Empty Wishes and Guitars

Empty Wishes and Guitars

A Story by Alex

     The last chord of the song slowly diminished and for a moment, nothing but dead air hung between the two phone lines.

“I’d better get off,” he said. “I have a little more homework to finish. I imagine you do too.”
“Nope,” she said cheerfully. He could hear her smiling. “I did it as soon as I came home.”

“What a nerd,” he picked playfully.

“Type A personality all the way. You know me.”

“That I do,” he replied.
“Alright, I’ll let you go. Just play me one more thing,” she pleaded.
“The usual?” he asked, already knowing the answer.

“Of course. It’s my favorite”

“I know. As you wish,” he replied.

     At first, Dianne heard nothing but the sound of him adjusting his body and his guitar. Finally, he settled and a haunting melody wafted through the phone speaker. The opening solo was beautiful, and it gave her chills every time she heard it; he had spent over a month perfecting it. Robbie then broke into the first verse, and as always, Dianne closed her eyes and pictured him there beside her. Unknown to him, she swayed back and forth to the words leaving his mouth, not only hearing them, but becoming immersed in them. But all things must come to an end. So sadly, just as every other night before, the notes began to fade away and Dianne was released from the song’s spell.

     “Thank you,” she said quietly, breaking the silence.
“No problem. Anything for you.”

“Anything?” she asked, almost hoping he’d hear the desperation in her voice.
“Anything,” he said jokingly, oblivious to her secret plea. “Oh, and by the way,” Robbie added quickly, “thanks for the gift idea for Tracy. I know she’ll love it. Dianne, you’re amazing. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”
“Just glad to have helped,” Dianne replied. “Well, I’m a bit tired,” she yawned, “I think I’m going to turn in. Good night Robbie.”

“Good night Dianne. Sweet dreams.”

 

 Click.

     She hung up the phone and stood to go set it back on the hook. After that, Dianne slowly went to put on her pajamas, wash her face, and head to bed. Once there, she pulled the covers tightly over her body, switched off the lamp and shut her eyes for the second time that night. Just as before, she let the bittersweet melody carry her to sleep. She knew he’d never belong to her. But that had never mattered. Still the words rang in her ears as she drifted off: “Oh how I wish…how I wish you were here…”

 

 

© 2008 Alex


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

64 Views
Added on June 9, 2008
Last Updated on June 11, 2008

Author

Alex
Alex

Silverhill, AL



About
I'm Alex. I like to write. I write about however I'm feeling at the moment. There's a reason and a story behind everything written here. Ask me about it. I'd love to talk to you. I'd love to know you... more..

Writing
All I Ask All I Ask

A Poem by Alex


Wake Up Wake Up

A Poem by Alex