Everything happens for a reason?

Everything happens for a reason?

A Story by KristiLee


when i was younger, I went to a Christian summer camp for a week. One night, around a camp fire, the counselors were telling us that God has a plan and everything happens for a reason. The girl next to me, who was starting to become a good friend of mine, started crying. I tried to comfort her the best I could, and seeing that my efforts had little effect, I helped her stand up and we walked away from the rest of the camp. I didn't immediately ask her what was wrong because I could tell she needed a minute or two to calm down.
Eventually, she looked up and stared directly into my eyes.
"Two years ago," she began shakily, "My dad was killed."
I just stared at her. My dad was my world. I couldn't imagine losing him at such a young age. The girl before me was 10. She was quiet and shy, but once you got to know her, she was bouncy, energetic and full of love. I couldn't believe she was telling me this right now. In no way did she seem like a ten year old who lost a parent.
"I-I'm really sorry." i offered timidly
"I just don't understand." she continued looking straight at me with a blank stare, but it didn't look like she saw me at all, "They keep saying that everything happens for a reason. But what reason could there possibly be that justifies my dad dying? It just doesn't make sense to me."
Wow. How am I supposed to respond to that?
"Maybe there's some deeper reason that you haven't found yet." I tried my best to cheer her up. "Maybe God needed your dad to do something even greater. Something you and I can't even imagine. maybe something good will come out of it."
Just then she did see me. She looked right at me. "What good could possibly come out of an eight year old having to grow up without a dad?"
"I know you're upset, and you miss him, but the best you can do right now is hope. Just be happy he is with God now, and hope that this experience really does have a positive outcome. "
She just stared at me. I couldn't tell what she was thinking, and I wasn't sure I wanted to know. Then, all of a sudden, i saw the tiniest hint of a smile. "I guess you're right. Thank you." she said, hugging me.
that was seven years ago. I'm now eighteen and could really use an eleven year old version of myself to keep me going.
back then I never would have imagined me life ending up the way it did. Who would have thought that that positive little eleven year old would be struggling on the verge of depression only seven years later?
No one could have guessed. But that's how all of my life is and has always been: unpredictable.
My brother getting caught up in drugs, dropping out of college and moving out, only to have no place to go; My mom, depressed, and always on edge; My dad, over-stressed, and always sick; Both of them expecting the perfect daughter they’ll never have;  My little brother,once my best friend, not wanting anything to do with me - I never saw it coming. I never would have guessed that in those seven years I would have been cheated on and lied to so many times; that i would’ve been used and pushed around; That I would be “that girl” with the scars and the fake smile; That I would ever hate myself and not want to be the person I am; That I would’ve been abused and taken advantage of the way I was. I never saw myself becoming someone who wasn’t happy in their own skin; someone who tried taking the easy way out; someone who would change everything for one person, only to be betrayed and abused by them; someone who could no longer look in the mirror, out of shame and disgust; someone who cried into her pillow every night out of fear; someone who purposely sabotaged relationships because one guy - one guy and the fear he instilled in me. I never would’ve guessed that only three people could completely destroy me, and yet, here i am: broken and depressed, emotionally and physically scarred, tired and on the verge of tears, angry and ready to explode. How did this happen in just a few short years? How did I change so much? How did they get to me? How did they destroy me?  I tried so hard to gain back control, but I’m slowly losing my mind as i watch my whole world crumble. I have no one to talk  to, no where to go, and absolutely nothing to look forward to.
As I sit here and ponder my life, i can't help but think about that little eleven year old at camp. Where was she when I needed her most. i don't remember what the other girl looked like, or what her name was, but what I do remember is the sadness in her eyes. the hope that replaced it, and the promise we made, never to forget the truth behind those five words. But it's much harder than we thought. What could the reasons possibly be for the way my life is now? And when will I see a positive outcome? Looking back I can’t help but wonder: Was I being wise and insightful, or just stupid and naive?

© 2012 KristiLee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
Added on December 10, 2010
Last Updated on September 27, 2012