Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

A Story by French Flair

 

It was a crisp August morning, just a week before the new school term began, when 12-year-old Annie Carmichael walked down the carpeted stairs into the living room. The temperature outside was low, and outside the gleeful shouts of children playing in the leaves. She stared outside through the glass pane, longingly.
 
"Annie, some cocoa?" She turned around as her mom called her name, drawling out the words slowly as she pointed to a steaming cup of cocoa in her hand. It took Annie a few moments to respond, when she finally shook her head solemnly, her long hair hanging down her back.
 
Annie sat down on the worn-out couch, dazed, "Mommy..." she said, "Paper..." she made the shape of a rectangle with her slender fingers, so that it resembled a letter. "Come yet?" She finally asked, with much difficulty.
 
Dyslexia had been a learning disability that Annie had coped with since the age of ten, and therefore she constantly struggled with communicating with others as well as with completing her schoolwork.
 
Her mother's eyes lit up as she went to the kitchen and came back, a slim envelope in her hand. She passed it to Annie, her eyes filled with hope; "Go on," She motioned for Annie to open it, accompanying her on the couch as she proceeded to rip open the envelope, her small hands trembling. The letter was fairly long, and her brown eyes scanned through it, confused.
 
Annie began to read the first line, "Dear... M... Mi... Miss Carmi... Carmichael," she paused for a bit, regaining confidence, "We are... p... pleased to... inform you that," she took a deep breath, "You h... have been ac... accepted to the New York School for... Girls," she finished. She stared blankly for a moment, until the words finally processed.
 
She had been accepted!
 
Unable to contain her emotions, she frolicked around the room in joy, knowing that she was finally capable. There was a point in her life where dyslexia had stood in the way of Annie and her dreams, but not anymore. She embraced her mother in a warm hug as tears of happiness welled her eyes.
 
She had done it.

© 2008 French Flair


Author's Note

French Flair
Hope you guys will enjoy it and see the message that anything is possible if you just believe and have the confidence. Let me know what you think! (:

xx

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can connect to this story but in a different way. Not with disabilaties but skill. I worked my butt of in basketball since 4th grade. In sixth grade it paid off and then in 7th grade I really started to get better when the coach set me up on the junior high team durring the summer. I was the only one going into 8th grade who played with the 9th graders. Then a new coach came and she played only the 9th graders. I worked hard and now I'm a 10th grade starter on the Varsity High School team. Your message really said something to me. NEVER GIVE UP! I hope thats right. I loved your story. It was well writen. Will you please go and review some of my work and stories. I really work hard on them!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 24, 2008