Barbed Wired Bully

Barbed Wired Bully

A Poem by Frieda P
"

"Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, according to the CDC. Bully victims are 9 times more likely to consider suicide."

"
Please take your medicine,
       your darkness is devouring my sight
what were you expecting, 
             i tried to break your fall
long silences and outbursts of pure rancid evil
bones splintered to the core
                           of lunatic's withdrawal
loose cannons of barbed wire wrap around my mind
i woke up yesterday with a tombstone in my eyes
             crushed up glass in my coffee instead of creamer
rolled over to pretend I was still asleep in your head
               no time to waste on being devoured on a thread
staring down the barrel of an intentional plinker 
              sleeping with my own Baretta on lock & load
balancing this bird on a razor wire of slick crystal write
             it's slipping away, was a little too late for cake
power of the darkness is terse & tensely overwhelming
               drowning in the murky waters of past wastelands
there are no wildflower posy's left to be sowed
 still holding on to that final letter of reality to conquer insanity


Recent School Bullying and Cyberbullying Statistics Show That:

  • 1 out of 4 kids are Bullied.
  • 77% of students are bullied mentally, verbally, & physically. Cyberbullying statistics are rapidly approaching similar numbers, with 43% experiencing cyberbullying.
  • Of the 77% of students that said they had been bullied, 14% of those who were bullied said they experienced severe (bad) reactions to the abuse.
  • 1 in 5 students admit to being a bully, or doing some "Bullying."
  • Each day 160,000 students miss school for fear of being bullied.
  • 43% of kids fear harassment in the bathroom at school.
  • 100,000 students carry a gun to school.
  • 28% of youths who carry weapons have witnessed violence at home.
  • 282,000 students are physically attacked in secondary schools each month.
  • More youth violence occurs on school grounds as opposed to on the way to school.
  • Playground school bullying statistics - Every 7 minutes a child is bullied. Adult intervention - 4%. Peer intervention - 11%. No intervention - 85%.

© 2013 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My Oldest child was bullied and I will probably say that I was bullied by her father and that is why she found it acceptable. she, with a much quieter nature than my own quivered in fear each day and took on the twisted mental state of her boyfriend..the bully-er. She thought if she acted out she could get him help but it consumed her and she got so dark in her own depression I thought I might lose her. She stole, lied, became a cutter..ect ect. she is better now, but never fully recovered from those two years. Thank you Freida for posting this! For letting the statistics be heard! It is SO scary! You did an AMAZING job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

I hear you, my father was a bully also, he used to push us around and my mother was scared to death .. read more



Reviews

Not enough can be written on the subject - especially when kids are involved. It just makes no sense to me. Why treat people any other way than how you would want them to treat you?!?!?!

balancing this bird on a razor wire of slick crystal write
it's slipping away, was a little too late for cake

i like the edginess and imagery you have on this one. and the stats just hammer the importance of the message home. nice job frieda.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

I agree Luke, especially when it comes to the kids, but there are adult bullies too...a friend of mi.. read more
"...loose cannons of barbed wire wrap around my mind
i woke up yesterday with a tombstone in my eyes..."

Wow, Frieda. That's all I can say. The truth is I've never really experienced bullying of any kind firsthand. I was teased occasionally, but to actually fear going to school? No, I can't imagine what that would've been like. Very powerful and eye-opening. Thank you for sharing this.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Consider yourself lucky Rebecca, it's a terrible experience and so many young kids are affected, tha.. read more
A crafted piece that slaps one about the face and wakes us up to the reality happening around us, well done, good read.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Grazie mille love...
Powerful. Thank you for sharing...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Skittles.
As much as this is appreciated. Bullying isn't going to stop. All the seminars and awareness wil only touch so many people.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

True, and someone else told me that even when she's reported them, nothing was done, it's sad to say.. read more
the imagery in this is stellar- tomb stone in your eyes, splintering bones, and broken glass in your coffee- all so lovely!

experiencing this first hand i can say you've portrayed it rather accurately. your sentiments are noble and i really enjoyed reading.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks for your visit and thoughts here Dana, much appreciated.
This rendered me speechless...your articulation in imagery is always amazing, so when it is focused on something of this manner, it really hits hard xx

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much Poppy, much appreciate your thoughts here. xxo
As a teacher this horrifies me. As a person who was bullied it doesn't surprise me. Both affected me deeply.
Whilst I was teaching I intervened every time I saw or suspected. Even if I turned out to be wrong. I reasoned that if I was wrong 9 times out of 10. One was good enough for me.
I tried to counsel both bully and victim equally but I must admt to a lingering hatred of bullying in any form.
So much for subject matter, now to form. Using such words and rich vocabulary would tend to place a line between the reader and the subject. Not so. I find it enhances rather than distracts.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

It's become quite the joke when she made her Oscar acceptance speech 'You like me, you really like m.. read more
Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

Ah. Capisce.
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

;-) ................
Bullies suck. I was lucky though, I had a few incidents of near being physically bullied back in middle school,thankfully some bystander stepped in and that ended that. Too much violence and not enough parenting in my opinion.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shaun Payton

10 Years Ago

Some kids bully parents.
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

True too, which I find absurd, where do you go from there.....
Shaun Payton

10 Years Ago

Military school haha
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
NA
I got bullied for being different and shy....tried so hard to turn the other cheek but in the end I snapped, sad that it came to that but I never got bullied again.......powerful message!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Good on you Raven, that's what they need, doesn't always work out that way though, thanks so much!
NA

10 Years Ago

My mum would say turn the other cheek, my dad would say take down the biggest one and the rest would.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2601 Views
55 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on June 22, 2013
Last Updated on June 24, 2013
Tags: online cyberbullying, child abuse, bullies, insanity, evil, bullying, students

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


This Blood This Blood

A Poem by Frieda P