Cooking Lessons

Cooking Lessons

A Poem by Shalini R
"

One of the very first things I wrote.

"

My mother taught me to cook

With love and care and a dash of pepper.

My father taught me to cook

With precision and diligence and a quarter cup of milk.

My brother taught me

To leave the cooking to someone else.

My best friend taught me

How to make Easy Mac.

My boyfriend

Would rather cook for me.

My teacher taught m to cook

By utter experimentation.

My childhood friend taught me to cook

But that didn’t turn out too well.

Now I’m trying to teach myself

But the water boils over

The dish is always charred

Many years of direction

All gone to waste.

Suppose I’ve still a ways to go.

 

© 2008 Shalini R


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Building a perfect person is often a lot like cooking and yet you've proved it within your poem seeing that its a simple and easy point to prove in this. It's a simple feeling to know that you've found something to truly unique about yourself. Your poetry right here a simple and quiet diction about it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A lot of the poem on this site, I just don't understand, but yours I do. Very amusing, it might be a nice addition to a cookbook. Oh, and you missed an "E" in the stanza: My teacher taught m(e) to cook.

Posted 12 Years Ago


How sweet! I've never really "learned" how to cook. Was never interested when mom wanted to teach me and she's gone now. I love this piece and all the wonderful aspects of who teaching you what. Life is so cool like that....you can learn the same lessons in many different forms, from many different teachers. Add a dash of your own style....and it's all yours!! When I had my first apartment, I never ever used the oven!!! The stove I could handle...the oven...woah, too much time and effort there! lol My man also likes to cook, love that in a man!!!! Very sweet piece, I love it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Roy
Superb underlying philosophy ... knowing oneself is never easy .. and no one can show you your true semblance ... kudos!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lol, you are funny. I can make delicious dishes if i want but i hate it!!!
Even if i am locked in a kitchen, i'd rather starve and survive by drinking water.
My mom tried, i showed my chubby grin rooted firmly in one place and she quit.
My sis tried, i burnt the whole chicken...
Now my Bf is coaxing me, lets see after a month whom he will choose?
Me or his pateint to teach me...

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Everyone should learn how to cook. Something other than easy mac in the microwave. I gave up cooking indoors I let my husband and the kids do that. I like to cook outdoors or over an open fire in a hearth. I enjoyed your story.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This poem is definitely not all about cooking! I like the way you talk about the varying ways in which the different people have affected your life. The fact that you are able to add humor to this subject is fantastic.
The ending is really cool - "Suppose I�ve still a ways to go."

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Building a perfect person is often a lot like cooking and yet you've proved it within your poem seeing that its a simple and easy point to prove in this. It's a simple feeling to know that you've found something to truly unique about yourself. Your poetry right here a simple and quiet diction about it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Easy Mac and letting someone else cook for you are probably the easiest things to do. lol. This was good for one of your first writes.

-Bryce

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

hmmm . . . Easy Mac sounds good.
Nowadays you don't have to learn how to cook - just how to use a microwave oven.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 5 people found this review constructive.

my how far you have come!

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 6 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 10, 2008

Author

Shalini R
Shalini R

black hole, MD



About
The name's Shalini, I'm addicted to wrecklessness. DOT, not feathers. I'm kind of a strange colabaration of ridiciously fun-loving [sadly sometimes without weighing the cost] and an old soul. I am .. more..

Writing
Mallorca Mallorca

A Poem by Shalini R


Childhood Childhood

A Poem by Shalini R



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Poem A Poem

A Poem by Sean Allen


Bloom Bloom

A Poem by Jenny Davis