Not All Heroes Wear Capes

Not All Heroes Wear Capes

A Story by the_gak

Fireheart entered the cave precariously. He calculated every step he took, making sure not to fall prey to Hailstorm's traps. Eventually, he reached a dead end. On closer inspection, he realised it was an ice wall designed to keep people out.

"This must be her lair", he told himself triumphantly.

He tried melting down the wall with his flames, but it was sturdier than he thought. He tried harder. He ended up exhausting himself but finally managed to bring it down.

He took a moment to catch his breath and felt a chill run up his spine. For a moment he thought it was might be an instinctive feeling, but then he realised it was actual ice freezing him in place. He tried to break free, but the ice had already covered him up to his chest, rendering him immobile. He wanted to melt it down, but couldn't even make a spark. He was trapped.

"Who the hell are you?" Hailstorm demanded from beyond the wall.

Fireheart looked up and made out the silhouette of the supervillainess. Cursing himself for getting caught this easily, he mustered up the courage to speak.

"I... I'm Fireheart. I'm --"

"Let me guess. You manifested fire-themed superpowers recently, and thought you can take me down because fire is the opposite of ice?"

"Well, yeah", he admitted sheepishly.

"This city already has eight superheroes, kid. Did you speak to any of those idiots before deciding to come after me?"

Fireheart started to say something, but Hailstormed cut him off.

"Shut up. I know you didn't. If you did, then you would have known not to come here on a Wednesday."

"Wha... What happens on Wednesdays?"

"On Wednesdays, I battle Overman."

"Overman? Isn't he that old dude who's like a hundred years old? I thought he died."

Fireheart instantly regretted saying that, as the ice now spread to his neck, choking him.

"He's seventy-two." Hailstorm said sharply. "And he's still a better fighter than Commander Cannon or any other jokers flying around town lately.

Fireheart felt a tinge of anger rise in him. Commander Cannon was his role model, and he was ready to defend his name even if it meant risking death.

"I've lost count of the number of times Commander Cannon has foiled the plans of you supervillains. He's a hero!", he spurted out.

The villainess turned around and flashed him a condescending look.

"How many times has he put them behind bars, though? How many criminals has he brought to justice?"

Fireheart wanted to say something, but he had no answer.

"Overman got rid of this city's drug ring, kid. He started a petition to bring better education to poor kids. He personally led the movement to renovate the slums. He didn't just fight supervillains - he fought politicians and mob bosses. What he did not do, was allow criminals to take over the city so that he is always needed and remembered. Grow up, kid.", she scoffed.

Fireheart was about to protest but suddenly felt the ice around him melt. He tried to balance himself and failed - his legs were numb.

"Go home, kid. And don't disturb me on a Wednesday again." Hailstorm walked away without waiting for a reply. Fireheart laid there watching her disappear into the darkness. The wall reformed at her wake. Once he could feel his legs again he got up and left, wondering what was happening beyond the wall.

Hailstorm let her snowy outfit melt away, revealing her civilian clothes. She walked to the dining table and was welcomed by the frail, old man sitting in his wheelchair.

"Danielle!", the man exclaimed. "Your coffee's gone cold. What were you doing?"

"Oh, nothing." Hailstorm smiled apologetically.

"Oh, you kids these days, with your ‘nothing’s and ‘whatever’s. Back in my day, we weren't lazy like you - we never sat around. We always had something to do, I say. This one time, Betty had a day off, and guess what we did? We rented a --". His eyes lighted up as he spoke.

Hailstorm nodded along, smiling to herself.

© 2018 the_gak


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on July 6, 2018
Last Updated on July 6, 2018

Author

the_gak
the_gak

Madurai, Tamilnadu, India



About
I'm a new writer, looking for a lot of criticism to help me improve. more..

Writing
In Love In Love

A Story by the_gak