The Establishment of Reason

The Establishment of Reason

A Chapter by Ethan Paz
"

This paper shows a brief history of reason shown through post-modernism. This paper briefly contrasts reason and religion.

"

The Establishment of Reason

            The 21st century reveals unprecedented marks of knowledge like never before. The achievements, which man has achieved, now allow man to live independently on his own. The Middle Ages, which were marked by strife, was a time when people relied on religion to survive. But, as humanists would say, religion is no longer essential for life.  

            The necessity of religion began to diminish in the Age of Enlightenment. However, the superiority of the intellect was seen centuries earlier by the promotion of Scholasticism by Thomas Aquinas. When the strength of reason over faith had spread, the dominance of the humanist seemed sure. However, Christianity answered the Age of Enlightenment through the Great Awakenings. The popularity of Christianity was so dominant and popular that America was supposedly called the “Christian Nation.”

            For about a century now, reason has begun to be popularized through the spread of post-modernism by John Chapman. Since no one truth exists, any philosophy remains acceptable. So, why choose Christianity when atheism is just as right? Roy Sellars and Raymond Bragg explain this by saying that religion is out of date. They state, “The time is past for mere revision of

traditional attitudes. Science and economic change have disrupted the old beliefs.” Out with the old and in with the new. But, why? Their answer is as follows: “There is great danger of a final, and we believe fatal, identification of the word religion with doctrines and methods which have lost their significance and which are powerless to solve the problem of human living in the Twentieth Century.” Religion, to the humanist, is insufficient, lacking, powerless, and incapable to exist in the scientific world. An establishment of reason is important for the humanist because by it life is lived.

            Because of the establishment of reason in this world, one can see a movement developing. This movement began from saying no one truth exists to saying religion is non-sequential to saying any religion should be “countered, criticized, and exposed by rational argument wherever its influence arises.” This movement has been started by a group called the New Atheists.

            Unless a religious group conquers the hearts of men, this world will be dominated by a people driven by logic and philosophy. For the humanist, to accept religion in this world would be to accept logical suicide�"going back to the Middle Ages. Therefore, reason alone must expand.



© 2011 Ethan Paz


Author's Note

Ethan Paz
I am not a Post-Modernist. This is a response to Humanist Manifest I

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Dear Ethan Paz,

I must admit that I am not knowledgeable about philosophy nor do I care for atheist philosophy because in the end, it's all a bunch of bull. In atheistic literature, they contradict themselves equally often as an overly christian person. They cut out the idea of free will. They look for someone to blame for all their pain knowing that it could be them that's the problem and not find fault in God.

In the middle ages, we relied more on what we call our faith and scholars called it people blindly following. There wasn't so much technology back then to separate us from God. Not to say that technology is to blame for this transition in philosophies, but that, we found more ways to engross ourselves into other people's lives and judge them, whether than look at ourselves.

Moreover, here's the most contradictory thing of athiests that I question. They call us Christians stupid for our beliefs. Their idea is to not believe in anything, when in fact, it takes just as much faith to believe that there is nothing. Another thing is that they constantly bash religion, yet they are the ones complaining about people forcing their religion on them. They continually force their religion on others just as well.

This chapter was indeed thought provoking and informational.

Thank you for sharing.

Sincerely Livana Lowell (LL)

God bless

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great thoughts very intriguing. I'ts all about evolution; as a species we are constantly evolving in every way possible. Through curiosity we now see, and understand things our ancestors could not hundreds and thousand years ago.
Awesome chapter I will be reading more for sure.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like your thoughts on religion and philosophy. I believe religion cannot be involved in the laws of the land. Can cause a un-even approach to how a country is led. Religion had cause more death in 2000 years then war for land and property. I believe if we go by the logic the religion by their gospel. Love and peace will bring people to the right place. Forced belief don't always work. I like this topic. Could go on for ever.
"Unless a religious group conquers the hearts of men, this world will be dominated by a people driven by logic and philosophy."
Thank you for the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

481 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 29, 2011
Last Updated on December 29, 2011


Author

Ethan Paz
Ethan Paz

Iron River, MI



About
What's up I'm happy your here now reading my content. The content is organized in different sections for your convenience. Many of life's questions will be answered when you read my writings. So c.. more..

Writing
Hot Temper Hot Temper

A Poem by Ethan Paz



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..