Writing Exercise: Describe a Color Without Using the Word

Writing Exercise: Describe a Color Without Using the Word

A Story by I Cast a Shadow
"

Without using the word of the color described, in less than ten sentences, invoke the color

"

The hue was like the freshest of strawberries. It was passion and craving in their very essence as they stand both in a poetic metaphysical understanding but also on a plane derived from the preceding; it was lust. A carnal passion and craving too -- of all the places where blood can be seen from the most transparent of tissues -- where all the fluid is concentrated through a dense and concentrated presence of arterioles and capillary beds. The color was inarguable; an indefinite stain that could not have been any other color but what I saw and it burned my eyes and my brain like a permanent brand. I could not look away so instead I shut my eyes so tightly to escape it but was only reminded of it; her, lying there sprawled upon the bed as if only taken by exhaustion. She was here around the same time yesterday pressing her dressed supple lips upon the most firm and juice-filled strawberries. Now, the stain is real and I cannot go back. I let go of the axe that clung to my tired grip and barely heard it hit the wood floors that now filled their grain with her -- and I was covered in her too. I know that even when I wash the color away it will still be there and my eyes won't let me see anything else. 

© 2012 I Cast a Shadow


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

263 Views
Added on December 14, 2012
Last Updated on December 14, 2012
Tags: red, strawberries, death, beautiful, lust, carnal, passion, murder, massacre, axe, blood, fruit

Author

I Cast a Shadow
I Cast a Shadow

Portland, OR



About
I read classics, science fiction, philosophy, and very little fantasy. I am inspired by Taoism and other Eastern philosophy, anarchy, new concepts, my ancestry, my muse, her family, my own family, .. more..

Writing