Mud

Mud

A Story by
"

Very short story written for the "One-Syllable Words Only Chall-onge". Hence, I could only use one-syllable words.

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Mud.



 

“Crap! How cold is it?” Jack made a face as he stood in the rain.
“Um, cold?” I stood in the frame of our front door. “You could just come back here, you know. It’s nice and warm.”
“But I don’t want to,” Jack whined. The kid was in his late teens, and he still did that.
“You’ll freeze out there,” I warned. “Oh, great. Snow.”
Jack grinned and caught a flake on his tongue. “Come out here. This is fun.”
“It’s too cold,” I said. Jack was my kin, but he was hard to live with. I could not get why he’d stand out in the rain and the snow. He would come back in soaked from head to toe, and Mum would yell at him. It did not change his ways, though. Jack did what we felt like.
“You’re no fun,” Jack told me. “You don’t do fun stuff. You need to be more like me.” There was no way I would bring him in right now, so I gave in.
“Fine,” I said as I stepped out to the cold. One of Jack’s friends snuck up and threw a ball of snow at me. I had no clue where he got it from. There was no snow on the ground yet.
“Yes!” he yelled. “Got you!”
I kneeled on the ground and made a ball of mud to throw back at him. I threw it and got him right in the face. We spent the rest of the day having a war of mud.
When Mum called us in, we were brown and wet. She yelled at both of us, but it did not matter. I got Jack now, in more than one way. Half the mud on him was from me. Not just that, but I knew why he liked days like this. Now I did, too.

© 2009


Author's Note

This is much better than my first attempt, "Child of the Night", I think. The flow is much better.



Featured Review

wow this is nice... hehehe is it hard making this one?


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This really shows how short stories are capable of being, your character has a set personality in the beginning, pushes her comfort zone in the middle, and by the end, she’s a whole new person, and the whole thing is only a few paragraphs. Well done.

Posted 4 Years Ago


wow this is nice... hehehe is it hard making this one?


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A good effort and an interesting premise for the tale. This was a nice little challenge I thought.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Haha, I like this one too. There are two two-syllable words in there, though :P

Good luck in the contest.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

10 Views
1 Review
Added on December 5, 2009
Last Updated on December 5, 2009
Tags: one-syllable, siblings, learning, understanding
Previous Versions