Broken Warriors

Broken Warriors

A Story by Kevin Chelsea

    When I wake up, sometimes there's the call from outside. Something that lives in the daylight tells me that I can walk and work as far as I can wander in one day. That every step will be across the world, the land, the culture that used to be ours. That voice would talk through breakfast and morning coffee. Calling and beckoning. The truth of it all, in the real world, settles down over that voice and muffles it. That long and smooth wall of who I should have been is cracked, never to be repaired.

    So I talk with, and laugh with, all the others like me. When we see each other, there's a spiritual acceptance of who we are. People might wonder about the little nod to a stranger on the street, but we know. Yes, the voices woke me up as well. Bid me to walk and work across a land that has been crisscrossed with a myriad of invisible barriers. They do nothing to stop the mind or the travels across the land, but they do stop the heart.

    The confined heart is a broken spirit. Yet, we still live. We laugh and we joke. I can't help but see it in them though, the ones that heard that voice muffled. You can see it in their eyes, the flash of inspiration to be someone you were meant to be, drowned for another day. Again, they only woke up to realize that they were broken warriors.

© 2011 Kevin Chelsea


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

BEAUTIFUL!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


You write this as a story but there is a lot of truth in it. Today's world squelches the inner being, the one that we should have been, could have been if only . . . I like how you've put what I see into words in a way that I don't think I could have done.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 6, 2011
Last Updated on September 6, 2011

Author

Kevin Chelsea
Kevin Chelsea

IR#4, The Cariboo, Canada



About
►My Blogger website, Stories from #4 I'm just a happy-go-lucky-guy from the rez. Working on putting the links to the stories I moved to blogger here, just smaller. I'll still upload new st.. more..

Writing