~secret's garden dancing to the end of love

~secret's garden dancing to the end of love

A Poem by Frieda P
"

...inspired by Leonard Cohen

"
Secret's garden dancing to the end of love,
    flowers prancing on skies' vaulted ceiling
swaying to the beat of the rain, 
  & the heat within a thunderous roar,
     unearthed in destiny's call of the wild
  uprooted to play in the garden of Eden



I've always been enamored by the song 'Dance me to the End of Love', I was fascinated to learn that Leonard Cohen actually wrote it about the horrors of concentration camps. They would be playing classical music while their fellow prisoners were being killed and burnt in certain death camps, whilst a string quartet played on as prisoners met their fated deaths. So, the lyrics signify the completion of life in essence...'Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin'...still makes me think of the sweetness of love but perhaps in a much more complex way and with a better appreciation of life.

© 2014 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

In the movie, "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly", used a similar idea as prisoners were tortured and often killed for information as the whole camp was forced to listen to violin music, knowing full well what was going on.

I didn't know what was behind this song thinking it was just a L. Cohen metaphor for love forever. So I appreciate your note to this poem. His poetry and music was often on the edge of consciously resistance to the ugliness in the world. L. C was our social consciousness. Frieda, many of your poems bring forth this same humanity. Not only being influenced, but applying and taking this further in what you create. This "Secret Garden" must be uprooted, replanted with a new humanity no longer associated with abuse, degradation,and death camps.

I think there is love in your poem Frieda, and its complexities, and where flowers and humanity prance in those skies... It's a wonderful poem Frieda, I love it and you for writing it.
~~redzone

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Jeez Curt, you brought tears to my eyes, what a touching review, you've touched my heart deeply...no.. read more



Reviews

With your choice of words you definitely nailed what you wanted to portray, a beautiful one

Posted 9 Years Ago


Amazing write Frieda, stunning, just stunning.


Kaze~

Posted 9 Years Ago


Garden of Eden! What a wondrous metaphor for lustrous beginnings when the room was so much bigger than it is now; for the secret garden had once thrived endlessly in the room it was placed in, yet, with time the secret garden had grown until it could no longer grow in the same room . . . Suffocating in the same place, in the same air once so ecstatic with excitement. Uprooting itself to go back to the Garden of Eden . . . To the beginning, where the young garden had thrived in the past.

Brilliant!

Posted 9 Years Ago


You made me get a better apreciation of life as well. Thank you.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I enjoyed the story this is based on, and how perfectly your words were pinned !
'The secret garden' used to be related to death (in those camps) But reading your elegant poem, it sure did win a whole new meaning, LOVE ...
Captivating work as always!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Again, your poetry is very romantic. I very much enjoyed this one too

Posted 9 Years Ago


Beautiful words and places you took me in your words. We need secret places to find love and hope. Thank you for sharing the outstanding poetry.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


You have such a unique writing style- it is distinct and effortlessly captivating.

Beautifully penned.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I enjoyed your images before I read your note; after re-reading, a deeper meaning and irony becomes clear. Excellent poetry, Frieda.

Posted 9 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

744 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 9, 2014
Last Updated on July 9, 2014

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Moments Moments

A Poem by MsJewel