An Adulterous, Broken Marriage

An Adulterous, Broken Marriage

A Chapter by Ethan Paz
"

A story contrasting the marriage of a man and a woman in second person.

"

                There once was a rich author who was searching for a wife. He was very lonely. Day and night he would search for his lost beloved. He searched through the cities, the marketplaces, and the dwellings of the commoners. However, he failed to find “the one” even with all his efforts . . . until that special day.

 In that day he found this lady lying in the garbage. There he found her and he immediately fell in love with her. She fell in love with the author to. Day and night she was hoping to be with the author for she fell in love with him by his autobiography. Immediately, he picked the lady up and carried her to his house. There he washed her and dressed her with ornaments of gold. He gave her a ring symbolizing the bond of marriage. He supplied all her needs and she was filled.

The lady always read his books and did with zeal all his commandments, for she loved the author very much so. Day in and day out she would praise her beloved to the fair ladies out in the streets. She would dance in the city’s courts and proclaim her love to her newly found husband. She was always by his side and they were united by fellowship sweet.

She continued her love in her husband. Continually she did her very best in feeding the poor and being kind to others. She strived to love others as her husband loved her. However, she was never satisfied. She would care for the orphans, help the widows, and give to the poor. So much was her caring that her husband talked to her. He wanted the consummation of their marriage to be one again, for he said,

“You don’t have to please me so much. I love you just the way you are.”

She heard him speak, but she did not lessen the time to care for others. Instead, she sought to read more of the author’s books to make her husband happy. Early in the morning she would rise and care for others and at noon she would read her husband’s grand works. The rest of the day would be spent preparing food for her husband. Her goals were never truly complete, but she resolved to do better than the previous day. She did not praise her husband to the ladies out in the streets. Neither did she dance in the city’s courts declaring her husband’s love toward her. She was no longer happy.

 

                One day the husband noticed her gloominess.

 He asked, “Lady, why are you so down? Don’t you have me to attain your joy?”

She replied, “My love, you are my joy; I just have so much to accomplish.”

“Well, come and let us walk in the forest, for I long to be with you,” he sweetly pleaded.

“Please not now, I want to read more about you by your book, my love,” she stated.

 

So she studied her husband’s book but never did she do the commandments her husband had required any more.

                She had thought, “Oh, he won’t find out.”

But the more she had said this, the more she was trying to avoid her beloved. Never did she seem to accomplish the tasks she wanted to complete and never did she seem to read enough or meet enough of her husband’s requirements. She grew tired and her conscience was run by guilt.

 

                Again her husband approached her and said,

                “My wife, why are you trying to please me so just rest in me.”

 

She ignored him. She did not want to do what her husband had said for there was much to be done. Even still she was continuing in helping others, reading about her husband, and trying to fulfill his requirements, but she grew weary. Again her husband approached her and said,

 

                “My wife, please listen, I love you and want to spend time with you. Please come to me, I miss you.”

                She replied, “Soon, I have much to accomplish, my love.”

 

The conversation thus ended with her attempting to meet the needs of her husband day in and day out.

She had goals to be met, but she never did seem to accomplish her goals.

                The wife was very much tired by now. Her mind was over-run by guilt. She tried to cover the shame by accomplishments to be done, but she always failed. She was in her room now crying. She was bathing herself by her own tears. Her husband had asked,

 

                “My lady, why are you cast down? I will provide your needs just come and be with me.”

 

She ignored him once again and had continued on with her most lovely, ritualistic practices. However, she had failed once again.

                She was tired of putting up with failure. So while it was dark, while her husband was sleeping, she stole a small sum of his money and ran into the city. When it was day she bought perfume, purple clothing, and fine bracelets. She walked into the city; selling herself to every man she met.

                The author was calling out in the city near the prostitute’s house,

 

                “My love, my love, where are you?!”

                “My love, come and I will fill you up.”

 

Though she heard her used to be husband, she had refused to come. She did not want to be burdened as she used to be. So she continued in her adulterous ways. Still, the author is out calling for her lost love: seeking to consummate the broken covenant.

               

 



© 2010 Ethan Paz


Author's Note

Ethan Paz
This story is based off of Ezekiel 16. To those that don't understand this story (Or to those who think that understand but are deceived), the man is God and the lady is represented as mankind.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Absolutely Amazing! You have found a perfect way to describe the relationship between God and us here on earth. It always seems like we never do enough but in reality if we just rest with God he will provide for us no matter how many things we do. Great write I am so adding this to my library!

Posted 13 Years Ago


"She fell in love with the author to." Shouldn't it be "too"? Just a thought...
I didn't see any other grammar problems, but I hope that this small piece of...advice...helps.

Posted 13 Years Ago


So caught up in doing what God asks that we forget about God and the reason he wants us to do it? Lovely read, thought provoking and enlightening. Love that you worked this off of the Bible, helps me see that analogy in a completely different light.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Lovely Ethan, simply lovely. Although I don't agree with the fact that she cheated because she tried to please him and within herself she ultimately failed (in her own eyes.)
Remember God said that what He commands is not too hard for us to do. And the book of Ezekiel clearly states that after God promoted Israel (which were His chosen people as in blood descendants of Abraham, so the 'lady' would not represent "mankind" during the old covenant, but the house of Israel) to the status of a 'queen', they began to trust in their beauty and their wealth - because of this they grew arrogant and ran after idols (described as prostitution).
Be careful how you paraphrase. All in all, a very good job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Now that I know what it's based off of, it makes a lot of sense. Maybe try to get the origin across a little more? Very cool!

Posted 13 Years Ago


oh that was awsum how you incorporated the bible and a story !!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice work elaborating on a biblical analogy.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Fair write. I understand the 'players' but the story itself is lacking a bit. It jumps in places from the 'wife' not listening to listening. More description or detail can probably remedy this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I still don't get it, and I am pretty well versed in the Bible and what it contains. As Dutch said your story was to broken, and left a lot out that could have been included. And maybe added to complete the story. Maybe you could go thru and add more, but this sounded more of a fairy tale not a conflict between God and mankind.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Pretty good write, but I feel you could've been more creative, you know, took it deeper as far as emotions go. Maybe you're not into writing prose, but I feel like the reader could feel this story on a much deeper level if it was written as a short story. You left a lot of gaps, and, as an avid reader, I would much rather be shown than told. Instead of just telling us, "There he found her and he immediately fell in love with her," I'd rather you show me through their actions and dialogue. It just seems really dry when you tell me the story this way. But it was an interesting story, a great allegory.

Honestly, this is the exact reason why I'm not a religious person. I certainly believe in God, the oneness and greatness of God, but I don't believe He requires us to do anything except live righteously and love nature. All of these religions that say we have to do this, and pay tithes, and offer salat, etc., are truly a way to control the masses. People have used the concept of religion for personal gain, and that's all it is. A hustle.

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

973 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 21, 2010
Last Updated on August 23, 2010
Tags: Love


Author

Ethan Paz
Ethan Paz

Iron River, MI



About
What's up I'm happy your here now reading my content. The content is organized in different sections for your convenience. Many of life's questions will be answered when you read my writings. So c.. more..

Writing
Hot Temper Hot Temper

A Poem by Ethan Paz



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My Goal My Goal

A Chapter by Ethan Paz