Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
The Power Of Palms

The Power Of Palms

A Story by Zoya

    There were lines on his face, lines of books on his shelf, lines of customers outside his tent, lines on tree trunks beyond the silky walls of his tent, and so forth; but the lines that interested him the most were the ones on the palms of the lady sitting opposite to him. 
     "How now, sir?" anxiously beseeched the lady, after the palm reader looked at her hand with great deliberation. 
     "Hmm...interesting...very interesting. I see that you and your life have undergone many changes in the recent past...?" said he, wanting to sound more and more contemplative. 
    "Eh, well, yeah...I have" Seriously? Isn't that obvious from my protruding tummy.
    "I knew it!" he exclaimed, snapping his fingers. He then continued examining her palms. 
    "I perceive you're having difficulty dealing with life aren't you? You're experiencing certain things which you have never experienced before" 
     It could well be estimated from the lady's youthful looks that her belly had tumefied for the very first time.
    "Hell, yes" replied she, whose restlessness grew with the palm reader's every sentence. "Perhaps if you could just foresee my future..." she implored in her softest of voices, throwing glances at the modified part of her body. 
    "You should've told me before, madam! Nevermind, nevermind. Give me a bit" he said in an irritated tone and went back to the lady's hand. 
    "I apologise. You know I just-" 
    "Hush, madam! You need to maintain silence. I...I can see it. Hush" 
     All of it seemed more like a game of pretence to her, though she found it better to keep her mouth shut. 
    "I sense the presence of four people, that is to say- the doctor, the nurse, your baby, and you, during the auspicious time of nativity" he theorised, staring straight into her eyes. 
    Is this some kind of joke? "Tell me something else!" she grumbled; her annoyance reaching its limits. 
    "Calm down, madam. Calm down" he sweat nervously. 
    "Okay, hold on, I got something else..." he continued, "Hmm...I see...I see a lotus! And it's peach-tinged petals. The petals- they...they slowly unfold...and what they reveal is the head-" 
     Before the palm reader could break the so-called suspense, he was thrown back onto the ground along with his chair by the mighty hard blow. And the victorious lady stomped out of the purple and gold tent, showing him the true power of palms.

© 2022 Zoya


Author's Note

Zoya
What say?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well done. The introduction led us to the exact spot we needed for a proper beginning. The information was carefully rationed throughout the tale and the ending was sudden and surprising, perhaps not a strategic surprise but surely a tactical surprise.

So you think there is nothing to palmistry? Nothing at all? Even skepticism is a story mine. Thanks for sharing this.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Delmar! Glad you liked it. There sure is something to palmistry. I just believe it's losi.. read more
Delmar Cooper

6 Years Ago

Of course I agree about fortune telling hucksterism. I do believe there are people, rather like the.. read more
Zoya

6 Years Ago

I understand what you're saying, and I do agree to it. Thank you again for your time and review.



Reviews

I love that ending. The so-called "psychic" totally deserved to have a little sense slapped into him. I was getting more and more annoyed with his antics, and the ending is a great conclusion.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Clifford! I truly appreciate it
I LOVE THIS PIECE.

For such a short piece, you bring us into a world which has been brilliantly executed. The dialogue was really well execute and totally believable. I alos enjoyed the brief thought - this is EXACTLY how a normal person would think. (Little details like this always go a long way. Once again you have presented the reader with a piece that is has us engaged from the first line.

Zoe, you are going to go far in the world of writing - KEEP WRITING and I will keep reading.

Brilliant twist at the end- Loved It!!!

100/100

Mark.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you so very much Mr.mark! Coming from you, it does mean a lot. Glad you liked it!
Oh, what a wonderful story! You begin with all the different 'lines' immediately engaging our interest. The account of the session with the palm reader was so well told. Then the end. I roared with laughter! Your play on the word 'palm' was brilliant!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading and your kind words, Aunt Astri!
Lol! What a great plot twist. I didn't see that coming and nor did the unfortunate palm reader it seems. Never mess with a pregnant woman! Very impressed with this short story. One of the best I've read in a long time. Thank you for sharing! :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words, Andronicus. I appreciate it! :)
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I love a broad who can slap the silly outta some asshat! This made my day. I see by your profile that you are very young and already demonstrating incredible talent. I will be expecting to see you on the New York Times Best Sellers List in five years, young lady!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Oh gosh, THIS made MY day! Thank you so much, Carol. I truly appreciate it :)
"Hmm....interesting.... Very interesting story."
Kept me hooked!
You've mastered short stories.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Tazeen!
Interesting story Zoe!
I loved the way you structured the palm reader's dialogues.
You are truly a unique writer Zoe:)


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

I appreciate the comment, Neetha. Thank you very much :)
Zephyr

6 Years Ago

Your welcome!
I just loved the ending. Great job... Power of palms indeed

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you. I appreciate the comment!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Very witty, Zoe!

You have written a story with a very imaginative theme and one which does have a relevance in our reality; the presence of tricksters using all manner of hocus pocus to prey on the simple of mind in pursuit of easy money.

It was great that your main character was not fooled in the end and truly did show him the power of the palm!
Now....i foresee a cricket match.....balls....bats.....and a winning team........;)

Another fine story. Very inventive with a humorous little ending twist. Well Done, as always.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Ahaha, a spot on prediction! Ill be looking forward to it. Lol. Thank you for your review, Doodley. .. read more
Witty scene - good dialogue - reminds me of the wizard of oz 'behind the curtain' scene for some reason.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Haha, thanks Tony! I appreciate the review.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1139 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 27, 2017
Last Updated on February 22, 2022

Author

Zoya
Zoya

India



About
Twenty-one and learning🌻 more..

Writing
Forevers Forevers

A Story by Zoya



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Love Smoke Love Smoke

A Poem by Paul Bell