Black 1930's Harlem; No End

Black 1930's Harlem; No End

A Poem by Einstein Noodle
"

my submission for 1st week MOOC assignment .. still working it ;)https://app.novoed.com/#!/courses/poetry-and-plays-2017/home a free class anyone can join

"
Black 1930's Harlem; No End
Breath struggles first ....
to last .... the

stoop is high enough to
fall ... I  walk
down 
        down the long block
past the nickel Jitney; 
curb leaning Jitney ... the
disarray of dead soldiers

scattered ...
leaves a head balled up ...

Ya'know?

Sidewalk cracks .........

Long and 
              long and .................long time!

Enough to hide the fear.

Black ..............

cracks .................cracked crackers

Crack Head ....              

in the sidewalk; not to step on,
not to break momma's back, I 
tip toe like a hoofer
tap tap around the
corner
out of sight where everything is Jake

everything is jake.

alone and balled up; i'm
just scattered dead soldiers
around the block.


posted first on 07/22/2017
revision 07/25/2017
E.

© 2017 Einstein Noodle


Author's Note

Einstein Noodle
slang used can be googled ..jitney, dead soldier, balled up, jake and hoofer

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Stunning, stunning, stunning! The form, cadence, rhythm, language- the musicality of this poem is stellar. "Dead soldiers"- empty wine/liquor bottles littering stoops, sidewalks and streets- I know them well. Stepping over passed-out bodies of men and women on steps and in alcoves- I know that too. I was born in East Harlem and wrote lyrics for songs performed by artists,such as Patti LaBelle, at Harlem's Apollo Theatre in the 80s. Spent the rest of my life "uptown" in the Bronx, but the Harlem connection is strong. Thank you for bittersweet memories and this wonderful poem my friend.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

wow! what an experience you have Ms. Annette! yes and yes and yes this is the picture i was striving.. read more
Annette Pisano-Higley

6 Years Ago

You are very welcome E. I am honored to read your work and be able to review it! :)



Reviews

Skid row....liquor bottles scattered on the sidewalks with alcoholics lying there next to them. There is a beat rhythm to the words....I could feel it. The imagery you employ packs a punch and the varied margins give the words even more impact. Very good, E. Lydi**

Posted 6 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

Lydia...you are so encouraging to me ..thank you for finding and reading this one ... Harlem is an i.. read more
The picture you paint I can only imagine. Each line seems important and conveys the message like a camera. That was in 1930. I expect the picture has changed a bit since then?

Posted 6 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

Harlem has gone through many metamorphosis .. i love its rich history ;) thank you for taking time A.. read more
Love, love the music.. love, love the music of your creation.. a re.creation of time back when atmosphere was born to last.. and here, in your wonderful writing, it has, oh yes, it has!!

I've never been to Harlem, probably never will, but dear Lord, have you brought its life to me.. THANK YOU! Have read quite a few of your poems but for me, this is the very, very best!

Your words have draped me in a time when life was rich but changing; when colours were ripening from pale to significant. The way you've displayed your 'tale' is breath-taking: providing both full feast and 'dead soldiers' (new phrase for me and richer for it) plus so much more. I could stay a while.. given permission!

(Stayed anyway: had to listen to and look at the video once again - what a great addition to an already great post!)

Posted 6 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

wow emma...i am so humbled and don't kow what to say ..but thank you so much for this encouraging, s.. read more
emmajoy

6 Years Ago

I will read it.. promise, later on but, BUT as ever stayed too long in my haven of happiness..
read more
a great story about harlem ,and where you can go,and who is welcome

Posted 6 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

interesting comments wordman! thank you for taking time
E.
Out of my league on this one for understanding but thought the write flowed well. Hope this helps.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

well dear friend...we do try eh!? this is supposed to be in the skin of someone we are not ... and p.. read more
Cryingkate

6 Years Ago

Ha. Can U Believe My Most Prized prts of my Collections are from the 30's But i know Nothing of Harl.. read more
Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

:) ................
this poem means that you are working with shapes too..Harlem, 1930 is the time of multiple shapes and sounds....as African Americans left the south in droves and settled in the cultural enclaves in New York, Chicago and Detroit. Langston, Eubie Blake, Willie the Lion Smith, etc....had all come up from the south to an already established art movement. The fist 10 lines of this poem reminded me of that 'jazz', that syncopation of spirits trying to fit in a new world.....I see where others here have used the word transport.....And I agree with the need for poetry to transport us; our dimensional, cultural phosphors as evidence that the present is not all there is or was..

great poem.....dana

Posted 6 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

thanks dana! i love the history of Harlem .. this poem is our first weeks assignment for the class i.. read more
Stunning, stunning, stunning! The form, cadence, rhythm, language- the musicality of this poem is stellar. "Dead soldiers"- empty wine/liquor bottles littering stoops, sidewalks and streets- I know them well. Stepping over passed-out bodies of men and women on steps and in alcoves- I know that too. I was born in East Harlem and wrote lyrics for songs performed by artists,such as Patti LaBelle, at Harlem's Apollo Theatre in the 80s. Spent the rest of my life "uptown" in the Bronx, but the Harlem connection is strong. Thank you for bittersweet memories and this wonderful poem my friend.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

wow! what an experience you have Ms. Annette! yes and yes and yes this is the picture i was striving.. read more
Annette Pisano-Higley

6 Years Ago

You are very welcome E. I am honored to read your work and be able to review it! :)
dear E... 'and all that jazz...'. very musical and lyrical poetry that sets the mood around my soul... Just before 1970, I saw "Porgy and Bess" at the theatre in the round in Shady Grove, Maryland. The theatre was enclosed in a huge old Canvas Circus Tent that had levels of seats inside going around. That evening people brought umbrellas because of a light rain that was worrisome. Halfway or more through the play it began to rain quite heavily... both on the shore of the beach in the Play, and also for real outside the Tent. Because the old circus Tent had holes of deterioration in the roof, people opened their umbrellas in their seats when the rain poured down. The Play was temporarily interrupted along with the music played by an orchestra. We had listed to sings like "Bess, you is my Woman" and Sport'in Life singing of Bess running away with him ... It was uncanny and surreal that there was thunder and lightening in the Play and 'for real' outside the theatre tent. (E... your poetry reads like a Play and you can hear the Jazz being sung). Many of us have had traumas in life that survive in a dramatic way. Life can be heart-wrenching.
Now we share our feelings and emphasize with love in our hearts. truly, Pat

Posted 6 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

wow Pat! i am touched that this reading brought so many magical and heartfelt memories to you. i maj.. read more
Patricia Wedel

6 Years Ago

Wow! Your background is amazing. My grandson Ethan will be in high school this Fall. He has been .. read more
Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

and bravo to you and family for being an encouraging force in your children's and grandchildren's li.. read more
happy to read this one again - it really is a winner winner chicken dinner X

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

i changed it here and there ... now i am hungry for chicken salad sandwiches .. yum! picnic at noon .. read more
This was intense and I agree with Ken Simm. I don't know anything about those times, but I felt like I've been there while and after reading your poem! Powerful write! Tyfs!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

thank you for reviewing Sir Cypian .. its so gratifying that it put you there .. your comments encou.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

643 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 25, 2017
Last Updated on July 25, 2017

Author

Einstein Noodle
Einstein Noodle

Pork Rind, AK



About
This morning as I began to log in to WC, it occurred to me what an inspiring and comfortable place this has become for me. There are so many talented people sharing, encouraging, teaching and learni.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Windy Windy

A Story by Samuel Dickens