Quarrel of Love

Quarrel of Love

A Stage Play by Holly
"

A White Woman, her ex-boyfriend, and her ex-husband, in a quarrel of random love. Well, she quarrels with her ex-husband...about their son.

"
A modern day outdoor cafe shop setting, Julio is Hispanic, and wearing a nice white shirt with a red tie and looking like he's getting ready to work. Hair is slick back and is reading a news paper. Grace is Caucasian, sitting down reading a book, and is dressed like she is ready for work. Kenny is Asian and is wearing a black tux with a black tie and is ordering his coffee. 

(Doesn't matter where at, but make sure its an outdoor setting and there should be a few tables and chairs. Julio is sitting down at a table towards the right and right next to him on his left is Grace at another table. Kenny is ordering his coffee on left. Coffee can be died brown or water with brown paint)

Kenny: I'll get a regular half and half with cream please
[He looks at his watch and 5 seconds later he gets his coffee from someone back stage hands it to him, but make sure the audience don't see their hand.)
Thanks.

Grace: Kenny is that you? I haven't seen you for 3 months!

[He ignores her and starts walking to right stage. She starts walking up to him)

Grace:[beat] Why are you ignoring me? I thought you loved me?! 

Kenny: What are you talking about?

Grace: You lied to me! You told me you loved me!


(Julio folds his newspaper, stands up and starts walking towards them and points to Grace.)


Julio: You're cheating on me with him?!(Points to Kenny) After all these years!

Grace:[confused] Julio? Is that really you? I am so sorry you had to find out about this!

(Kenny looks scared...and confused and walks quickly off R stage, but accidentally drops his coffee and just leaves it.)

Julio: But...I thought, everything--

Grace: I just couldn't hide my feelings anymore! It's because, Julio. [hesitates] I was pregnant. I walked out on you because I was scared! It wasn't planned. But Johnny is okay! He misses you! These 18 years have been long enough!

(He stands there looking surprised for 5 seconds. Then sits down at a table while she sits next to him.)


Grace: He's your's! I know he is!

Julio: He's not mine forever! He never even saw me!

Grace: Why don't you take responsibility for believing in what is true?!

Julio: It's because I too was cheating on you with a new woman!

Grace: What about all we had.

Julio: We had nothing! You're the one who ruined it! [beat] You have lied to me...

Grace: I meant everything.

Julio:[under breath] Sure you did.

Grace: It was the best twenty-five years of my life!

Julio: Twenty-six!

Grace: I wasn't thinking correctly, I'm sorry.

Julio: Too bad, I have moved on.

Grace: But, Julio... I still love you! Kenny meant nothing.

Julio:[beat] He was Asian! You love your Asians! I'm only brown...

Grace: I promise I will change. I will do anything to make you stay with me!

Julio: No you betrayed me! You never even called a divorce. 

(She doesn't say anything for 10 seconds and looks at him with sadness and sincerity.)


Grace: I'm sorry.

Julio: Again, I'm tired of being cheating on by Asians. Is being brown not good enough for you?

Grace:[sadly] I need you Julio.

Julio: I gave you everything.....and you crushed me.

Grace: I know! I know. Can't you see that I am sorry?

Julio: Can't you see that sorry isn't enough? I worried almost everyday because you left me and cheated on me with other men.


(She stands up and starts to cry and covers her face with her hands while running L. 10 seconds later she runs backs crying at him and yelling.)


Grace: You're just going to give up on our son like that? He needs you because he is graduating high school this year! I want you to see him holding his diploma! 

Julio: He's yours now. He's been yours. Not mine!

Grace: How can you do that? He loves you!

Julio: I don't even know who he is. [beat] Oh, by the way, you're one of the most ugliest girls I've slept with.

Grace:[scoffs] Oh, look who's faithful now? I already know about Charlotte! She used to be my best friend, how could you?

Julio: At least she's faithful!

Grace:[beat] Since we're being honest here. I faked that orgasm the night Johnny was concieved! 

Julio: How could you?! You wanted to record our love that night too. You sold the tape, didn't you!

Grace: I needed the money! You didn't understand, I was a single parent racing a new born!

Julio: I don't care...that was important to us and you ruined everything! You're out of my life, I need to go to work. I'm leaving...

Grace: Julio, please wait!

Julio: I'm tired of waiting...no more. I have filed a divorce already. Sign these papers and I'll be back here tomorrow. (gives her folded up papers from his pant pockets)

Grace: Whatever you need to have done...I guess tomorrow is the last time I'll ever see you? I will always love you Julio.


(He walks off R as Grace sits there and picks up her book and opens it. The set all goes black)

© 2011 Holly


Author's Note

Holly
...This is not intended to be racist. (I wrote this a few years back, because some of my friends inspired me. haha.)

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

171 Views
Added on March 7, 2011
Last Updated on March 7, 2011

Author

Holly
Holly

Grand Rapids, MI



About
I try to write out what is on my mind... I'm sorta an engineer...in my head, I see the exact poem or story, and I have to write it down on paper.... same with artwork. Please review some of my a.. more..

Writing
Troublesome Troublesome

A Poem by Holly