

The story was well written and I saw no errors. And it had an entertaining ending.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Craig. Three boys?? Your poor mother!!
Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Four if you count my father. lol!
This story made me cry a little bit. I am glad that you got away from that jerk. Great write

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you fluttershy, but don't be sad. I left him with my little girl in tow and got on with my lif.. read more
That story broke my heart, no one should ever be treated
thst way. I hope you left that rotten son of a b***h! I'm so glad you
got your revenge by that clever booby trap! I personally woulda probably
killed him. Great write! You made me feel your sadness aswell
as your joy. Thank you for reminding me how no woman should ever be treated

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you! Yes, i left the SOB and got on with my life!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

522 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 14, 2013
Last Updated on September 14, 2013
Tags: water, bucket, newlywed, married

Author

Barbara Walker
Barbara Walker

Lake Havasu City, AZ



About
I am retired from the Postal Service. I find I write poetry to help myself through difficult times and I have written many poems in response to the chronic pain I've been living with for over 30 year.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Want~ Want~

A Poem by Lovely Lady