... of the Moon

... of the Moon

A Poem by gram linski

… of the Moon

They came like wolves
                    like wolves to my door
                        like wolves in the night
Howling and slavering into the dawn,

They came like wolves
                    like wolves to my door
calling me home into the night
                                            the Moon,
                                                          into ...
And the fire burned bright, brighter
                                                bright,

They came like wolves
                    like wolves to my door

             The doubts
             and fears of...

                     … of the Moon

© 2019 gram linski


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This one is pretty hypnotic. Incantation in my head. It feels like a song to me, and that perhaps in the singing some kind of protection encloses the vulnerable mind.

You’ve got that great technique of yours with the bookended phrase. So, we, as readers, begin in the middle of the madness and become trapped in it too because we end where we began.

I love the way the repetition coupled with the formatting works like steps. The image in my head is that of some ancient stone temple. Those ones that were bought with/built with the blood and sweat of the often unwilling, but nevertheless compelled laborer.

And the poem moves on. With an urgency that makes me feel chased. And even the moon takes on a menace as it is the commander of those wolves. And the night itself is the minion of the many faces of madness. But, it’s not a madness of the unaware. More the unsettled. The reaching whose arms become barred from moving further to grasp the thing they need to harness the power of the wolves and moon for themselves.

I don’t know. I really like the gallop of this. Like a heartbeat set to take flight—seeking its equilibrium.

That the moon itself has doubts and fears here...well, the world as we know it is standing elsewhere and looking for a way out of the woods. But there’s no light.

Posted 4 Years Ago


gram linski

4 Years Ago

thanks again for your great review, Eilis, am fairly certain that's exactly what I was thinking whe.. read more
How the cover of darkness and the moon, to some, do not give comfort and a night of good night sleep. But just brings the beast to the door as your poem states. As that is the time your fears become reality and your mind finds no rest just suffers more from all your woes and struggles.

Posted 5 Years Ago


gram linski

5 Years Ago

Indeed, dear Dawn, the night is usually a good friend of mine, but some times comes on like some mad.. read more
Nightmares are the uncontrolable cries of our souls as they struggle with the conflict between Ego and Id. Wolves are a great metaphor and you use repitition to good effect, injecting a feeling of someone at the end of their tether as they stuggle with these images.

Posted 5 Years Ago


gram linski

5 Years Ago

Once again thanks for your insightful, poetic views, you see deeper than me and my simple words,
Love the structure and repetition in/of this. Really great read!

Posted 5 Years Ago


gram linski

5 Years Ago

Thanks, J.B. stark and dark, much like my sense of humour, lol glad you liked it,
The moon, the coming of the wolves. Could be a wild and dangerous night. Nice tale in the amazing poem my dear friend.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


gram linski

5 Years Ago

Thanks Coyote, most nights can be wild and dangerous, depends on your perspective, cheers
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

You are right and you are welcome.
interesting perspective on the moon my new found friend! the magickal, mythical qualities of wolves and moons as fears and doubts ... i see the moon and stars and have two very big dogs that compell me to be outside in the wee hours .. if the skies are clear we have many very bright moonshines on the forest trees .. i have always been inspired by the quiet and beauty as me puppies go about morning chores .. i think i will see it with a bit of and edge after reading "...of the Moon" ;) aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


gram linski

5 Years Ago

Great review E. thanks, beware there is a super moon on the horizon
Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

i live in the Ozarks of Arkansas and am continually amazed at how many very bright moons i see here .. read more
Beware the wolves at the door. They come to hound you. They come to haunt you and the menacing moonlight aids them. Spooky writing. I liked it.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

I always liked the Dark Side of the Moon. Pink Floyd:)
gram linski

5 Years Ago

Excellent album, a true classic,
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Sure is :)
something spooky and menacing about the moon even as its shine and shape is so beautiful.
It turns into other selves....and the wolves catch the scent of that other self and come howling...
slavering, as you say.
no doubts about this poem...it speaks volumes in its brevity.
j.

Posted 5 Years Ago


gram linski

5 Years Ago

Cheers j., glad you liked it, soundtrack ;Howling Wolf, obviously,

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 19, 2019
Last Updated on March 19, 2019

Author

gram linski
gram linski

About
Caged In An Animal's Mind Caged in an animal's mind; No wish to be more or else Than I am; a smile and a grief Of breath that thinks with its blood, Yet straining despite; unsure In my stir .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


As I Sit As I Sit

A Poem by Robert