Weakness

Weakness

A Poem by Grace Coggins

It took me too long to realize that being kind, compassionate, understanding, and sympathetic is considered a weakness. Showing any kind of emotion is a weakness. That’s how people weasel in and break your heart. That’s how you end up crying alone in your room while he moves on to another girl. If you show someone your heart, they will manipulate you and abuse it.

            But that’s the issue. Anyone who believes this is wrong. I’m not weak for feeling what I feel when someone hurts me. I’m not weak for letting someone in to see the parts of me that are kinder than others. I’m not weak for being kind or compassionate, understanding or sympathetic. Yes, I’m more emotional than I should probably let someone see, but that doesn’t make me weak. Wearing my heart on my sleeve might make me a subject to heartbreak, but every time a heart breaks, that heart grows stronger.

            It took me too long to learn that a caring heart is not a weakness, but indeed a strength. Those who take advantage of this and break those kinds of hearts, they are the weak ones.

            Hearts like mine are the strongest of them all.         

© 2017 Grace Coggins


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Powerful sentiments......with the final statement, and your recurring argument of caring hearts being the strongest, it feels as if the title of the poem could rather have been called "Strength"....yes, those who abuse hearts are weak, but their weakness will fade, while strength of kind hearts will continue to grow.

Great poetry.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

It takes great strength to recognize intimate weakness. So I've heard anyway.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Great job grace!!! It was very emotional, a lot of young women could relate to this poem!!!! Amazing job!!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


I love this so much as well, wow! Wise beyond your years and I definitely relate to this in every aspect.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Grace Coggins

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much Becca, I'm glad you enjoyed this
Powerful sentiments......with the final statement, and your recurring argument of caring hearts being the strongest, it feels as if the title of the poem could rather have been called "Strength"....yes, those who abuse hearts are weak, but their weakness will fade, while strength of kind hearts will continue to grow.

Great poetry.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent. You're very wise. Though this is in the context of love/relationships, it's applicable to life in general. It takes strength of character to stand against the wrongs of this world. Indeed, your heart is strong and I hope many more are like you. To this way of being, I also aspire.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Grace Coggins

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Samuel, for those beautiful words. It honestly made my day. I'm glad you enjoyed this!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 17, 2017
Last Updated on November 17, 2017

Author

Grace Coggins
Grace Coggins

WA



About
I'm just testing the waters to see what I like to write and what I want to say; I'm just trying to find my style and voice however I can more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


In An Instant In An Instant

A Story by Gee


To Leila To Leila

A Poem by James Foley