Chapter 34

Chapter 34

A Chapter by firabelle
"

I'm sorry I took so long in putting this chapter up! School has been so, so busy.

"

We threw out our respective fists; mine landed as rock, and his as scissors.

Sean groaned playfully. “How do you win so damn much?”

I winked. “Lucky gal, I guess. How much longer?”

As if on cue, someone pulled on the front flap. “We’re ready for Miss Lyra,” said someone from behind the curtain.

Sean nodded to me. “Are you ready for this?” he asked me quietly.

“As ready as I'll ever be.” I paused. “What happens if I lose? Do I go home?”

Sean shook his head regretfully. “I don't know, to be completely honest. You'd probably have to stay here, in Fableland. We can't erase or create memories. I can look into it for you.”

I nodded. “If I lose and can't say goodbye, could you tell Orenda, Tam, Melinda, Gina, and Felicity that I'll miss them?”

“Will do. Actually…” he took out a small pad of paper and a pen. He scribbled something onto the top sheet, tore it off, then handed it to me. “In case you do stay.” He winked.

I smirked. “I’ll keep it in mind.” I sashayed away, feeling his eyes bore into my back. As I lifted the cloth walls, I saw an arrow sign pointing left. “That’ll do,” I muttered to myself. Chin up, keep the nose at a friendly level, eyes straight ahead. However, as confident I wanted to seem on the outside, I couldn’t stop turning over every negative possibility in my head. As I approached the colosseum, I squared my shoulders, reviewing everything that Orenda had taught me.

As I approached the gladiator entrance, a stage tech motioned for me to stop. They hustled over to me. “Were you briefed on the rules for this Trial before you came here?”

I nodded vaguely. “Don’t break anything or anyone beyond repair.” Right? I hoped so.

The tech smiled. “There’s no set number for how many Trialees are staying or leaving this time Trial. We’re down to 20 Trialees.”

I swallowed. “Christ, five already? It’s been a week and a half.”

The tech laughed humorlessly. “That’s the Trials, kid. Get with it, or get out.” He pressed a finger into an earpiece, nodding to himself after a moment. He lifted a chin towards me. “You’re on- the doors will open in a few moments, and you’ll walk through. The crowd will be silent, per regulation. There will be a casting circle, and nothing more. Is there anything that you don’t understand concerning this Trial?”

I shook my head, too apprehensive for words.

“I need a yes or a no, kid.”

“No.” I jiggled my leg, itching to start, rearing like a horse in a stall. Someone was announcing my name- suddenly, it all seemed so real, like I had awoken from a dream.

It was happening.

Sink.

Or.

Swim.

The doors opened.

My steps were long and measured, toes landing on the cobblestone first.

The wind rustled, pulling a few strands from my simple braid.

My heart pounded.

Deep breath in,

Deep breath out.

And

Sing.

And no matter how hard I tried, not a sound came out. It was as if someone had wrapped a hand around my vocal cords- not a peep, not a sound, not a word. I put a hand around my throat, only to find bare skin. What the hell?

The crowd was getting restless- murmurs and jeers rained down on my ears like acid rain. Heat flushed my skin, tears of panic and confusion coming to my eyes. What was happening? I searched for Orenda, Tam, Felicity, Melinda, ANYONE, all to no avail. By now people were shouting at me, throwing things into the arena. Nothing had hit me so far, but something would land on me soon.

I had to give it another try- I had to, I had to, I HAD to. I tried screeching-

Nothing but a faint whisper, like an old man wheezing.

I covered my mouth, horrified.

What was happening?

I turned around and ran for the entrance, pumping my legs as fast as I could. As I got closer, the crowd’s shouts became louder. Their voices were still indistinguishable from the other, but it would take someone deaf to not know how angry they were. When I did get to the entrance, I found it closed.

I closed my eyes, trying to stop tears from sliding down my cheeks. Finally, the gate opened. I dashed inside, eager to escape. I covered my mouth with one hand, holding back sobs.

“Stella!”

I opened my eyes and started running in the other direction. I didn’t want to see anyone- I was humiliated enough already, and I didn’t need anyone to make me feel worse. I chucked the stabilizers in the other direction.

“Stella! Stella, stop!

Orenda- it was Orenda. I shook my head and only ran faster.

Her steps neared, and a moment later one of her hands landed on my shoulder. “Stella, stop.” Her voice was soft, soothing.

I stopped, quivering like a leaf.

She turned me around, wiped the tears from my face, and pulled me in close. After a few minutes of gross sobbing, I pulled away. I sniffed, trying to get a grip. “So, what now? I’m assuming I’m getting the boot.”

She scrunched her eyebrows together. “I’ll see what I can do, but more likely than not…”

I nodded. “I get it. But honestly, Orenda, I don’t know what happened out there. I couldn’t even get a note out.”

“Could it have been nerves?” She asked.

I shook my head. “No, it was like someone was actually stopping me from singing.” I paused. “Could someone sabotage me?”

“I would not count on it. In the meantime, I’d start packing. You’ll still stay in Fableland, though.”

I laughed bitterly. “Of course. Thank you, Orenda.” I turned to leave when she spoke.

“And of the daggers?” I heard her pick up one of the stabilizers I had thrown in my fit, more likely than not turning it over in her weathered hands.

I stopped. “I’ll get them to you as soon as I’m done packing. Thanks for teaching me anyways.” I walked out to pack my bags, and head for who knew what.



© 2017 firabelle


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on March 28, 2017
Last Updated on March 28, 2017
Tags: Fableland


Author

firabelle
firabelle

Ann Arbor, , MI



About
I'ma high school student who loves shakespeare, classics, and fantasy/fiction, as well as writing. I'm looking to get my writing out there, and I thought this was the best place for it! more..

Writing
Anything Anything

A Poem by firabelle


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by firabelle