Backhand

Backhand

A Poem by Frieda P

What is that scribbled aspersion behind your eyes
one astride invective and the backhands will fly
filter your tongue lashing or the tooling will flog
excruciating anti snap and i'm on 'your mother's' case
'be' more like her and you'd not force the hand
no realization that the kick and guff did it for you
wiser with the passing of august's deadened light
five minutes and time can stand still for eternity
no more tocks for that mouse o'clock
back flash it and history repeats a caution
when the breath ceases no rain shall fall 
there'll be more judge and jury abreast me




                                                            

© 2013 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P
This might not make sense to many of you but I needed to wrangle it from my head and pen it. Once when I was 17, I arrived home five minutes late and my 'father' hit me so hard he broke my nose and in the meantime broke his watch on my face. It stopped at the exact time he hit me, and afterwards he bragged about it, how he made time stop at that precise moment, blahblahblah. All this because he thought I was with 'boys' which was a big no no.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I felt unsettled as I read the poem. The authors note made me furious. How could a man call himself a man and ever harm a woman. More so, his own child! I just don't get it.
Somehow goodness came from his blood in you. Your life his unearned salvation.
I give you my tears.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

Thanks David, that's one of the memories that stays fresh in the mind, no matter how much time passe.. read more



Reviews

Wow. Reminds me of my childhood too. I'm sorry you had to go through that Frieda. A very strong, powerful poem and very brave of you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

Yep, like growing up with wolves!
Carolann Dowsett

11 Years Ago

I'm sure that would have been quite lovely in comparison.
Frieda P

11 Years Ago

EXACTLY!
Your father's a dick. Flag this comment, I don't give a rats a*s. Indians discipline their kids to better their futures, Italians to teach them family values, children around the world get scolded and corrected but which parent breaks a kids nose and then brags about it. F*****g demented. Well whatever it is, glad we have you here with us Frieda, you're the pillar of this site and for me you're not only an inspiration, a friend, you're also an aspect of strength that all the kids here should look up too and learn something from. Everyday I learn something new through your writing or from our goofy conversations. You teach me no matter how messed up life is, be positive and joke away the tears. Come over for lunch now, I'll cook specially for you!

Posted 11 Years Ago


What a forceful poem... the words really punch you in the gut... but with the subject matter that is perfect... those who abuse are in need of a good butt kicking.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very powerful emotions fueled this piece, and I felt them with each word. Bleeding this poison from your veins by writing about it is the best way to cope sometimes...thank you for sharing this with us, Frieda, and stay strong.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I know this is a small consolation for one who's had to endure such a violation of their youth, but you survived, and a stronger woman because of it, and a freer one...I do believe freedom was one of the items on that checklist :) If he's still alive, I can assure you there WILL be a time in his life when regret begins to haunt him...and if he isn't, I can also assure you that his sleep is anything but peaceful.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Thank you for the Author's note. Still no excuse for hitting your child. The poem described a bad situation. Thank you for sharing the excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


I felt unsettled as I read the poem. The authors note made me furious. How could a man call himself a man and ever harm a woman. More so, his own child! I just don't get it.
Somehow goodness came from his blood in you. Your life his unearned salvation.
I give you my tears.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

Thanks David, that's one of the memories that stays fresh in the mind, no matter how much time passe.. read more
A really evocative piece, Frieda. Sad and powerful this poem has the force to move... Those are moments we can never forget. Thank you for sharing this


Diego

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

I only wish the the really good memories reverberated so much emotion as those bad that stick in the.. read more
the last two lines say so much. sad story, angry poem,, THIS? I don't wonder about. Most would feel the way you do.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

It's just something that stays with you, I'd have endured a thousand slaps over the other, I think i.. read more
so...how long have you been abusing mushrooms, and do you have any more? but seriously, when i read this the first time i felt like you were on a really high high, you know , much like mushrooms and or good cush...but after reading the author's note i felt somewhat ashamed of my initial reaction and actually went to that place in your past and wanted to strike your father in your defense. wow, girl...oh how different this write reads now. big hug...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

You know quin, sometimes or often I should say when I write these things, it's as if I'm not writing.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 6, 2013
Last Updated on January 6, 2013

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Going Back Going Back

A Poem by Mark


Swahili Swahili

A Poem by Mark