Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Isabelle Faye

Image
Image
I gazed out across the water, watching the surface sparkle as it reflected the sun's rays, the waves rolling. I closed my eyes, inhaling the salty sea air. I heard the waves crash against the shore, their soothing sound threatening my resolve. "No." I told myself, my voice barely louder than a whisper. "What's done is done, I've chosen. This is final." I thought back to the neatly folded note on my bed, waiting for someone to discover it. Below it was my private journal, the one no one knew I had, the one with the reasons why.

      I slipped off the hard rock I had been sitting on, my feet making a soft thump in the loose sand. Slowly, as if in a trance, I began to walk towards the water. My loose top billowed around me, its folds streaming in the wind. My light brown hair whipped in the breeze, blown back from my face. I felt exhilarated, excited. I was also sad. I let out a sorrowful laugh, the kind you have when you wish something was true but you know better. The kind where you wish for that little piece of fantasy, the serenity, the innocence to come back.

     I felt rather than saw the water wash over my feet, feeling it tickle my toes as it rushed back into the ocean. I took another step forward, into the frothy surf. The water lapped around my ankles, then my calves. I closed my eyes, drawing in a deep breath through my nose. I felt the sun's fingers caress my skin, leaving a soft warmth. I tilted my chin up, absorbing its warm light for the last time.

     One foot in front of the other I walked, the waves covering my waist, then my stomach. I just kept walking, eyes closed, head tilted up to the sun. It was strange, the feeling I was experiencing, almost like nirvana. The world around me was moving like normal but where I was, it had stopped, fallen silent. All I could hear were the waves washing up on the shore. It was a transcendent state, like I wasn't attached to my body anymore, I was separate, different. It was utter contentedness. I was up to my nose now. I savored the air one last time, taking one last breath.

     "I'm sorry." I whispered to the wind. I took one last gulp of air and stepped forward. The water closed over my head, engulfing me, blocking out all sound, a peaceful, tranquil abyss. Blackness surrounded me as I sank down,down,down.


© 2012 Isabelle Faye


Author's Note

Isabelle Faye
So, what do you think? Anything I should change? Should I keep writing it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Omg thats spectacular, I really felt the emotion! Wonderful writing, I loved it!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Isabelle Faye

10 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad that you like it.
First of all: fantastic. I love reading this and I've read it over and over a few times to be quite honest. Definitely keep writing it, or something like it because it's unique and I personally love it.
The imagery that you use is incredible, especially with the way she holds herself and the clothes she is wearing. The tone of this Prologue is very touching. Not like the sort of "Aw, so touching and lovey" kind of touching, but more like it hits home if you've gone through something similar.
I haven't, but this makes me feel like I have. It's strange, but that's why I love this. You shouldn't change anything because it really is fantastic and I love it.
Emma xx
(P.S. Congradulations winning 3rd place in my contest!)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Isabelle Faye

11 Years Ago

Thank you for your feedback. I'm very glad that you like this. I've been trying to continue this but.. read more
Emma Pond

11 Years Ago

I know how you feel with the writer's block. I've been sitting around for the past hour or so trying.. read more
Isabelle Faye

11 Years Ago

Yes, writers block is quite a resilient little bugger. Those sort of feelings do tend to be overlook.. read more
This is a morbid piece indeed, i feel your character's silent retreat, her messages left behind for others to find. A sad and final retreat from a world she was somewhat hurt by.
If you can take it somewhere by all means do because this is fantastic piece of work, lovely your way with words paints such vivid and clear images in mind that to dabble in your work would be my pleasure

Posted 11 Years Ago


Isabelle Faye

11 Years Ago

Thank you. I wrote another chapter but I'm not happy with it. I'm glad you like this.
You posted this a while ago, but you haven't added a second chapter. I'd say you should use paragraphing because it's very untidy and the small writing is a bit off putting. The photo ruins your layout so either get rid of it or move it to the bottom of the page (I don't know if that's possible or not, I don't put photos in my writing so I wouldn't know). Write the next chapter and don't worry so much about this one. Fix those basic things - it won't take long.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Isabelle Faye

11 Years Ago

Thank you. As you can see, I took your advice.
replace the second sad with sorrowful! then it will be perfect!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Isabelle Faye

11 Years Ago

Thank you so so so so so so so so so so much! I've been trying to fix that ever since I wrote it. Th.. read more
I think it's very well done, but sometimes the wording could be a little more suited to the situation. Like "I was also sad. I let out a sad laugh, the kind you have when you wish something was true but you know better. " - the repetition of the word "sad" kind of feels out of place.
If you space it out with different paragraphs to add some pacing that would probably help it sound more...grim, and more final.
I liked your use of punctuation though; it provided a nice flow and pace of its own. Great!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Isabelle Faye

11 Years Ago

Thank you. I know, that sad bugs me as well but I don't know what to replace it with. Different para.. read more
Isabelle Faye

11 Years Ago

I almost wanted it to be kind of peaceful. That sounds weird but that's how I wanted to write it.
IAmGhost120

11 Years Ago

By pacing, I meant using paragraphs to kind of indicate where you would stop to breathe if you were.. read more
Quit the modesty. I've never 'seen' a suicide situation painted this beautifuly and vividly. In all honesty, your chapter intimidates my intellect. You're a gorgeous writer!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Isabelle Faye

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I'm really glad that you like it, I was focusing on imagery when I wrote this, I .. read more
Alexander143

11 Years Ago

You're welcome. Anytime.
I love it! So, if this is the prologue, is the rest of the book what happens after she dies? Or is she somehow rescued? Or is the rest of the book what led her up to that fateful moment? I definitely want more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Isabelle Faye

11 Years Ago

Oops...experiences, sorry.
Dil Coeur

11 Years Ago

Ah, I totally understand. Unfortunately I tend to get big ideas that get started and never finished,.. read more
Isabelle Faye

11 Years Ago

Yes, I do love the ability to complete an idea quickly that poetry offers. I never have finished a s.. read more
Wow. This is really good so far. I wonder what happens after this though. Keep writing. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Isabelle Faye

11 Years Ago

I probably never will finish this...I love writing the start of books but I never really carry throu.. read more
I think its a great prologue. The description is amazing:) the pic compliments it nicely too:) keep writing!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

749 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 15, 2012
Last Updated on September 2, 2012


Author

Isabelle Faye
Isabelle Faye

About
Hi! My pen name is Isabelle Faye but you can call me Isabelle or Belle for short. I'm an under 18 year old writer from the United States. I write both poetry and books/novels but the latter tend to pr.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..