What is Light

What is Light

A Chapter by Ethan Paz
"

"I once was lost . . . was blind, but now I see."

"

            “Thick blackness rolls over my eyes. All I see is black, black, and black. Darkness is all I have ever grown to know. People say there exists a thing called light. They say light is very bright; they also say it is not good for you if you want to finish the race. If they are right or wrong, I do not know; I am ending the race on my own. I do not really know what light is or what it looks like; all I know is what they told me: light is not good for you. I have never seen light, and I do not care to see it. As for me, I find darkness; if this is what it is, quite soothing and comfortable.”

 

            “Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting,    dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.”  Edgar Allan Poe

 

            This darkness envelopes my entire being. It is a darkness that I can feel on the tip of my finger tips. I love the risk; I love the adventure that comes with it. At times, I do not enjoy this adventure, for I have tripped and fallen on this rocky ground because I could not see where I was going. Strange, as it is though, I feel a fluid trickling down my body whenever I have fallen. It is as if life flows or gushes out of me depending on the impact upon my body. This has happened to me a lot now. However, I do not give up; I only rise and resume my adventure in order to finish the race.”

           

            “They know nothing, they understand nothing. They walk about in darkness (Ps. 82:5).”

 

            “I was born in this darkness. Others also were born in this darkness- like me. Everybody starts in the middle with a decision: to go to the left and make his or her own path or go to the right where the supposed light dwells. Some have retreated to an unknown voice, which was accompanied with a bright light. Their path was supposedly easy: it was straight. I know this only because they shouted to me when they claimed to be at the place. Most have just gone their own way, like me, for we did not see the light to be the light, nor heard the voice to be true. Hence, you find me searching for the light. That is everybody’s goal anyway- to search for happiness.”

 

“The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it (Jn. 1:5).”

 

            “As for how long I have been searching for the light, I do not know. I have searched and searched and have had no success. Maybe . . . just maybe it would not hurt to take a risk and to listen to the voice that was calling out to me a long time ago. I simply do not know where to turn, except to trust the voice that speaks and the light that shines (the light I thought was no light at all).”

 

            “When he came to his senses . . . (Lk. 15:17).”

 

            “I think I hear someone calling my name. I . . . I think it is coming this way. Wait, wha . . . what is that? I have never seen such a color- I can see around me! I know I am going the right way for the voice is only getting louder, and the road is becoming less crooked as it once was. I am going to run towards the voice and the light.”

            As he looks behind himself, he opens his mouth and covers it with his hand, amazed at how thick the darkness was and how many turns the road was made of. He turns himself again, and with more haste, he began to chase after the light.

 

             “The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land   of the shadow of death a light has dawned (Isa. 9:2).”

 

            I . . . I have heard this voice before. It is the same voice - I heard in the beginning. Why did I run away from the voice?”

 

            “This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead    of light because their deeds were evil (Jn. 3:19).”

 

            Suddenly, the man stood still, while evil memories flooded to his mind in a vision. All the memories he sought to hide in the darkness were surfacing in the light. Gossip, lies, hatred, bitterness, covetousness, sin, sin, sin- nothing was hid before his eyes. He suddenly became guilty and did not know why, but in front of him stood a cross. On it . . . was a bloody man! He . . . He said, “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.” A few moments commenced, and the man died. However, next to the cross he heard a soldier says, “Surely, this is the Son of God!”

            “Wait- somebody, anyone- what does this mean?” asked the man.

            Next to the man appeared a Spirit. The Spirit did not have a body; he was not made like humans were made.

            The Spirit replied, “You, my son, were born into darkness in your transgressions. This man, you see on the cross, died for your sins. The Son of God had to die for your sins because your sins were a threat to the Most High God. Repent of your sins and you will no longer live in darkness, but will have the light of Christ.”

            “But . . . I cannot remember all my sins.”

            “If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved (Rom. 10:9).” If you believe, it will be well with you, but what good will the light of Christ of Christ be if you do not go to the light? Therefore, I say, go to the light.”

            In just a few seconds, the story made perfect sense. He dropped to his knees and cried.

            “I believe. Oh, God, have mercy upon me, a sinner!”

           

            “This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in        him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in        the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is         in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son,         purifies us from all sin (1 Jn. 5-7).”

 

            So the man stood up on his feet and began to run towards the light. So bright was the light that he could not dare stand the sight of it. However, he pulled his head down and ran hurriedly until he saw somebody’s shadow. He stood still, and he felt a hand around his head unwrap a piece of cloth attached to his eyes. All at once, a bright light shown so brilliantly, yet it did not blind him. In amazement, he recognized the person. It was the Son of God! Such strong emotion was in his body that he did not have enough time to digest the emotion before he heard the Savior say, “Welcome, my beloved son, and enter the joy of the Lord.”

            Although this man did live life eternally, I did see that there were too few men with that one man for all of eternity. I then turned to my left, and I saw many men still stuck in darkness. Oh, who will come and who will tell the lost that the light is the way? Dear, Lord, let your light shine out of the darkness.

           

            “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people   light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that   they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven (Matt. 5:14-16).”



© 2011 Ethan Paz


Author's Note

Ethan Paz
"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A strong and powerful story. Life is simple. Must have faith and have a kind heart. We are what we do and what we say. Thank you for a powerful story of faith and belief. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great work!! Indeed all of us were born into darkness and the Light came to Earth to save us from our sins. Wonderful job!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is amazing Ethan...you have a beautiful talent...keep it up honey! :)






Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

533 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 4, 2011
Last Updated on June 4, 2011


Author

Ethan Paz
Ethan Paz

Iron River, MI



About
What's up I'm happy your here now reading my content. The content is organized in different sections for your convenience. Many of life's questions will be answered when you read my writings. So c.. more..

Writing
Hot Temper Hot Temper

A Poem by Ethan Paz