Audition

Audition

A Story by GlamGirl
"

Auditioning for a local musical is certainly a journey!

"

       I stepped through the double doors of the lobby, tightly clutching my red folder. Everyone in the South Burlington High School Lobby was buzzing with excitement. I was about to audition for the biggest show of my life, Peter Pan. I had spent hours the night before filling out paperwork and convincing my mom that it was a good idea for me to audition. All of that preparation, for a few minutes.

    I handed my folder to the lady at the front desk. The lady pulled my auditions forms out from the folder, and scanned them with an approving glance. She stamped them and was smiling cheerfully when she sent me to a different desk across the room. At the next desk, I received my audition number; sixty-nine. I was sent to another final desk, where a photographer snapped a picture of me with my number.

    I hung out with my mom for a few minutes until I recognized some people from my dance class. We talked about what we had done over the summer until the artistic director, Tim Maynes, ushered everyone into the auditorium.              

    In the auditorium, we received the sheet music for our audition song, “I Won’t Grow Up”. After a few scales, we quickly learned the familiar tune. We were then assigned groups. I was in group three.

    Back in the Lobby, we were forced to be silent because other auditions were happening. Most of us went outside and choreographed our audition song. My friend and I practiced the song together and made a really cool dance. After going over our dance a few times, we headed back inside. We flipped through a couple of old magazines before becoming extremely bored. I glanced quickly at the clock, we had another hour until we actually auditioned. We headed back outside and talked for the rest of the hour.

      We came back inside and sat in a circle with the other members in group three. There were ten people in each of the groups. We went over the audition procedure: when to walk, where to sit, when to talk, and when to sing. The adult who was in charge of our group led us through the wooden double doors into the auditorium. We all had prize-winning smiles plastered on our faces as we walked past the ten judges. Surprisingly, I felt very relaxed as I took my assigned spot in a cold, metal chair.

     I smiled at my friend who always got freaked out about auditioning. I did a quick head count, and realized that I was the sixth person to audition in our group. I breathed a sigh of relief when the first three auditioners had no singing or dancing talent.  My heart started to beat faster as the girl in front of me finished singing. I received my cue to go center stage. I stated my name, my number, and the part that I wanted to get. I kept a smile on my face as I heard the pianist start playing.

      I sang the words of the song as clearly and confidently as I could while maintaining eye contact with the judges. The dance that I had learned just an hour ago came back to me without having to think about it. As the energy boost from performing hit me, I sang the last notes and headed back to my chair. While the judges were scrawling notes on their clipboards, I gave and encouraging nod to the little boy sitting next to me. I felt bad for him; he had a nervous glaze over his eyes. Earlier, I had seen him crying when we were getting into our groups. The last few people finished, and we headed out of the auditorium. I handed my audition tag back to the lady at the desk. I wished my friends good luck and said goodbye as I gathered up my things.

     I stepped outside, into the drizzly morning air. Taking a few deep breaths, I let everything sink in. I had just auditioned for the biggest show of my life, Peter Pan. 

© 2011 GlamGirl


Author's Note

GlamGirl
Real story!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I remember this story! you wrote it for english class this year! I really liked this!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 27, 2011
Last Updated on March 27, 2011

Author

GlamGirl
GlamGirl

VT



About
17, competitive dancer, musician, runner, general dork. I used to post a lot a few years ago, and I've found some interest again through a poetry class I am taking at school. Looking forward to pos.. more..

Writing
Janet Janet

A Poem by GlamGirl


Confess Confess

A Story by GlamGirl