The Night Job

The Night Job

A Story by the_gak

As the noose tightened around my neck, my fear reached its peak. I had lost all notions of rationality.
“Don’t hang me! I’m a God!” I yelled.
But it was too late for me. My yelling stopped, as the executioner pulled the lever.
Twelve days ago
It all began on a regular Sunday night. The atmosphere was magical �" it was raining out of my window, as I sat with my favourite book on one hand, and a nice hot cup of tea in another. I had no idea how bizarre my life was going to get. There was a loud knock on the door. It was dark outside, so I hesitated to open the door. But the knocking didn’t stop, so I finally overcame my fear and opened it. It was a man, tall and muscular. He was wearing a cloak with a hood, and I couldn’t see his face. He started speaking, and his voice made me shiver.
“I’ve been waiting to meet you”
I started racking my brain to think of anyone who would want me dead, as this guy looked like he was about to kill me.
“I’ve worked for long, and my time is over. It is now up to you to finish what I’ve started.”
I had no idea what he was talking about.
“But don’t worry” he continued, pulling out a scythe from behind him. My heart stopped for a minute as I realized who that was; I was speaking to the Grim Reaper! He handed me his scythe.
“You now have my tool. Use it to remove the weed”. And he left.
I closed the door, and contemplated what this meant. I was now a God. I was the Grim Reaper, and I had to weed out the society. I had to defend mankind from the evil and wicked among it. The only problem was I had no idea how to do that. I guess I’ll have to learn by doing.
The next night, I started my new job. I remembered what the Reaper wore the previous day, and crafted my own cloak and hood. All dressed up, I started to roam the streets for a target. It had been almost an hour when I saw it. Some guy was about to mug a woman. The Reaper’s words echoed in my ears.
“Remove the weed”
I had never killed anyone, but it wasn’t so hard. I was chosen for a greater purpose, so I revelled in his screams as I plunged the scythe into him. As people say, the first time is the hardest. My next targets were easier. I managed to rid the world off three sinners on my first night. The next night it was five sinners. The numbers only increased with each night.
By the end of the week, I had gotten used to my new job. The newspapers were advertising my progress on the front-pages. The city was already a much better place. The crime rate had significantly reduced, and criminals were scared of going out during nights. As it was Sunday, I decided to take the day off; even Gods need vacations. I was relaxing with a cup of tea, as I heard knocking again. I was overjoyed, as I thought it was the Reaper who wanted to appreciate my efforts. I opened the door, but was disappointed as it was just my gardener.
“Hey man” he said. “You took out the weeds yet?”
I was shocked, as there was no way he could have known about me. I hid my tracks pretty well, and a mere gardener would have never found out about my night job. I pulled him inside, and asked him what he was talking about.
“The weed in the garden, man” he replied. “I loaned you my scythe last week to remove them, remember?”

It took me a moment to understand what he was talking about, but it finally hit me. I heard sirens approaching in the distance. As I stood there dumbfounded, something told me it was only going to go downhill from there.

© 2017 the_gak


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on March 3, 2017
Last Updated on March 3, 2017

Author

the_gak
the_gak

Madurai, Tamilnadu, India



About
I'm a new writer, looking for a lot of criticism to help me improve. more..

Writing
In Love In Love

A Story by the_gak