Last Moment

Last Moment

A Story by Chaos
"

Goodbye Rene!

"

 

 [IMG]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/JasRaymond/angel.jpg[/IMG]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I got the call from her brother.  I could hear the pain in his voice.  Through broken tears, he said to me that I had to come, she didn't have much time.  As I heard these words, all the card games and jokes flashed through my mind and I felt guilty for a moment because even now, after all of these years, they still brought me joy.  I gathered up my purse and I flew into the city and my mind unlike my car was racing at top speed.  "Please don't let her die before I see her" I said to myself as my legs went on auto pilot and carried me to the entry way of the hospital.  "18 years of friendship; gone" I repeated to myself as I clicked the number in the elevator.  My heart pounding knowing that this would be the last day I would see one of my closest friends.  I walked in and felt every tear coming from her family as they reached out to hug me; beckoning me to make this better; to help; I couldn't.  I gathered up my strength, followed the red line that led to her ICU bed.  I wiped the tears on my sleeve and purposefully slowed my breathing down readying myself to what I was about to see.  I didn't want her to see me weak.  I had to be strong for her and for everyone. 

 

I pulled the pale pink curtain to the side and reveal my friend struggling to breath and my heart sunk down to my worn shoes which for some reason I couldn't stop staring at.  I made my way over to her bedside and then the auto pilot went from my legs to my heart and I stroked her hair as her family and friends stood around us and watched.  They were not only watching their friend, mother, daughter, wife and loved one pass, but watching an end to a friendship. 

 

While I stroked her hair, I reminded her of the times that we shared together.  I said " Nay, remember when you stuck your finger in Dwaynes' ear and he said "no one sticks their finger in my ear without my permission!?" and even though I could feel the life leaving her body, she managed to smile at me.  She smiled!  She hadn't done that in weeks. 

 

After the jokes fell to tears again; she felt colder.  I knew.  In a room full of people that knew the love we had for each other watched.  I sang to her.  I sang "Amazing Grace". I ran my fingers through her hair and held her hand. When the time came for her to take her last breath, I was there and she wasn't alone.  I was lucky to have known her while she lived and I was blessed to have her in my life and I was honored to watch her leave this life. 

 

© 2008 Chaos


Author's Note

Chaos
This is a true story. My friend is sorely missed. Personal joke "It's not a tumor!!!!!!!!"

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was really good, although sad. I only saw one spelling mistake - "my friend struggling to breath" should be "breathe." Other than that, this was amazing...and sad.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 17, 2008
Last Updated on July 17, 2008

Author

Chaos
Chaos

Boston, MA



About
Lets101 Quizzes - Fun Quizzes That's me in a nutshell. Marie more..

Writing
Wish I could Wish I could

A Poem by Chaos


Insecurity Insecurity

A Poem by Chaos