When Something Wicked Comes

When Something Wicked Comes

A Story by felioness
"

A dark tale of woe

"

 


The question remained unanswered, unheard and unacknowledged. It was a hollow silence overwhelming in its absolute nothingness. A silence that echoed and rattled into the very core of human existence. The kind of silence that kindled fear, palpable and primeval, making blood freeze in the vein. She knew her quest would take courage and nerve. That knowledge had her shaking from head to toe  but he was her twin and it had to be done

 

The imperial castle was darker than Hades at night. Alice was grateful for the sputtering candle despite its weak glow. Total darkness would have been unbearable. Cautiously she made her way to her brother's room. When she reached the heavy wooden door Alice rapped two times, paused, rapped once, paused again and rapped one more time. It was a coded knock they had used since childhood.

 

"Come in Alice." 

 

With effort Alice pushed the heavy door open and stepped inside. Ali was sitting in the corner  looking out into the starless cloud filled night. She noted he was dressed in his favourite black leather jerkin. His long unkempt raven black hair covering the unnatural pallor of his complexion. As she walked toward him he turned around and smiled. His face was covered with blood. He looked like an altogether unpleasant alley cat who had just eaten the family canary and was enjoying the pain it caused.

 

"You have been hunting Ali?"

 

Ali studied her face. His green eyes were long and narrow and as hard as jade. His was a look designed to wither the most steadfast heart. Alice's heart beat faster and her cheeks flushed then paled.

 

"You don't approve Alice?"

 

"Why do you always answer a question with a question Alian?"

 

"Sweet Alice ... and why do you ask so many questions?" 

 

Alice smoothed her full skirt, receiving a minimal sense of comfort when her hand felt the smoothness of the sharp dogwood stake concealed in a hidden pocket.

 

"Are you afraid of me Alice?" Ali asked. His green eyes glittered cat-like in the dim light.

 

"Of course not Ali!" she lied. "Why,  should I be?"

 

"Perhaps you think I shall harm you as I did father and mother."

 

"You love me Ali! And need me." Alian's words had re-opened terrible wounds that would not heal, but inwardly she steeled herself not to show signs of emotion in the presence of her changed and dangerous sibling .

 

"Yes I do Alice. I do need you." His eyes were cold and shone with an unnatural intelligence. "You are shaking dear sister!"

 

"It's cold in here Alian. Your fire has gone out."

 

"Ah, yes! Fire. I shall call Edmund and have him remedy the situation." Ali walked over to a thickly braided cord hanging beside the rich woven tapestry decorating his boudoir and gave it a tug, then he walked over to Alice, his movements graceful and sinuous. Stopping a mere foot away, Alian gazed searchingly into Alice's face.

 

"I just don't understand why I can't read your thoughts dear Alice. You are the only one and it troubles me. We are twins, that should make it even easier, yet with you I get nothing...nothing at all."

 

"Perhaps it's because you don't need to Ali. You have nothing to fear from me."

 

To Alice's surprise Ali burst into laughter. "Fear you! Oh Alice you are a silly little girl are you not!"

 

"I am a woman not a child Alian. Why do you persist in seeing me in that light."

 

"I am an hour and thirteen minutes older than you little sister!" Tears of laughter mixed with the blood on Ali's face in a most macabre manner. He looks insane. He is insane, thought Alice, insane with power.

 

Edmund knocked discreetly on the door interrupting their conversation. In a few minutes the man servant had a blazing fire warming the icy cold room. Alice walked over to the huge fireplace, welcoming the heat. When Edmund made an unobtrusive exit, Ali continued his examination of Alice, but this time from afar. Alice's shivering intensified but then slowly dissipated with the warmth. The fire gave her energy. She was surprised by this turn of events. As her flesh warmed Alice felt invigorated with strength and purpose. The fear that had been nipping at her heels slunk into submission and she felt in control.

 

Alice  suddenly spun around and addressed Ali. "Why? I just want to know why Alian. Why did you kill them?"

 

"Father would never have allowed me to rule, nor would have mother. A vampire king would have been ...exterminated, even if it were their son."

 

"Why then not me brother? Why did you let me live?"

 

"I need a daytime stand-in sister. You rule by day and I by night. You will follow my instructions as you always have, otherwise you will join me in immortality and I am sure that would not please you."

 

"I figured as much" sighed Alice. "So love hasn't anything to do with it?"

 

A single tear fell from her eye. Inside her heart felt as if it had bee skewered. Then came mortal indignation, hot and filled with wrath. Her anger was a fountain rising in pressure, ready to explode. Ali walked over to Alice and gathered her in his arms as he always had. Before the change. Before his body had turned to ice and his heart to stone.

 

"I couldn't bear to be alone Alice. I need you. You are a part of me that I cannot be rid of any more than I would want to part with one of my limbs. You and I are one."

 

So typical of Ali, thought Alice as she felt for the stake and got a good grip on it. So typical and selfish and arrogant of my controlling and sociopathic twin. He had always been the bad seed, she thought as she plunged the stake into his heart. So why? Why do I love him so? she screamed inwardly while resolutely pushing the stake deeper and deeper into his chest; amid death throes and founts of thick and blackened blood that shrouded her in a gory cloak. "Why?" she screamed to both heaven and hell, why must I be the one?"

 

With her last ounce of energy she pushed Ali into the great and blazing maw of the fireplace and watched his body burn.

 

Alice sat there until daylight, watching a pink horizon blossom into morning. When the fire was long cold and Alian was naught but ash and bone, Edmund returned and carried Alice  to her bed. Then he went back to Alian's room and erased all signs of the night before.

 

They say Alice is a great queen. She rules with a just but iron hand. But she is also a sad queen. They call her "Queen Alice The Unsmiling" and there are many rumours why this is so but only Edmund knows the truth.

 

© 2015 felioness


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

349 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 16, 2014
Last Updated on May 18, 2015
Tags: short story, fantasy, vampire, dark

Author

felioness
felioness

Saskatchewan, Canada



About
I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. I am a daydreamer who lives to write. I live quietly sharing my home with two dogs and three cats. more..

Writing
Black Dirt Black Dirt

A Poem by felioness