What can happen in a second:

What can happen in a second:

A Story by Heyns
"

Short prose musing about occurrences of life

"

Only doubters don’t see it. Every second counts. Sometimes you have to sit back and wonder, if you hadn’t taken that left on 5th and walked into that coffee shop on that day, at that time with the sun hitting the counter jut right to blind your peripherals just right. That’s your life right now, just right.

Only dreamers can’t see it. It only takes a second and then your life is upside down. That one rock chips off and then BOOM! An avalanche of all your hopes and dreams come running down covered with blistering cold snow that will cover you now. Maybe, if you’d just called in sick, or maybe if you’d woken sooner. The scenarios are all lined up in your head, as you hope for a different outcome; but life doesn’t come with re-dos only what-ifs.

Who would’ve thought coffee could create a life of such luxurious happiness. To think you could have it all but without that special touch that gives you the reason to fight, its meaningless. On the flip side, you could have nothing. You could be homeless, resorting to begging because life hasn’t gone your way, but with that one special touch life doesn’t matter any more if its not in that moment.

Who would’ve thought it would end so soon. To think that one moment you’re ok, having a healthy argument, and then BAM! Blindsided by life. Could you have changed anything? Was it just the course of the world that finally turned against you? It doesn’t matter who you are: lonely, loved, rich, or poor. Life ends for us all one day, don’t get hung up on the moments. Those fleeting moments which take you from being loved to being lost. Those are the moments that define us: the in-between moments. The things we do to bide our time before death knocks us flat on our backs. Even those moments don’t matter in the end.

In each minute there are 60 seconds. What we do with the other 59 define the 1 that changes our lives.  Every heartbeat is followed with another. It may not be ours, but somewhere another heart beats.

© 2012 Heyns


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice reality check! Too many times folks forget we'll end up worm food. They somehow act like they'll skip that part.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I love the tone in your voice that delivers the facts frankly and poetically, then shows compassion, hope and a light at the end of the tunnel, even if that tunnel leads to our death... It's what I needed today while going through hard times, so thank you too

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Mia
Shucks but you can write! Really write. You have a way with words that is truly mesmerizing. I must admit I was disappointed that it wasn’t a story story. I think you could just write the most amazing stories about characters and their lives. I hope you give it a go :) just putting it out there :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
3 Reviews
Added on August 27, 2012
Last Updated on August 27, 2012
Tags: monologue, musing, drama, tragedy, time

Author

Heyns
Heyns

Portland, OR



About
Trying to figure out if writing is just a hobby or a love that can take care of me and my little family (wife, cat and me). Otherwise I crunch numbers, lame. Any constructive criticism would be gre.. more..

Writing