Barbed Wired Bully

Barbed Wired Bully

A Poem by Frieda P
"

"Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, according to the CDC. Bully victims are 9 times more likely to consider suicide."

"
Please take your medicine,
       your darkness is devouring my sight
what were you expecting, 
             i tried to break your fall
long silences and outbursts of pure rancid evil
bones splintered to the core
                           of lunatic's withdrawal
loose cannons of barbed wire wrap around my mind
i woke up yesterday with a tombstone in my eyes
             crushed up glass in my coffee instead of creamer
rolled over to pretend I was still asleep in your head
               no time to waste on being devoured on a thread
staring down the barrel of an intentional plinker 
              sleeping with my own Baretta on lock & load
balancing this bird on a razor wire of slick crystal write
             it's slipping away, was a little too late for cake
power of the darkness is terse & tensely overwhelming
               drowning in the murky waters of past wastelands
there are no wildflower posy's left to be sowed
 still holding on to that final letter of reality to conquer insanity


Recent School Bullying and Cyberbullying Statistics Show That:

  • 1 out of 4 kids are Bullied.
  • 77% of students are bullied mentally, verbally, & physically. Cyberbullying statistics are rapidly approaching similar numbers, with 43% experiencing cyberbullying.
  • Of the 77% of students that said they had been bullied, 14% of those who were bullied said they experienced severe (bad) reactions to the abuse.
  • 1 in 5 students admit to being a bully, or doing some "Bullying."
  • Each day 160,000 students miss school for fear of being bullied.
  • 43% of kids fear harassment in the bathroom at school.
  • 100,000 students carry a gun to school.
  • 28% of youths who carry weapons have witnessed violence at home.
  • 282,000 students are physically attacked in secondary schools each month.
  • More youth violence occurs on school grounds as opposed to on the way to school.
  • Playground school bullying statistics - Every 7 minutes a child is bullied. Adult intervention - 4%. Peer intervention - 11%. No intervention - 85%.

© 2013 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My Oldest child was bullied and I will probably say that I was bullied by her father and that is why she found it acceptable. she, with a much quieter nature than my own quivered in fear each day and took on the twisted mental state of her boyfriend..the bully-er. She thought if she acted out she could get him help but it consumed her and she got so dark in her own depression I thought I might lose her. She stole, lied, became a cutter..ect ect. she is better now, but never fully recovered from those two years. Thank you Freida for posting this! For letting the statistics be heard! It is SO scary! You did an AMAZING job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

I hear you, my father was a bully also, he used to push us around and my mother was scared to death .. read more



Reviews

I saw the unrequited love of an abusive relationship here. Always reaching out an extra hand to help out the fallen other, only to be betrayed by ruthless linguistics. I didn't quite find what everyone else saw, I suppose..

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Intriguing review, always love your viewpoint here Tai....
Seems to me most of these awful statistics stem from too much knowledge of the world too early....and too many influences outside the home and family. Kids are exposed to a plethora of adulthood, either increasing their complex of superiority- or inferiority - with no balance or censure to straighten them up by a society bent on competition. Sorry, rambling again, sweet. Nice one. P.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Not rambling, I wholeheartedly agree with you, children younger and younger are accessing the intern.. read more
the poem was really strong and powerful, really good write, i liked the information and also the music provided with the poem, shinedown is a really good band. Bullying will stop when people who know a bully don't encourage him/her.. the laughing and the silence fuels the soul of a bully. We're all human, we're all flawed in someway or the other, lets not bring each other down for it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Hear, hear to your words, that doesn't help those defenseless kids that are usually the target thoug.. read more
Whoa! the music did my head in you bully! Nice description of the problem. It is hard to know why kids have to do this as part of their cultural growth. Do we engender it is our fast paced lives that seem to have neglected to give our children a loving stable home life and not one where we are always competing and working to earn money!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Ha John, grow up, and turn the volume down! I don't know the answer to that, seems to be an ever in.. read more
John Alexander McFadyen

10 Years Ago

Another Pickle scolding. My flesh has been scourged!
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Ahhh but it hurts sooooooooo good! ;-)
Thank you for your poetry and the facts. World had never been easy. Always been bullies. I taught my kids don't accept it and be proud of themselves. We must know our kids. New world is hard. Kids see little positive in the news and real life. We must give hope and show our kids. We will stand with them in the good and the bad times. Thank you for the facts.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

New world is a much scarier place to be a kid, bombarded by so many more images now due to modern te.. read more
Wow this is a scary insight into growing up in America. The poem is nice if also frightening.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

It's very frightening, thanks Gabriel.
It starts in the playground and ends with wars and we wonder at the state of the world . Great write Frieda!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Exactly MOON, I see it in small children every day, the problem only tends to get worse, thanks so m.. read more
Bullys are everywhere, schools, colleges, universities. Adults can also be seen being treated this way, there's something wrong with our social structure. A strong and well written poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

The thing is what to do with this broken social structure, thanks so much Zahra.
A brilliant piece of work there highlighting some pretty shocking statistics.
Bullying is of course reprehensible in whatever form it takes, and it can take many.

Indeed there are some young people out there experiencing it who don't even know that they're being bullied, assuming instead that what they tolerate is the norm. It isn't.
To torment some poor soul, to make the choice, and it IS a choice, to hound that persons very life on a regular sometimes daily basis is one of the most truly vile and divisive acts in which people can engage.

Oh they aren't evil. Nothing so sophisticated as that can be offered as description.
They're just dumb. Too dumb to see the toll their anaemically under-considered actions take.

These people need to be educated and made to understand that everyone is entitled to a harmonious existence. Lets stop bullying, and maybe one day make it a thing of the past.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Very shocking indeed, and they are probably much higher, these are those that were reported. Thanks.. read more
Brett Pritchard

10 Years Ago

You are truly welcome.

BP
aqnother poem about the hateful side of humans....Will we ever eradicate this?

the idealist in me says yes..the cynic knows that is not true

great poem Frieda....keep fighting the cause

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks Dave, we all fight together...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2601 Views
55 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on June 22, 2013
Last Updated on June 24, 2013
Tags: online cyberbullying, child abuse, bullies, insanity, evil, bullying, students

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


This Blood This Blood

A Poem by Frieda P