My Life According to U2 pt. 1

My Life According to U2 pt. 1

A Story by Richard McLin
"

Part 1 of an on going series. This finds a young Finn Webb finding a lot of his main life decsions come to him while listening to the band U2

"

 

 

Part One:

Even Better Than the Real Thing

 

 

The first time I saw her was at the public pool, she was a lifeguard. She was so sexy in her red swimsuit I would give anything at that moment to drown, just to have her save me. It would be the sexiest form of CPR ever applied. I was but 15 then and she was 23 so I knew I had no shot with her, but at that age my hormones were telling me that just by her glancing in my direction it totally meant that she wanted me. Though my head told me this was stupid, other parts were telling dude she is totally digging on you.

 

It was the night of June 21st, 1980. Not much going on in the world around that time. Ted Kennedy was trying to win the Democratic chair for the Presidential election, Summer Olympics were underway, and Richard Pryor suffered some nasty burns freebasing. None of this was having as big an impact on my life as Lacy Bloom.

 

“Dude, she is totally rad, but you have no chance with her man. You have about as much a chance with her as I do with Catherine Bach (she was Daisy Duke in the popular program Dukes of Hazard).” This all came from my best friend Hugo Pooley.

 

“Man, She was looking my way all day.” I replied.

“Yeah, probably cause you were pacing all around the pool so she had to look at you.”

 

We were in my room listening to a song called 11 O' Clock Tick Tock, a single from a band called U2, who I was really beginning to like. They had some other singles out, but I hadn't heard them. Hugo said they would not be around much longer, but I didn't agree.

 

“I'm telling you Finn, you will never get with Lacy Bloom. So listen to your crap music and forget her.”

 

As he left I listened to more of U2, and thought of her, and I knew I would go up to her tomorrow and talk to her, and by the gods, and U2, I would have her.

 

Tomorrow came and I took a deep breath and got up the courage I needed. I watched as she sat up on her life guard throne looking down on us trying to decide who was and who wasn't worthy of her affection. Would she pick me? Would this be the year that young Finn Webb became a man with the most gorgeous woman in town? I decided it was time to take my shot.

 

She stepped down around noon to take a lunch break. A man with a face like a Domino's Pizza took her place. I looked at her, she looked at me. The stars were aligning and the planets gave their approval for this union to transpire. I could already hear Bono singing at our wedding. I stepped up and

prepared to tell her the most romantic thing she had ever heard, so taking a deep breath I said,

 

“H-h-h-hi Lacy.”

She looked at me, smiled. It was the smile of a goddess granting a young mortal everlasting life upon a kiss from her lips. She kissed my cheek and told me,

“You are so cute.” she then walked away.

It was indeed the day I became a man.

 

TO BE CONTINUED

 

 

Richard McLin 2009

© 2018 Richard McLin


Author's Note

Richard McLin
U2 is my all time favorite band, and have been planning some series around them for years. This is just one of the ideas. Though it is very very loosely autobiographical (seeing as how I wasn't born till October of 1980) I do hope you enjoyed it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like this and hope you continue with this. I too am a U2 fanatic. Actually just saw them in concert a few weeks ago. Amazmatastic!! I love the part about Bono singing at the wedding. This is great, please add more...

Posted 14 Years Ago


"Lacy Bloom." You just kill me with the names like Pynchon does.
By the way you must read his new novel "Inherent Vice."

Ah, a young Finn Webb. This was so f*****g good!
More More more more....
You just gave me the impetus to come up with a character;
True Kelley. His parents are False Kelley and False Kelley.

Jack

Posted 14 Years Ago


I love U2 the song With or without you is my fave!
I like this write, it's amazing and wonderful.
Very well written. Enjoyable read.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

403 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 31, 2009
Last Updated on March 10, 2018
Tags: Fiction, story, coming of age, teen, eighties, 80s, U2, bono, Even Better Than The Real Thing

Author

Richard McLin
Richard McLin

Salem, OR



About
I have been writing ever since I can remember. I can't live and not write, it's as essential as breath. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My Epiphany My Epiphany

A Poem by Bud