Somewhere Out There Tonight

Somewhere Out There Tonight

A Poem by Grace Coggins

 

Somewhere out there tonight, there is a boy looking into her eyes trying to memorize their colors, because forgetting the kaleidoscope colors of mine is harder than he thought it would be.

Somewhere out there tonight, there is a boy half listening to her tell him all the ways he makes her happy, because the sound of my voice echoes in his ears, reminding him of all the ways I told him how much he meant to me.

Somewhere out there tonight, there is a boy stroking her hair, trying to replace the way my cold curls felt like silk in his hands.

Somewhere out there tonight, there is a boy watching her sit in his sweatshirt, trying in vain to forget the image of me lying beside him in it.

Somewhere out there tonight, there he is, listening to her talk, but remembering the way my voice flowed like a perfect melody when I talked to him.

Somewhere out there tonight, there is a boy holding her close to him, ignoring the fact that I fit beside him like the missing puzzle piece he didn’t know he needed until I was gone.

Somewhere out there tonight, there is a boy falling in love with her, hoping he can fall out of love with me.

But somewhere out there tonight, there is a boy dreaming about the kaleidoscopes in my eyes.

Somewhere out there tonight, there is a boy fighting sleep so he can listen to me talk his ear off just so he can memorize my voice.

Somewhere out there tonight, there is a boy who can’t get the image of me in his clothes out of his head.

Somewhere out there tonight, there is a boy who wants to ruin the shade of red painted on my lips by kissing it free of their color.

Somewhere out there tonight, there is a boy wanting to know me.

Somewhere out there tonight, there is a boy who can’t wait to hear what it’s like having me say “I love you” to the point his heart beats out of his chest and he stutters with his response: “I love you too.”

Somewhere out there tonight, one boy is trying to forget me, while another dreams about the moment when the stars align and we finally meet.

But somewhere out there tonight, I’m finding myself again. And for tonight, that is enough.

© 2017 Grace Coggins


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like how kaleidoscope jumps out the text. It reminds me of a painting, that spot your eye goes to first. Also a very interesting perspective. We usually hear from the broken heart. The repetition is a little gawky I'd have to say, but not unbearable, just a tad clumsy off the tongue. Great work! I hope to read more of your poems in the future!

Posted 6 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
What a wonderful way to describe the break up of a relationship and how moving on is so, so difficult.
AND, call the new woman the wrong name in bed post coital and you've had it, been there, done that, got the scars.....
Good morning Grace

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Grace Coggins

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the wonderful review Gee! I'm so glad you liked it
Epic writing. Masterpiece.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Grace Coggins

6 Years Ago

Thank you! That means so much to me :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 12, 2017
Last Updated on November 12, 2017

Author

Grace Coggins
Grace Coggins

WA



About
I'm just testing the waters to see what I like to write and what I want to say; I'm just trying to find my style and voice however I can more..

Writing