Silence

Silence

A Poem by courtney
"

a poem I wrote when sitting in a room full of strangers, that first word is always the hardest to speak.

"
Sitting in silence 
You could almost hear a pin drop 
Sitting so still
You could hear my breath stop
The ice has finally been broken 
Long moments of quiet 
And the first word has been spoken

© 2012 courtney


Author's Note

courtney
please give me your honest opinion, just please, don't be rude

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
xx
You convey the strain of the situation well with this poem; I'm no stranger to the feeling of being in a room full of people who are too hesitant to speak to one another and yet are uncomfortable maintaining the silence. I've always said that awkwardness is collective; if one person breaks the chain, the rest will follow. If one person breaches the dam, the river will flow.

Line two, however, has a misspelling. "Here" should be spelled "hear," but other than that one typo, I see no errors.

The metaphor in line five is particularly apt, a safe choice to use as a parallel for the situation. This is a short poem, but as I said earlier, it succeeds in conveying the appropriate emotions.

Keep writing! :)

-Mina

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like it. The short style, economy of words, gets your point across and is fitting for the subject matter. We get so worked up over what we fear, rather than the situation itself. You illustrate that well here.


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 3, 2012
Last Updated on April 4, 2012
Tags: silence, awkward, shy, breaking, ice

Author

courtney
courtney

MA



About
I'm currently a junior in high school, I'm hoping on heading off to college this September for Graphic design. Writing poetry is what has kept me alive and fighting for so long, If you treat me with r.. more..

Writing
Regrets Regrets

A Poem by courtney


Quit It Quit It

A Poem by courtney