Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

A Chapter by firabelle

Everyone outside of our car and on the red carpet stopped and stared, mouths slightly agape. I swallowed, blushed nervously, and offered a timid smile. The moment was over and I was swamped with camera flashes and microphones. “Please, I’m not worth the attention,” I told the various reporters fanned out before me. “I’m sure there’s someone else that you should be paying more attention to.” I turned, trying to catch a glimpse of my friends, who seemed to have disappeared into the crowd.

A reporter shoved their microphone next to my mouth. “What’s your name? Could I get to know you for my paper?” she pressed.

“Trust me; I’m no one of any real relevance. The Bellairs gave this gown to me as a gift. Now, please, I can’t answer any of your questions, and, what’s more, no one will be even slightly interested in what I have to say. Good evening,” I said apologetically as I turned to run as fast as I could. I was suddenly thankful that I had insisted on flats instead of killer heels. I managed to make it through the barricade and into the ballroom. “Adda! Fee! El! Penny! Where are you?” I half-shouted.

No answer. I chewed my lip anxiously, and did several three-sixties. A kind hand touched my shoulder. I whipped around to reveal a younger middle-aged man with ginger hair and a kind smile. He wore a fitted tailcoat and white tie. “Are you looking for someone, Dear?”

I nodded tentatively. “Yeah, my friends and I were split up after I got attacked by the press a few minutes ago.” I had to look up at him, since he was so tall.

He pulled me into a handy-dandy side hallway. “Do you have any way to find them?”

I shook my head when I heard a shout from behind me. I turned, and Fee was standing behind me with her arms crossed and a devilish smile on her lips. She looked up at the mystery gentleman. “Could I have a moment alone with her, sir?” She batted her eyes for effect.

He looked at me skeptically. “Do you know this girl?” he asked me.

I nodded. “Yeah, we’re friends. I’ll be fine. Thanks for getting me out of there,” I said quickly.

“You’ll be fine,”he said pointedly.

“Yes!” I laughed a little. “Don’t worry; I can take care of myself just fine, thank you very much.”

He nodded. “I’ll be around if and when you need me.” And with that, he turned around and walked past the corner.

Once he was out of sight, I felt Fee grasp my shoulder and turn me around forcefully. “Where the hell were you, Stella? You had Adda worried sick.”

I fumbled with my words. “I’m sorry, I got attacked by the press because they thought I was someone else, and then I couldn’t find you guys, and-”

Fee swallowed. “If you ever worry Adda like that again, there will be hell to pay. Got that?”

I fought the urge to gasp painfully.

Fee continued. “We only put up with you because Adda likes you. That’s the only

reason. We don’t even remotely like you, you worthless gutter w***e. If it were up to me, I’d have you arrested for daring to think you are my equal or any of my friend’s equal. Come on, and I swear to god that if you tell Adda any of thing, you will regret it.” She grabbed my arms with her talon-like nails and dragged me down the hall, only to run into Mr.Mystery Man.

“Get away from her,” he said threateningly in a low tone that dripped anger.

“You don’t know what she’s done to my friends. She’s worthless, pathetic, completely and totally-”

“I’d be willing to bet that she wouldn’t drag innocent girls into hallways so that she could make them feel completely awful,” he countered. “Back. Off.”

She looked up at him balefully and let my arm go. “This isn’t over,” she hissed into my ears. She stalked off, sashaying down the passage dramatically.

I, on the other had, was trying my hardest to not cry. I put my face in my hands, trying desperately to calm down and not sob all over the very nice man.

He pulled me close and let me soak his shirt. I barely knew this man, and he was acting like my father. After a few moments, I pulled away.

I sniffled. “Thank you, …”

“Tam Willson. And you are?”

Stella Lyra.”

He nodded thoughtfully. “It’s a very poetic name, and very beautiful.”

I blushed. “Thank you,” I said for what seemed like the millionth time. People were

starting to filter into the hallway we were talking in.

“Follow me,” said Tam gently. “That is, if you’d like to talk somewhere quieter.” He looked at me for a moment, waiting for me to give him his answer.

Icey-cold suspicion creeped through my veins, raising goosebumps over my bare arms. If that didn’t sound dubious, then i didn’t know what did. “I’m sorry mister Willson, but I can’t go alone with a stranger,” I stammered.

He nodded understandingly, and then grabbed me. I tried to scream, and nothing came out. It was like the nightmares I had as kid, where the bad men came to take me away from Da. I didn’t even have time to think about Da or anyone else before my thoughts went blank as my fight-or-flight response kicked in.

Needless to say, I chose flight.

“Get off of me!” I (tried) to scream, and would have, had there been any sound that was coming from my mouth. It finally registered- I couldn’t make a sound as he grabbed me with arm and laid his hand over my throat gently, covering my esophagus effectively.  We were behind a corner when I saw another man and woman. The man was the embodiment of ice and wind- his hair was a shaggy white, eyes pale blue, lips a slight pink, skin the color of freshly fallen snow. The woman had a grecian or mexican complexion, high cheekbones, and a straight nose with a pair of black-framed glasses perched on top.

Ice man helped ‘Tam’ hold me still while the woman muttered something while drawing what seemed to be a drawing of a door on the wall.

Then the drawing turned into a doorway, filled with purplish light. My eyes widened in shock. After a few moments, the purple light faded to reveal a chamber filled with what seemed to be a large table, like the round table of King Arthur. The woman looked back at the Iceman and Tam and nodded.

I started to fight back again, desperately trying to escape my captors’ grasps before it was too late. They pulled me in, and a team of people were waiting inside. I turned my head just in time to see the doorway slowly disappear into the stone wall.



© 2016 firabelle


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A amazing chapter. Bad place for her. You create interesting places and characters. I like the conversations and the honest tone of this chapter. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 20, 2016
Last Updated on May 20, 2016


Author

firabelle
firabelle

Ann Arbor, , MI



About
I'ma high school student who loves shakespeare, classics, and fantasy/fiction, as well as writing. I'm looking to get my writing out there, and I thought this was the best place for it! more..

Writing
Anything Anything

A Poem by firabelle


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by firabelle