In These Times of War

In These Times of War

A Story by Richard McLin
"

A soldier finds safety in a building during WWII, but not everything is as it appears.

"

The building was up ahead, and he couldn't have been happier to see it. The bullet in his shoulder was not letting him forget its whereabouts, and the pain was tremendous. The door opened before he stepped up to it, and two allied soldiers came out and helped him inside.

"Welcome to hell Lieutenant, it used to be France." commented one of the grunts
The sound of mortar fire and bomb shells echoed in the distance. The war was still in full swing, and he did not see a full end to it in sight. In his opinion, D-Day was a failure. They sat him on a cot and a sweaty man with a large cigar came and looked at him.

"Got a bullet in your shoulder have you?"
He nodded.

The man opened a satchel and removed a pair of pliers from within it. He motioned for the two men that brought him in, and they held him down. He now had a fairly good idea what was about to happen. The doctor put a thick piece of leather in the lieutenants mouth, and jammed the pliers into the wound. Pain erupted from what felt like everywhere, and muffled screams filled the bullet riddled building they were currently held up in.
The pliers came out, and in their grasp was the bullet.
"There we go, ain't that a beauty?"
The doctor then used his cigar to close the wound. The man spit out the leather tongue protector and screamed.

"What the hell is going on out there?" screamed a voice with no body.

"Nothing sir."

The lieutenant sat up and began wrapping his wound with some gauze.

"Whose voice was that?" he asked

"That's the commanders voice. He is the one who is going to win the war." one of the soldiers said smiling

"What do you mean?" The lieutenant asked

The doctor came over and sat down next to him. He handed him a cigar, and the lieutenant accepted. After lighting it, the doctor began the story.

"He was sent here because of his uncanny knowledge of defense, and he is a great tactician. It is as if he knows what the Germans are going to do before they know it, and he stops them every time. You know they only gave him us seven people to lead, and we have killed over two hundred Germans."

The lieutenant was amazed. This man must of been a battle hardened veteran. A Patton or Eisenhower was need out here in all of this death.

"Can I meet him?"

"We can ask, but he is a very private man. He likes to be left alone unless we are fighting. That is why he is in that room over yonder. To be alone."

The doctor motioned to a door marked "EMPLOYEE'S ONLY" only it was in French. The lieutenant got up and walked over to the door. He knocked, and received no answer.

"Hello sir, my name is Lieutenant Thomas Reef, I was wondering if I could talk to you, about your plans of attack?"

There was still no answer. He put his ear to the door and thought he could hear some strange beeping sounds coming from the room, but suddenly the stopped, and he could hear footsteps.

"Listening in on other people is quite rude lieutenant." came a voice from the other side of the door.

He could hear laughing from the other men. The door opened to reveal something the lieutenant had not been expecting. The man on the other side to the door was barley out of his teens, he was maybe twenty, twenty-four at the oldest. How could such a young man be considered a great military mind.

"What year were you born in?" the lieutenant asked

"Me," the commander asked smiling he looked in the eyes of the lieutenant and answered, "I'm haven't even been born yet lieutenant. You sure are having a distasteful tone with some one who out ranks you."

"I'm sorry commander. What are your plans on getting us out of here?"

"We are not leaving. Not for another four hours. Then the Germans will have left this town and moved on to the next one. You see they already checked this part of the town, they are not coming back this way. Once they leave, we are to sneak up behind them, and take them out."

The men cheered behind him. He smiled and saluted his men, who saluted him back.

"You are welcome to join us lieutenant. That is unless you are uncomfortable taking orders from someone younger than yourself?"

The lieutenant nodded that he was not, and the commander smiled once again.

"That is good, because if you were uncomfortable, I would have ordered you to stay, and then you wouldn't have a good time. So relax, you are in no danger here. I'm sorry about your troop, they were brave men." the commander walked back into his room, and shut the door.

The lieutenant went back to his cot and sat down.

"How could he have known that my troop was wiped out, I haven't said anything?" he thought to himself as he lay down, and fell asleep.

Deep inside the office, and where no one had entered the commander sat down and yawned. This had been everything he hoped for. The excitement, the danger, and the loyalty of men. All the experiments he had gone through to get to this point in time, and all the history he had to learn.

Beside the commander were a dozen text books some marked "American History" and other were "World War II for Dummies" and "The Art of War". He spent four years studying for this moment, and it was all working for him now. He went into his duffel and removed the instrument that created the beeping sound the lieutenant had heard. It would be over soon, and he would go back to his own time, and just as well, for his Gameboy was running out of batteries, and this was the best game of Tetris he had ever played.

The End ?

Richard McLin 2006 or is it 1946???

© 2010 Richard McLin


Author's Note

Richard McLin
Forget grammar and small typos, will edit later. Hope you enjoy this piece I wrote 4 years ago, and though not perfect holds a special place for me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Good Richard, you have the basis of a good story here. Just a few points. In the first part of the story it seemed unlikely that a doctor would use a cigar to seal a wound which would be unlikely to work anyway. I feel that you need to make the first part as believeable as possible so that the final reveal has more weight. The other thing I think would work better would be for the time traveller to be playing something that relates to the situation eg a second world war game. I would also recommend that you check your typos and grammar before posting because these can have affect the understanding of the text.
Your scenario is good and I hope you can take something out of what are meant to be constructive comments. I enjoy playing games with time myself in my own stories.
Cheers,
Alan

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Good Richard, you have the basis of a good story here. Just a few points. In the first part of the story it seemed unlikely that a doctor would use a cigar to seal a wound which would be unlikely to work anyway. I feel that you need to make the first part as believeable as possible so that the final reveal has more weight. The other thing I think would work better would be for the time traveller to be playing something that relates to the situation eg a second world war game. I would also recommend that you check your typos and grammar before posting because these can have affect the understanding of the text.
Your scenario is good and I hope you can take something out of what are meant to be constructive comments. I enjoy playing games with time myself in my own stories.
Cheers,
Alan

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Awesome story. It's cool how it shields the reader from the true nature of the story until almost the end. This scenerio is someting that I have often wondered about...well, after getting past the headache of time travel. It is nicely crafted too. Well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard McLin

11 Years Ago

Thank you
This was awesome...I felt like I was in an episode of the outer limits..

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This story was awesome! It had a perfect twist and a very good ending. This is one of the best time travel stories I have ever heard. well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Holds up to your standard Richard. Never a disappointment. Slightly wordy in spots...but you know that. 100 peaches...my highest award. VERY WELL DONE!

Posted 14 Years Ago


too overwhelming for me to read all of this so gonna have to read it another time.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

699 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 10, 2010
Last Updated on April 10, 2010

Author

Richard McLin
Richard McLin

Salem, OR



About
I have been writing ever since I can remember. I can't live and not write, it's as essential as breath. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..