Fate

Fate

A Story by Thom
"

The story is open to your interpretation, what do you think?

"
 

No, I am not human. In fact, I like to think of myself as an observer, a silent watcher, over that species condition. I like to think of them as a rather curious group. In my years of studying I have found the 'Human Condition' rather disturbing. It has occurred to me that all the wrong in their world, all the pain is what makes them human. Rather intriguing isn't it? Now, I find that all the bitterness, all the frost covered emotions in this world is what defines them.

Yes, I speak as if I am not apart of this world, because I am not. However, there was a time, not to long ago, when I found myself falling into the 'Human Condition', when I found myself attached to the species very existence. Who am I? Some call me Nature, others call me fate, but you, you can call me Nameless. And this? This is the story of a dying world and a dominant condition.

2nd of February 2002, Monday.

The week started like any other in a depressing February. The Sun pokes his head out, barely breaching the cold that lays lordship over the world. He tries hard through the morning to break the stubborn absence, but the sun's brightness shows no effect over the temperature still fluctuating between 5 and 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I also notice the humans (just as they do on every Monday) go to their cars to plow their way to work.

How curious that most know of the growing destruction of the world, and yet they stay completely ignorant. But that is not what is the most curious to me; the most curious thing that I have noted on this cold day is that those that seem more aware of the world are labeled insane and overlooked. How will the humans act if they insist on blinding themselves to the truth?

On this Monday, I decided to delve into the life  of a particular 'Mentally disturbed' 17 year-old. His name (not that it matters to the humans) is Lev Fate, and he decided to start this day on his left foot. Lev wakes up hoping to see the sunlight, but he knows full well that the oblique, white walls of his prison will not let him. After five minutes of complete nothingness, a nurse walks into the room through the white door.

“Good morning Lev, how are you today?” She says with a tone of disguised disgust, “Its time for your pills.”

What For?Why are we so different from you furthermore? How so can we start this day when all is still the same.

The nurse sighs, “I already told you,” She says with fake kindness, “Dr. Everest had diagnosed you with Schizophrenia, and Split-Personality-Disorder, you know you can't live like this.”

“I can live however I want.” Lev said with a false confidence, he knew, just as I do, that the humans could never bring themselves to accept him for who he is.

The nurse then gave him his pill, which did little to stay his hallucinations, or did little to suppress the uniqueness which I so intensely study.

“All better Lev?” the nurse asked with little curiosity.

“What is better, What you define? We would much rather sit with all but ourselves and our rhyme then go to the false god who think himself so much better.”

“You know better than than that Lev, it is simply is not an option.” the nurse said now losing the little patience she had for the 'Mentally Disturbed.'

The nurse then led Lev through the white halls and the white walls, until eventually they arrived. The door that they stopped at was a mahogany brown, and with supreme gold letters it said on the top 'Dr. Everest'. The nurse knocked twice and left, leaving Lev to the devices of one psychologist.

The door opened to reveal a short, and stout man who seemed prepare for whatever may occur behind the very thing he stood before.

The doctor proposed a rhetorical question, “Good morning Lev, may I ask you to come in?”

To that Lev did not respond, and rightfully so. Instead he walked in to the room comprising of a leather couch and a desk, laden with pictures and family mementos. Dr. Everest did not indicate this, but Lev knew that the next step in this grueling ordeal was to sit in the couch before him, and so each took there place on the board. Lev sat on the couch, which felt like it was composed of tacks and pins, and the doctor stood at his desk, quietly just before he unleashed the storm.

“Now Lev, who am I speaking too?”

“You speak to the lost souls, the poets in prison, the ones suppressed by the human condition.”

“Yes, I see, and who tells you these things?”

Well, he knows us well now. He tells us that we are the Fate of this world. We are the case that show the decay of this world unfurled. He is Nameless.”

Dr. Everest responded with his usual introductory statement, “And is he with us now?”

“Yes, I see him right now. Beside you in fact.” Lev said, “He says that I have yet something to accomplish before the dusk of this day.”

“And what does 'Nameless' look like?” Dr. Everest said.

“You know this already Doctor, he is an eagle.”

“And he tells us of something rather odd, about a short and stout sod. A doctor and his wife,”

“I Love my wife, I-” the doctor could barely say.

-The first of many, one whose life was spent but a penny. Spent by he who thought supreme. And then when no life could yet from her teem, he crept down the stairs, and from her was the crimson spilled. How mercilessly had you killed. Well listen here doctor-”

“SECURITY!”

“-We shall no longer take the stained looks of your dominant condition. Know that no luck or superstition can break us because we are no longer human. And how curious does Nameless find your dying world.”

By then the useless security had arrived, but the damage was already spent, the truth already revealed. Lev was then forced out of the office with a fit of screaming and kicking, the onlookers giving it but a second look. It was just a normal day in the life of an unfit human. The security then followed protocol, placing Lev in his prison, forcing him into a straight jacket.

2nd February 2010 Monday 4:30 PM


I laid down next to Lev, comforting him. I told him that his task here was done and the event yet to come was a good thing, that he would be separated from the world whose doom was imminent. And just as I said this, Dr. Everest came in.

“You think that anyone listens to the words of one who is classified insane?” Doctor Everest whispered, “Yes your right, I murdered her, but not to listen to the ramblings of someone who some how knows.” Lev could not respond, but even so, he was not scared, “Do not think of this as medically necessary, but think of it as my retaliation.” With that the doctor revealed a syringe in his hand. He then quickly jabbed Lev in the neck with it.


Then the world of the dominant, dying condition went black.


I once told you that I once briefly apart of the human world. I come to tell you that the brief moment in which that was, was the moment I told myself that the things that were happening were good. I once told you that I was called Nameless, well long before that, I was called Lev Fate. And on that day, when the doctor crept into my prison to murder once more, my world died.

The 'Human Condition' I learned on that day was something more than just the pain they enjoy to wallow in, it is also the need that they had to put themselves over the other species, especially over the 'Mentally Disturbed'. Certainly this condition was to be the fate of my world.

© 2010 Thom


Author's Note

Thom
Please comment I wish to know what I can work on.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow, pretty good, the ending was kinda "shutter island"-esque, if you know what I mean, maybe not shutter Island, but there was I book I read a while back that had a similar plotline of "no-one listens to the crazies, even when they tell the truth" its not that uncommon. also, you said rhetoric question, you meant rhetorical.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

323 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 17, 2010
Last Updated on September 20, 2010
Tags: insane, mentally, disturbed, fate, human, condition, murder

Author

Thom
Thom

Chicago, IL



About
Casual poetry writer more..

Writing
Present Present

A Poem by Thom


This is the End This is the End

A Poem by Thom


Temporary Temporary

A Poem by Thom