etched your name...

etched your name...

A Poem by Frieda P
"

~

"

I fear not being able to recall your voice,                                      
                   the tone of inflection in your laughter                                                 
flibbertigibbet on your most playful days,
  endearing smile in earnest expression
regard for the smallest of creatures
 taking on the underdog's plight as your own,
  fog of your breath on rainy windowpanes
           as you etched your name,
your face lit in amusement's spark
      angle which you cocked your head inquisitively
sweet times you held my hand when you were scared,
 how we both adored the scent
                 of  wildflowers in our tresses,
times we shared in wistful reminiscences
butterflies on your wedding day and the last,
  matter of fact way you'd call me 'big sis'....
most of all I miss the exceptional warmth 
            of your sunshine in every minute's sigh

© 2014 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

fog of your breath on rainy windowpanes
as you etched your name,
that line right there. I've never lost someone to suicide - only to the monsters of disease and the ticking clock. We are all wired differently - some of it is hard wiring and some - factory second work due to upbringing - the wear and tear of this difficult life on a soul not designed for so much pain...what ever it is - for me personally and what made this poem worm its way down to the place where I ache - is this: for me life presents itself, memory presents itself in the smallest of moments. I remember the exact color and shape of my dad's lips as he read me bedtime stories, when we lived in KS (I was five when we moved to AR) life continues residually in pictures, in songs, phrases, words - and you have captured this with such heartwrenching eloquence. That you can bring this back to the surface with such raw emotion and articulate the beauty in these moments - that is brave. some of us writers - we don't ever get past the rage - we are cynical and toxic. You aren't. The light as others have said just flows from you and your words.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Even when you are 104 you will smell those wildflowers Lee and you enjoyed and hear her say "big sis" I love and miss you too. Etching her name on your heart is a forever remembrance Frieda. I love how you weave these precious memories of her in such an artistic way, tugging at our heart and allowing us to miss her as well and to know her through your eyes.

Your devotion to her memory is one of the things that not only makes you special, and why I love you.... so, from across the river ((((Frieda))))

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wonderful piece. Sadness in its roots but still a great collection of words and really paints the picture of your love. You did justice for your subject and self with your success at showing a hardship in life in a tender way.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Oh, Frieda, this one strummed the strings of my heart. You will not forget anything about your sister and because of all the wonderful poems you write about her, I think a lot of us will not forget her either. The imagery is so sweet here. Brought me back to Joisey days of writing my name on the fogged up windows....heavy sigh. Written from your heart. Absolutely gorgeous....as was your sister. Lydi**

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Lydikey, you've touched my heart, thanks so much for your sweet words. I can only hope her spirit li.. read more
Lydia Shutter

9 Years Ago

It is, Frieda....believe it.
Lee was stunningly beautiful Frieda. And your descriptions of your closeness and love in this most beautiful poem are immaculate. You don't need to be afraid to forget her as you never will but she would not want you in this much pain for so long. Maybe it is time to own this and stop seeking solice in sadness and sad music. Only saying.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

John Alexander McFadyen

9 Years Ago

Oh feel free. Never to late to put the boot into the good samaritin.
redflutterby

9 Years Ago

John...I would never put the boot to you hun. Im too torn up myself to hurt anyone else.
John Alexander McFadyen

9 Years Ago

And I wish it were not so.
you're love for her shines brighter then the sun even in the darkness of your pain..... :'-( xo


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much Andrea, know you're not having an easy time of it right now, means a lot to me my swe.. read more
I don't think you will ever forget...have no fear...she is in your heart and soul, always...and will stay there...

your poems to her are beautiful, sad and at the same time hopeful.


jacob

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

I'm sure that will never happen, it's those small reminders that sometimes are fleeting, thanks jaco.. read more
Nice tear jerker as usual.. :-)
However I didn't cry I smiled.
I smiled cause those days of reminiscing pain rarely ever ever come to me anymore and I'm learning not to accept things of life as painful anymore and so Life is fuller, brighter.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Tears are an inevitable part of life, I'm glad you could smile in your own reminiscence. Life will n.. read more
Cryingkate

9 Years Ago

Yes I know and I do feel sorry for you. Very Sorry
Frieda, this is breathtaking in it's beauty. It really touches the deepest place in my heart.
All the little things we miss... and hang on to, and fear will fade.
A very very moving poem.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

You've touched me with your sweet sentiments Ana Sophia, thanks so much. x
Matching Socks

9 Years Ago

((((((((((HUG))))))))))
extraordinary poem Frieda, such beauty and sadness mingle into a true work of soulful art.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much for your kind words Richard, I'm humbled by your review.
R Smith

9 Years Ago

your very welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3277 Views
54 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on August 22, 2014
Last Updated on August 22, 2014

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Space Space

A Chapter by Matching Socks