Enola

Enola

A Story by Cecilia
"

Enola's Story

"

Once Upon a time there was a young girl. I'd say about three. Her mom worked all week and tried very hard to be a good mother, her father, named... B worked very hard too, but things from her mothers past held the family back. Her mother had a strange way with men and picked abusive men every time.
B was not the young girl's biological father. M was. M was very very abusive, he just loved to hurt her and her mother. Her mother just up and left with the young girl one day. We'll call the young girl Enola. So after a while without M, Enola's mother had a best friend named B and decided to marry him. It was great, except, B sometimes hit. A lot.  He sometimes hit Enola and her mother. He would occasionally starve Enola, he would lock her in her room for days, and if she managed to get out to use the restroom or look for food, the punishment was extended. B had a strange way of teaching lessons but nothing was good enough for him. Enola did all the house work, cleaning, cooking, laundry, trash, everything. But they didn't have a vacuum and she had to get on her hands and knees to scrub the floors and "hand vacuum," if that's what you wanted to call it, and you got it, no washer and dryer. Enola was three years old and doing the familes laundry in a tub with a wash board.
Enola grew up being called "Cinderella." As she grew up, she realized it was a joke. She wasn't anything like Cinderella. No prince was going to come and smite her parents and save her. She was young, but smart. She didn't believe the lies. She knew better.
Enola's parents moved everywhere. Once a year a different school and a different city, and sometimes, a different state. Occasionally two or three times a year. They moved to Colorado one year because her mom enrolled in the army, Colorado, where Enola was hated. People shunned her and threw rocks at her, broke into her room at night and it wasn't fair to her, she was so terribly scared and guess who didn't believe her? Parents. And not only did they not believe her, they drowned out her crying and screaming with sex. In fact, if Enola didn't scream, it was because she was sleeping in the living room, where her parents had sex in front of her. You pick, people tormenting you in your room, or your parents having sex in front of you?
Eventually, they moved back to her home town but her mom was still in Colorado, still in the army, it was just her and B, but she loved B, he was her dad. How could she not? B took her so many places and spoiled her, he took her to a warehouse a lot, she LOVED going to the warehouse, exploring so many rooms while her dad was in band practice, eventually there were a lot of kids there and they had two men to baby sit all the kids. These men did horrible disgusting things to Enola. Things that soiled her. Destroyed her. Things like rape. And this continued until she was about six. But by that time her mother had returned and they were one happy family for two more years.
Once Enola was in second grade her mother took her to a deli and told her they were leaving B. They were going to go somewhere that her mother could go to college. They were running away and she wasn't allowed to tell anyone. No one. And that's a big secret for a little girl. Enola of course failed, she told her best friend and they wept together. They were best of friends.
Well, a few months past and Enola's best friend was performing in a ballet and Enola was invited! Her mother said yes, her friend would be there at two and everything was set! It was so incredibly exciting. Enola's mom came running in just saying "Pack your stuff! Pack!" It was the day they were moving. She saw B crying in the bedroom. She was never allowed to see B ever again. Ever.
They moved in with a man named R after one year living in a college dorm. That year in the dorm was maybe Enola's favorite year ever. Just her and her mom. No problems. But she liked R, he didn't hit and treated Enola very well. He got her toys and cats and video games and tons of stuff! How could she be happier? She couldn't, but nothing lasts forever. By the time Enola was in sixth grade her mother started changing drastically, she become incredibly mean and spiteful. She hit Enola a lot. Enola didn't know what to do. She had her two best friends, S and C. C and Enola dated and Enola treated C very well, but C did not return the favor, C destroyed Enola. Massively. C turned everyone against Enola. Everyone. She had to beg on her knees to get people to look at her then had to beg and cry some more (after a week) to get them to forgive her. She did nothing wrong.
Enola was in eighth grade now and her mother had fat surgery and was away in the hospital and Enola was left at C's and had to go home everyday to take care of her two little hamsters. Well when her mom was back home Enola went to, only to find one of her hamsters murdered. By guess who? Mommy. Her mother kicked her and told her to get over it. After that December her life went to a downward spiral. Her mother became an extreme alcoholic and hit even more than ever.
It'd been four years since Enola had moved, time for change. New city right before high school.  Enola was a coming up freshman, exciting! But by this point she was way more mature than everyone. By four years at least. But not her mom! Her mom could have fit right in at her high school. So she went to school everyday to deal with maggots and came home to her abusive alcoholic mom. Her conversations went like this.
"Hey....Mommy." (she's not allowed to call her mother anything other than mommy unless she wants to get slapped.)
"Enola, you're a w***e."
"What? Why?"
(gets slapped here)
"Don't back talk you ungrateful b***h."
"Okay."
"Excuse me?"
"Yes ma'am."

Her mother was so drunk everyday she was back to her three year old self. R was never home, would you be? She had to clean, do the chores, clean, laundry, trash, oh and bare the weight of being a teenage girl with teenage problems, home work, and alcoholic mom.  She bathed her mom daily and made sure her mother took her medicine. All fifty pills. Rehab didn't help. Either time. Neither did getting a DUI and losing her liscense, or going to jail. Or the car crashes. All six or seven of them (All in January). Enola's an upcoming sophomore who's striving to graduate early with only a boyfriend to help get her through things. I suppose Enola's mom is getting better. She screams as much but she doesn't hit as much or as hard.

© 2009 Cecilia


Author's Note

Cecilia
A true story...? And I know Enola.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good Lord child--please tell me this is not u...please. If it is, get help. if it's a friend of yours, help her. there are certainly churches, authorities, social workers, teachers...so many people that have good hearts that want to feed and clothe and most importantly LOVE this child.

as for your writing, it seems very stream of conciousness, like you just wanted to get it out because it's so toxic. You need to work on your grammar and spelling for sure, sentence structure, etc. But the words are powerful. keep the core of your story.

hope that helps...

rachel

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
1 Review
Added on August 8, 2009

Author

Cecilia
Cecilia

TN



About
I love a lot. I love love, in fact it's my favorite thing, I love being in love, I love quotes, I love anime, I love video games, I love art, I love poetry, I love life, I love smiling, I lo.. more..

Writing
I'm... I'm...

A Story by Cecilia


wordvomit. wordvomit.

A Poem by Cecilia


The Letter The Letter

A Story by Cecilia