Mr. November

Mr. November

A by gmwoody22
"

An op-ed piece about the current state of the Union, what the next administration faces, and recommendations for action. Looking for serious critique.

"

Mr. November.  Now what?

 
As the election draws inexorably near, the issues facing the next commander-in-chief are as intricate as they are varied.  Not since the end of the Great Depression and the onset of World War II, has our nation faced such seemingly daunting challenges both at home and abroad.  John F. Kennedy said, "The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie--deliberate, contrived, and dishonest--but the myth--persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.", and so it is.  The idealized American myth of invulnerability and opportunity are on the precipice of dissolution.  This great nation, its rightly-earned pride, extolled for over two-hundred years, feels the seeping in of self-doubt.
 
 
 
While the crises facing the nation are full of minutia; convoluted and ethereal in the case of the the financial markets; culturally and geopolitically sensitive in the case of foreign policy, it is up to the President to frame these issues in a language of commonality and principle easy for the "main-street" crowd to comprehend.  Once framed, deliberate action needs to be taken.
 
 
 
The airwaves are filled with the talk of the credit crisis, bailouts, and subsidization.  The average American, perplexed, thinks, "This affects me how?  I know my home is worth less.  The Johnsons down the street are asking $100,000 less for their home than I paid for this place 3 years ago",  "Maybe I should dip into Johnny's college fund", "I need to get my resume together, just in case" and so on and so on. Messieurs Obama and McCain, the nation requires a prudent response. There will be tough times ahead.  The answer is not "hope", but a commitment to doing what is fiscally right for America.  Change, talked about grandly during this election season, without a calling forth of sacrifice from the American people, is just a word.  Experience, when clothed in the guise of bad decisions, is what it is--bad experience.
 
 
 
 
Florida has long been home to an older and wiser population.  Mr. November needs to have committed, yet practical, solutions to issues facing this constituency.  Depending on the source, Social Security will be in grave distress by the year 2017, or 2040.  Simplistically, to fund the program, either benefits need to be cut (a hard sell to those relying on said benefits); or taxes need to be raised (a harder sell to all). What initially was meant to be a short-term program is now an unwieldy chimera.  Pragmatism suggests that major reform is needed.  The average life expectancy in 1935, the year social security was enacted, was 62 years of age.  One born today (with wide variations based on race, gender, socio-economic status, and other variables) can expect to live on average 78 years.  The program needs to be restructured to reflect this fact.  To cut the program outright, or fund it solely through personal accounts, is not going to happen.  To continue to fund the program as is, should not happen.  What is needed is an honest and complete actuarial rework of the entire system.  Health-Care faces similar problems. What say you Mr. Obama?  What say you Mr. McCain?
 
 
 
Likewise, the handling of the Iraq War, and the slumbering, yet dangerous threat of Islamic fundamentalism, provides an undercurrent of vitriolic and cumbersome debate.  Are we "nation-builders", colonialists looking to have an enduring economic and cultural presence? Are we, as we say we are, interested in spreading freedom and democracy?  Are our actions reflective of this espoused position?  Some 150 Floridians have been killed in Iraq.  Our National Guard in Florida is over-taxed and ill-prepared to handle the dual role of soldier overseas, protector at home.  Thankfully, the past hurricane season averted its wrath from our shores.  No one wants to lose a war.  No one wants to see another Katrina.  Unfortunately, wars and Katrinas are inevitable. This truth is apolitical.  Will you redress our concerns Mr. Obama?  Will you ensure our preparedness next hurricane season, Mr. McCain?     
 
 
 
Governor Crist rightly sided with environmentalists in his dealings with Big Sugar in Florida (sided may be too strong a word, as the issue was much more nuanced).  Our state is, and always should be, cognizant of the natural resources and beauty that aid in our collection of tourist dollars.  Proposals have been put forth for more drilling off the coasts of Florida and Alaska.  The short-term benefit will help, but long-term planning is needed.  Cannot more monies be spent shoring up our infra-structure, increasing the use and efficacy of public transportation services, developing ways to cut consumption, and investing in alternative fuel technologies?  Based on 2007 Federal Budget figures, we are spending $40 billion dollars on our public highways in the United States.  The government approved $26 billion dollars in bail-out funding to the auto industry!  Gas prices are regularly over $4.00 per gallon!  A public works agenda, emphasizing a well-thought out,  comprehensive approach to transportation in all its facets, needs to be developed and implemented.  Federal funding for the upgrading and expansion of Tri-Rail would be a start.  An end to our reliance on oil and oil producing nations needs to be our goal.  What say you Mr. President?
 
 
 
 
Florida was ahead of the curve with its "Save Our Homes" initiative, and the subsequent passage of the portability amendment.  A national policy along these lines should be instituted to protect against speculation and burdensome, unforeseen taxes. Historically, a 3% yearly increase in home value has been expected.  With the boom in real-estate prices over the past decade, this marginal gain has been replaced with unrealistic valuations.  Families have borrowed against this "fools-gold".  Our teachers, police-officers, fire-fighters, and small business owners, need relief and clearly defined expectations in housing.  Many of these same individuals were told that they could afford the "American Dream", and were goaded into buying houses above their means, with sub-prime, and interest only mortgages.  If arguably the most important members of our community cannot afford to live in our community, where will we be?  Mr. Obama?  Mr. McCain?
 
 
 
 
Florida has made great strides in education over the past several years. Education Week magazine recently ranked it 14th nationally for 2007-a 25 state leap from 2006.  While some will argue that a career in teaching is a calling, and money does not play a pivotal role in one's decision to become a teacher, I challenge those who say so to ask themselves the question so many of our young do when they choose a profession nowadays. "How much can I make?".  Too many of our brightest, who might choose a career in education, turn aside at the salaries they may expect in this career, as if a gallon of milk was left on the counter while they were away on vacation.   Education is the key to our continued survival in the world economy.  It is an issue that needs to be given a higher priority and solutions need to be acted upon. Adequate funding to recruit, train, and retain educated and qualified teachers needs to be a national priority.   While some debate the efficacy of No Child Left Behind, and the standardized tests such as the FCAT that such programs engendered, what is of more pressing concern is the actual education of our children.  Are we over-emphasizing the teaching of test-taking skills, to the exclusion of critical thinking?  Does this reliance on minimum, trackable standards inhibit the teaching of a classical education, one that has produced so many competent and innovative Americans?  Can we get teachers who can help us achieve both competency and excellence?  We need educators who are passionate, competent, and compensated.  Will you do it Mr. Obama?  Will you do it Mr. McCain? 
 
 

 
While there is truth to the saying that all politics is local, the issues facing Florida voters in November are intertwined with those facing the people of Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and the other swing states. They are communal issues, embedded in the fabric of our nation.  How can we best maintain the American ideal-the strings of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  We are Republicans; we are Democrats; we are Independents; we are Americans.  Can you help us, Mr. Obama? Can you feel our pain, Mr. McCain?   Will you step up to the plate "Mr. November"? Are you hearing us Mr. President?
 
 

© 2008 gmwoody22


My Review

Would you like to review this ?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have researched thoroughly for this write. Thank you. It is well written and can be directed at any audience. Thought provoking for those that have never thought about these issues.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
1 Review
Added on October 7, 2008
Last Updated on October 7, 2008

Author

gmwoody22
gmwoody22

Jupiter, FL



About
more..

Writing
Stop It!!! Stop It!!!

A Poem by gmwoody22