Brothers And Sisters

Brothers And Sisters

A Poem by Barbara Walker

In and out of each others lives,

here, a new husband, there, new wives.

This one has a new baby boy,

that one has a brand new toy.

Is this what makes life so real?

What about the way that we feel?

 

Consuming, consuming, so very much,

this one bought phones for the whole bunch.

Those two have to have every new game,

never wanting to play the same.

Is this what makes life so real?

What about the way that we feel?

 

Each year, he has to buy a football season pass,

to watch, up close, while players get smashed.

She always pays her gym's monthly dues

and every month she buys dozen's of shoes.

Is this what makes life so real?

What about the way that we feel?

 

Now, their kids are learning to shop,

buying those items while they're still hot.

The highlight of their week is the mall,

where they spend at stores, big and tall.

Is this what makes life so real?

What about the way that we feel?

 

I decided something had to change,

even if they thought I was strange.

So, the last time we were ALL in the same room,

in a voice loudly, I did boom-

"I have an idea, let's all sit down and talk!"

Suddenly, every one of them wanted to go for a walk!

 

They couldn't get out of that room fast enough-

mumbling, "What's all this talking stuff?"

Then I heard someone say-

"Hey, did you hear about the new Wal-Mart?

Now, that's where to shop if you're smart!"

 

The rest of the family gets along well,

it's me who feels an outsider's hell.

I just don't like to shop and buy-

Well...maybe that last part I wrote

is a lie.

 

 

© 2010 Barbara Walker


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

how true this is and thought provoking...in this 'throw away' society, no one wants to talk anymore if it doesn't pertain to having the newest, top of the line anything...what is the world coming to? oh well....

thanks for sharing this and i'm sorry that i didn't get a chance to get to it sooner....

Amanda

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow, its amazing how people really do get stuck in that mentality and when you are not that type of person and you see how empty and fake that type of life and that type of existence is, it can feel lonely sometimes when you feel you are the only one who actually sees.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is sooo brilliant Barbara...It feels like I'm reading something similar to the song 100 years by Five for Fighting....Like your expressing different cycles that really don't matter but your expressing them in a gorgeous way that they are important..Excellent job Barbara

Posted 11 Years Ago


Yes we can get confused by what is really important. I give my daughter the basic needs. A good cell phone and her computer. She is content. I tap away at the home computer and don't carry a cell phone. If you need to talk to me. Can call me at the home number. Your poem tell a true story of life. We learn to late that we should of sat down with family and had good and long talks. I like the honest words at the ending. A excellent poem.
Coyote
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


how true this is and thought provoking...in this 'throw away' society, no one wants to talk anymore if it doesn't pertain to having the newest, top of the line anything...what is the world coming to? oh well....

thanks for sharing this and i'm sorry that i didn't get a chance to get to it sooner....

Amanda

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is funny, but so true. Our society really has become obsessed with having the newest and best of everything. I look at my nephews and nieces and am stunned by how much they have. They all have their own cell phones, TVs, gaming systems, etc. We are the ultimate "throw away" society. Very thought provoking and the ending made me laugh. Great job.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I found this to be an eye opener
for some people
We all go through things
and I am glad you spoke a lot of truth here
And there was actually some humor aswell

Great write

Orlando Murcia

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

No one likes talking about the uncomfortable any more. They run away and hide. I see exactly what you're saying here, even though i'm still young at 34, it effects me too. I feel that its a case of availablity. People have more things to distact them from true issues, then they did even 25 years ago.
You have hit a major issue in humanity with this piece.
Kids these days have no clue how to truly live life anymore.
When I was growing up, you had to work for things. Earning stuff the old fashioned way. And it was almost never new, usually used.
Clothes were handme downs, from an older brother.
Cell phones didnt exist, neither did many of the fance video game stations. I suppose i'm lucky, i never had to deal with it all.

A wonderful piece. One that certainly should make us all take a moment and think what we might do, to get back to the basics.

Aaron

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What is important? My house is falling down around me. But I don't have time for all that. I've got other things to do . . . I enjoyed this.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

How very true. We spend our lives in a culture that glamorizes content over substance. And most live thier lives in a state of commercial inundation that seeks to short-change the really important things in life. Now just to sit and talk...in the end aren't those the things that we will remember when our loved ones pass on, and isn't that what others will remember about us when our own mortality runs it course? Not what what we did, but how we made others feel.
This is an excellent work and is going in my favorites!
M

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

lol all you wrote were words well spoke,
in a society based on greed,never stopping to wonder what is need,
tv bomb rushes us with adds,,, billboards corners us with adds ,,,,gotta have this ,you want that,, items to makes us feel we are somebody in a world so unreal,i pity the poor souls who place their worth on material,
my friend that was a great ideal to stop the madness just to talk, ,too bad the sadness,
made you give in,,love the truth in this creation,80%of USA can relate and see themselves here,
perfect example of giving the reader something to think about as well as relate how not to relation.
however the mirror of your words did not reveal my reflection,,peace wizthom


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

291 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 10, 2008
Last Updated on May 28, 2010

Author

Barbara Walker
Barbara Walker

Lake Havasu City, AZ



About
I am retired from the Postal Service. I find I write poetry to help myself through difficult times and I have written many poems in response to the chronic pain I've been living with for over 30 year.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


within within

A Poem by TamiViolet


I Want... I Want...

A Poem by Lowesy