Lullaby

Lullaby

A Poem by Jason

 

“Don’t open your eyes”
 
She whispered
As the scent
Of spring flowers
Hovers in the winter air
 
“Don’t open your eyes”
 
In the darkness
Her voice
Like a beacon
In a sea of sounds,
Unfamiliar
 
“Shhh ,sleep now”
 
Still, I lay
Like a sheet of glass
On a calm
Serene sea
 
“Shhh, sleep now”
 
Silently breathed
As a prayer is said
Over me
Setting me free
As she lay a flower
(A pale red lily)
 
“Goodbye, love”
 
The dirge
Plays the songs
That set me free
Lowered into earth
“Sleep now”
You are free
Love
You are free

© 2008 Jason


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

hi, thanks for entering your work into my competition "something wicked this way comes". I just thought I'd review this piece because it really stood out to me. You've crafted it in a beautiful unique way that really captured the grief and loss evoked through the words of the poem. I loved the imagery, it was almost like I could see it all happening before me.
I also love that you showed instead of told, which not a lot of writers can do well- it's a skill that I'm constantly striving to work on myself, as well as find in the works I judge.
In saying that, your piece stands apart from most of the other works that have been entered because it's not an especially dark piece. I know 'darkness' is all subjective, and I'm perhaps a little desensitized to it, being a morbid sort of person... but it seems to be so different from the competition's intention.
I'll still keep your piece in mind, though I'm not sure I can give you an especially high award for this piece because it's so different from the competition's intention. It makes me feel really guilty to be honest because it's one of the most thought provoking poems I've read in a long time. 'Sigh', we'll just have to see how it goes!
Well done again, and thank you for sharing this amazing piece with the world of writerscafe!

Posted 15 Years Ago


gorgeous write jason. it felt odd to read and be lulled by something that was seeing death from the other side. i kept wanting to shout, "i'm still alive!" but at the same time, feeling remarkably calm.
great perspective.

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wasn't expecting that. :( Great write though. You "brought it" to coin a phrase. Kudos.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jason, this is a brilliant analogy to death. The contrast of peace and mystery is amazing.
Use of quotes adds to the depth of the piece. Sleep and freedom, you have me thinking...
Photo enhances this exceptional work of art. A favorite.
XOXOOXX

Posted 15 Years Ago


A very elegant perspective to death.
I commend you on this piece!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a great piece. You give a peaceful aspect to dying. I like the way you wrote this - using quotes as a loved one says goodbyes. Very creative.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is extremely beautiful in the lightness of the words. The tone is perfectly suited to the slumber.

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

awwww

the second don't open your eyes you wrote you instead of your

okay just wanted to get that over with

i loved this. i really did. and i liked how you called it a lullaby - it opens the poem for us, thinking that it's sweet and they're like in bed or something and it's like awwww but then, yeah he's totally dead.

haha i liked the use of dirge. :) this is really sweet and simple. well done my dear



Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow another great poem by you!!!
:)

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A Lullaby for one of the biggest sleeps you can have. I like it. You show how peaceful it is, making death less fearable.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

359 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 27, 2008
Last Updated on September 15, 2008

Author

Jason
Jason

Pasadena, CA



About
There are some really beautiful people on this site that I am glad to have met! So many have crossed my heart... - I already know that something is wrong with me, so no need to remind me when I.. more..

Writing
Chivalrous Chivalrous

A Screenplay by Jason


motion motion

A Poem by Jason



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Excuses Excuses

A Poem by Lalli