~the thunder of history in her eyes

~the thunder of history in her eyes

A Poem by Frieda P
"

Inspired by art _ Old Woman Who Loved Pigeons by Judy Somerville

"
grasp of cold fingers touch
                within a warm humbl'd heart,
    speaks through blurred cataract’d vision
her aging world now seems small & inconsequential
     yet her stories are larger than the universe,
extend'd years lived to their fullest purpose
                never rest'd on her laurels
  even way back when women were tied to the kitchen
          she made her voice heard,
 albeit now a bit shaky & wavering 
    within her embolden'd apron strings
                unfold'd upon secrets,
           impart'd a million trial test'd smiles, 
held joy in her hands,
        aside her share of sadness in her heart
dealt with loss,  paid the piper plenty,
    revel'd in her golden glory days too
her hushed words nonetheless powerful,
    wisdom beyond compare, and then some to spare
    each earn'd wrinkle etch'd 
                    tells a story of intrigue, 
If you listen closely, with intent, you can still hear 
         the thunder of history in her eyes...

© 2014 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ah, Frieda... this was my first tasty treat from the Cafe this morning... I even listened to the lovely song (first... ) before I read your even lovelier words. Grandmother's (was this about yours in part?) are special beings--grown from long experience with all sorts of life's weather.

I was a lucky boy... I knew all my grandparents and seven of eight of my great grandparents, but my mom's mother... Maw Ruby was beyond priceless. Your poem has that gentle grandmother swag (my new favorite word... stolen from my middle school daughter) it waltzed into my mind and danced with my memories of her, Thanks so much for sharing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Sadly, I never knew either, they lived in Italy, I finally met one when I visited, and she was in su.. read more



Reviews

Another beautiful piece, Frieda. :) Nicely written.

Posted 9 Years Ago


lovely lovely - and a slight detour from your more prevailing shimmery winds...and dark storms. I liked it much and it made me miss my grandma. Yup.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is such a lovely tribute. Elder people may be ignored by some but they carry wisdom from realities of life. Well done. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


This was stunning Frieda...what a great little reminder and an ode to all our aging friends, family etc.

Life really is short isn't it?

Troy

Posted 9 Years Ago


Great piece of art inspired by another one.

Ahh lovely ending.. This description is just awesome.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I love this, Frieda. This poem reminds me of my grandmother who dies in May. I felt her presence around me while reading this poem. I love this. Thank you for sharing it. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


That was amazing!I'll say that I was missfortunate not to assist a talk with my grand_parents, they died long before my birth. So while reading your poem I wished I had the opportunity of reflecting it on my grand-parents, but don't worry it hadn't keep me of enjoying it. Besides, what was the picture for ;) Sorry for bringing this whole story of pasts, in time you need to hear something on your poem. It was really heartfelt, touching.

Posted 9 Years Ago


You portray the perspective of a woman so experienced that the world seems so very boring, yet to others who have not lived all the moments she has lived, her history sounds so mind-blowing and marvelous despite her downplaying of them; after all, having lived through the glory days and lived through the worst losses of her life, life in general might seem rather dull to her while thundering and spectacular to those lacking the experience. Well done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Your work is always unique......this was so beautiful.....including title few lines touched my heart....last two lines simply superv.......

Posted 9 Years Ago


With advancing years comes worldly knowledge, an unrecognised qualification from any classroom or university, gleaned and garnished through the acquirement of life experience with all it's trials and tribulations, so always respect our senior citizens and heed their wise counsel, for each has their very own unique story to tell !

A wonderful homily indeed Frieda, overflowing with respectful endearment to the elderly among us!

Posted 9 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

875 Views
31 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on July 20, 2014
Last Updated on July 20, 2014
Tags: elderly, history, thunder, past, heart, loss, golden days, wisdom, intent

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Tepid Tepid

A Poem by Lydia Shutter