A Soldier's Sunset

A Soldier's Sunset

A Story by Grace H

So I was there, sitting in the tall green ocean of grass, watching the sun set. It had only been a week since my brother, had left for the army. He had been my protector from the mean children at school and been my friend when I needed him. My brother was my only true friend and together at twilight we watched the sun go down until it disappeared into the trees.                  

 

My brother was a lanky boy, playful and shaggy-haired. He dreamed of joining the army to prove himself worthy of being a man. To my disappointment, this dream became a reality. He told me I should be proud to see him wear a uniform. He told me he was going protect the country just as he protected me.

 

 Every night we would climb our hill that was behind the barn, but tonight it was only me. Alone, sitting on our hill which what we could see miles of land before us. I wished he was here now like he always was for me. I dream that if I continued to watch the sunset my brother would suddenly appear.

 

So I wait in solitude for him to arrive and he does through the ghost of memory. I can feel his arm around my shoulder, his other arm reaching toward the sun as if he was trying to touch it. My brother gives me a kiss on my forehead and strokes my messy amber hair, and tickles my bare feet. Now I reach for him as he reached for the sun, but he fades into the darkness. I slowly walk down the hill, the grass tickling at my bare feet like he did. My gaze is fixed on my house, the one he is not in.

 

My mother tries to comfort me but my only consolation is the setting sun. Every day I sit on our hill, watching our sunset, hoping he is watching the sunset where ever he was. Even in the winter when the harsh wind stings my checks trying to persuade me to go in, I watch the sun set. There is little joy during those years when he was gone except those moments on the hill at dusk.

One lonely day, a man is on our hill. I barely recognize him but I know it is him. It is my brother. I run to him and wrap my arms around his scratchy neck. He squeezes me close and together we watch the sun set.

© 2015 Grace H


Author's Note

Grace H
ignore grammar problems

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on October 24, 2015
Last Updated on October 24, 2015

Author

Grace H
Grace H

About
I am very young writer. I love writing and reading. I haven't published anything yet but I am currently writing a book and editing one I already finished. I will take any advice or criticism about my .. more..