African Adventure: A Fictional Itinerary

African Adventure: A Fictional Itinerary

A Story by Molly Sanborn

Day 1 - Mtwara, Tanzania to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania:

I begin my African land journey in the southern Tanzanian city of Mtwara. It’s mid-March and rain is falling hard, since the rainy season is in full swing. I check out of my room at the Nandope Guest House and walk to the nearby bus stop, where I purchase a ticket to Dar es Salaam. The bus pulls out of the station and begins heading north on the B2 road. I pass the time looking out my window at the Miombo trees and listening to the other passengers banter with each other in Swahili. After an hour and a half, we pass through the small city of Lindi located on the coast of the Indian Ocean. Much later into the drive, we cross the Mkapa Bridge that crosses over the Rufiji River. The bus arrives in Dar es Salaam very late and I’m exhausted, so I get a room at the local Peacock Hotel and quickly fall asleep.

 

Day 2 - Dar es Salaam, Tanzania to Mombasa, Kenya:

I wake up early the next morning and walk to Salamander Coffee House, located just two blocks away from the Indian Ocean. I order a chai tea latte, which is a popular local beverage. I sit down outside and watch the Zanzibar Ferry departing across the water as I enjoy my tea. I then hail a taxi which takes me to Kariakoo Market, where I purchase a bowl of uji, a thin porridge that’s a popular breakfast here. I hop back in my taxi and the driver takes me to the bus station. I purchase a ticket on the Scandinavian Express to Mombasa for 19,000 Tsh. The journey will take 10 hours, so I get comfortable and enjoy my uji as the bus departs Dar es Salaam. We head north along the coast, and soon reach the town of Bagamoyo. The bus isn’t running properly, so while it’s being repaired I take a taxi to the nearby Kaole ruins. Here, I enjoy the quietness of the grounds and admire the 13th century mosque, the oldest mosque on East Africa’s mainland. I return to Bagamoyo and board the now fixed bus, and we depart heading inland away from the sparkling ocean. Eventually we reach the A17 road and turn north towards Mombasa. In the late afternoon sun, I can look out the left side of the bus and see the Usambara Mountains rising in the distance. Eventually I fall asleep, until waking a couple hours later when the bus comes to a stop. I realize that we have reached the border with Kenya, so I exit the bus and show the guard my documentation. After the somewhat lengthy process, all of the passengers board the bus and we set out on our final leg. Right before entering Mombasa, our bus drives onto the Likoni Ferry to take us across to Mombasa Island. After finally arriving in downtown Mombasa, I get a room at the New People’s Hotel to spend the night.

 

Day 3 - Mombasa, Kenya to Nairobi, Kenya:

On the morning of day three, I opt to explore Mombasa a little bit since it is Kenya’s second largest city. Leaving my hotel, I walk through the streets of downtown and marvel at the local architecture that was introduced by 9th century Arab traders. I see throngs of people; many men wear traditional caps and caftans while the women wear black veils over their faces. I make my way on foot to Old Town and get lost in the maze of narrow streets. Fort Jesus is nearby, so I pay the 800 Ksh entrance fee and explore its quiet, shaded grounds. Later in the afternoon I’m feeling quite hungry, so I ask a local where he would eat. To my surprise he responds in English, and I realize that both English and Swahili are commonly spoken here. On his recommendation, I walk to the Pistacchio Café where I enjoy a delicious Indian buffet with ice cream for dessert. As I’m eating, the clouds overhead begin to dump heavy afternoon rain onto the ground. I hail a taxi to take me to the train station, where I buy a ticket on the Mombasa Express that will take me to Nairobi. The train departs at 7PM, and despite the overcast sky there’s still a brilliant sunset as we head west across the semi-arid plains of southern Kenya. Several hours into the journey, I realize that we’re currently traveling through Tsavo National Park. As the train continues on, I drift to sleep with the sound of trumpeting elephants in my ears.


Day 4 - Nairobi, Kenya to Kampala, Uganda:

I wake up just as breakfast is being served on the train. The trip has taken 13 hours, and I can see that we’re just starting to enter Nairobi. Once arriving at Nairobi’s train station, I rent a jeep and drive south to Nairobi National Park. My car drives easily over the open plains, and acacia trees dot the landscape. I spend several hours driving around, and manage to spot a herd of zebras, many gazelles, and even several Maasai giraffes far away on the horizon. It’s still early in the afternoon when I leave the park, so I head northwest towards the Ugandan border. I’m now driving through Africa’s famous Rift Valley, and the landscape is covered with impressive geological formations. Along the way I spot Lake Naivasha out my jeep window, and later I pass Lake Nakuru where I see flamingoes along the shoreline. Around sunset I pass through the city of Kisumu, located on the eastern shores of Lake Victoria. There is a gentle breeze blowing through the town, but this does little to mitigate the sweltering heat. I decide to eat dinner at the Florence Restaurant, where I’m served a delicious meal of local fish from the lake. After dinner I hit the road again, aiming to reach Kampala. I head northwest on the B1 road until I reach the border town of Busia, where I cross into Uganda with no problems. I have several hours of driving still left in front of me, and am exhausted when I finally reach Kampala late at night. I check into the Tourist Hotel in the city center and quickly fall into a deep sleep.

 

Day 5 - Kampala, Uganda to Gulu, Uganda:

After waking early, I exit the hotel and am inundated by the warm, humid air of the local tropical climate. I walk to nearby Nakasero Market, where there are already lots of vendors and shoppers despite the early hour. I buy some cornmeal porridge called posho and mashed plantains called matoke, and then return to my jeep and head north. I drive for three hours until I reach the town of Masindi, and then turn west towards Lake Albert. The road is becoming rougher to drive on, but my jeep is handling the terrain easily. After Lake Albert finally comes into view, I turn north and continue driving. I finally reach Murchison Falls National Park and begin driving through grassy plains and savanna woodlands. Upon reaching the park headquarters, I take the 2PM launch trip that will take me to the famous falls. Along the way, I spot a family of hippos and many crocodiles. When our boat finally reaches the falls, they are spectacular! The Victoria Nile River that flows through the park rushes through a narrow rock gorge, and crashes down onto the rocks 150 feet below. After the launch trip ends, I get back into my car and continue driving north. I finally exit the park, and drive one more hour until I reach my destination of Gulu, Uganda. The journey has been long and tiring, but what I have seen and experienced along the way has been incredible!

© 2016 Molly Sanborn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
Added on December 25, 2016
Last Updated on December 25, 2016
Tags: travel, fiction, itinerary, africa, guide, adventure

Author

Molly Sanborn
Molly Sanborn

CA



About
Traveler. Writer. Photographer. I have a deep affinity for words and use writing as a medium for divulging my crazy musings. more..

Writing