Alone

Alone

A Story by Alex

     She slowly walks to the shore, digging her feet into the hot sand and savoring the feeling. Sitting down on the edge of the shore, she looks out towards the crashing waves and setting sun. She smiles, closes her eyes and lets the last few rays warm her soft tanned skin. She sits there for some time, feeling the sun leave as she contemplates her day. At first, she thinks about everything that went wrong. What she could’ve done different. What she shouldn’t have said. Why she did what she did and how stupid it was. Now, she gets to thinking about everything she needs, but can’t get. Everything she wants, but will never have. Everything she wishes she is, but is not. Tears begin to gather in the corners of her eyes as one bad thought after another starts to consume her mind. She feels like she’s falling uncontrollably and there is no way to save herself. Just as utter hopelessness sets in, she stops.
Stop, stop, stop.
And she finally opens her eyes.
Magnificent hues of pinks, purples, and golds blind her and for a moment all she sees are swirls of color. How can she feel hopeless when surrounded by such profound natural beauty?

Up. Down. Up. Down.

Her chest rises and falls, her breathing becomes deep and she relishes the salty-sweet smell of the ocean. As she looks out towards the darkening horizon, feelings of serenity fill her and she knows that she will be okay. She is a fighter; a conqueror. But above all, she knows that she is a survivor. A warrior destined to be alone.
“Alone,” she mutters aloud, the word resounding in her head.
“Alone, alone, alone….but,” she thinks as she watches the diamond sea sparkle, “free. Alone, but free.”

And with that, she lies down in the cooling sand, stares up into the infinity above her, and begins to count the surfacing stars.

© 2008 Alex


Author's Note

Alex
Not real good, I know. But just something that I thought of on my way back from the pier.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on June 9, 2008

Author

Alex
Alex

Silverhill, AL



About
I'm Alex. I like to write. I write about however I'm feeling at the moment. There's a reason and a story behind everything written here. Ask me about it. I'd love to talk to you. I'd love to know you... more..

Writing
All I Ask All I Ask

A Poem by Alex


Wake Up Wake Up

A Poem by Alex