Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

A Story by GlamGirl
"

A summary of the original tale

"

Once upon a time King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table had a feast. It was a great feast indeed. According to the customs, the King shall not eat until there is an adventurous story told. Suddenly, as if on cue, a knight galloped into the room. This knight was all green. His skin, armor, horse, shield, hair, and sword were all green. The knight wanted to find out if the Knights of the Round Table were brave. The Green Knight gave King Arthur a challenge. The challenge was that one brave knight would strike a blow at the Green Knight’s neck and exactly one year later that brave knight would have to travel to the Green Knight’s castle and he would receive a blow to the neck in return.

     One brave knight named Sir Gawain stood up to accept the Green Knight’s challenge. King Arthur quickly pulled Sir Gawain down. King Arthur said that no sensible knight would accept this challenge. The Green Knight turned away on his horse and muttered to himself that the Knights of the Round Table were cowards. Sir Gawain sprang up at this insulting remark. One cannot listen to such comments for so long. King Arthur reached out to pull Sir Gawain down again, but he was too late. The Green Knight was already kneeling down to receive his blow. Sir Gawain took out his ax and held it to the Green Knight’s neck. The Green Knight didn’t flinch. Sir Gawain brought down the ax with much skill and speed. The green head fell to the floor as blood spurted everywhere. The Green Knight put his head back onto his bloody neck and galloped away.

   Sir Gawain kept his promise. In one year’s time, he mounted his horse to go to the Green Knight’s castle. Sir Gawain had a long and treacherous journey ahead of him. He encountered many ferocious beasts and dangers on his way. When he entered the Green Knight’s castle, he saw the Green Knight waiting for him, sharpening his green ax. Sir Gawain knelt down while the Green Knight finished sharpening his sword. The Green Knight raised his ax above Sir Gawain’s head. Sir Gawain flinched ever so gently. The Green Knight yelled at Sir Gawain that he did not flinch when he received his blow, and he said that he would make it hurt more. The Green Knight brought the ax down on Sir Gawain’s neck. The ax landed on the side of his neck causing a gash down his neck. His blood trickled onto the snow.

    The Green Knight said he did not cut of his head because he had kept his word and followed through with his promise. The Green Knight gave Sir Gawain his green girdle to take home with him to his kingdom as proof that he had seen the Green Knight. He was now Sir Gawain the Knight. All of the Knights of the Round Table lived happily ever after

© 2011 GlamGirl


Author's Note

GlamGirl
Wow. I just found this in my computer files, and I wrote it 5 years ago! This was a literature project; we had to find a story and rewrite it. Enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1811 Views
Added on March 27, 2011
Last Updated on April 2, 2011
Tags: sir, gawain, and, the, green, knight, retell, summary, original

Author

GlamGirl
GlamGirl

VT



About
17, competitive dancer, musician, runner, general dork. I used to post a lot a few years ago, and I've found some interest again through a poetry class I am taking at school. Looking forward to pos.. more..

Writing
Janet Janet

A Poem by GlamGirl


Confess Confess

A Story by GlamGirl