Alone and Bored

Alone and Bored

A Story by James Hall
"

Sat at home, alone

"

 

I sit, alone with my thoughts, in a room dimly lit, in a house that has been empty for a day. Its cold, I guess the heating was turned down before bedtime last night. The chill was uncomfortable and it will be a while before the room warms through. I am bored, nothing on TV, the web has well and truly been exhausted, no one is chatting in the virtual sense. Two hours before I pick up my company for the evening, although for how long I will keep awake is anyones guess. Thud Thud goes my neighbough running up her staircase. Is it a zoo, could she be an elephants offspring. Most probably. I press the buttons on the remote, but nothing amuses me, guess it will have to be Friends reruns. Maybe eating will help, if only I wasn’t on the usual post Christmas diet. Maybe a sandwich, that might give me something to do. Shame its not chocolate.
 
The sandwich was mediocre, not really satisfying, but it did the trick. One and a half hours to go before I get in the car, oh great, its raining, heavily. Still, what’s a bit of water to meet someone to talk to. No more loneliness. Yet another episode of Friends comes on the box, seen it before, but it still makes me laugh. Its now just an hour away. I think I will go and wash up. Water too hot and I burn my hands, oh well, it will kill some time.
 
Got to go now, pick up my partner, probably be in bed soon after, and then the drudgery starts all over again. Work, then home. At least she is not working late tomorrow, so I wont be lonely.

© 2008 James Hall


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wondeful. I like how this is like a reflection on life and how boring it can be. You can really what little we do sometimes, then again, sometimes I like to do very little. It gives me the sense that I'm still alive, and reminds me some days that my body, just like my mind needs relaxing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I like the rambling style of this; it's kind of stream-of-consciousness writing...tumptee tum tum, these are the thoughts in my head sort of thing, you know?
It could be argued that this is social commentary on the modern lifestyle. We have the luxury of getting bored sometimes...we fill our hours doing things that our ancestors, and even the previous generation, could not have done...

"I am bored, nothing on TV, the web has well and truly been exhausted, no one is chatting in the virtual sense"

"Yet another episode of Friends comes on the box"

"The sandwich was mediocre"

...alternatively, you wrote this to fill in some time, or you wrote it to give the impression of a person who is temporarily bored.

It's an ok read.
I liked: "Water too hot and I burn my hands, oh well, it will kill some time."

Some typos:

"Its cold" [it's]

"Its cold, I guess the heating was turned down before bedtime last night"
[suggest changing comma for a semi colon:
Its cold; I guess the heating was turned down before bedtime last night]

"I am bored, nothing on TV, the web has well and truly been exhausted, no one is chatting in the virtual sense." [needs a bit of impact after "I am bored". I suggest a full stop, colon or a hyphen:

I am bored. Nothing on TV, the web has well and truly been exhausted, no one is chatting in the virtual sense.

I am bored - nothing on TV, the web has well and truly been exhausted, no one is chatting in the virtual sense.

I am bored: nothing on TV, the web has well and truly been exhausted, no one is chatting in the virtual sense.]

"how long I will keep awake is anyones guess" [anyone's]

"could she be an elephants offspring" [elephant's]

"Shame its not chocolate." [it's]

"One and a half hours to go before I get in the car, oh great"
[suggest: One and a half hours to go before I get in the car...oh great]

"oh great, its raining" [it's]

"Yet another episode of Friends comes on the box, seen it before"
[suggest semi colon instead of comma:
Yet another episode of Friends comes on the box; seen it before]

"Its now just an hour away" [It's]

"Got to go now, pick up my partner, probably be in bed soon after, and then the drudgery starts all over again." [sentence suggestion:
Got to go now, pick up my partner; probably be in bed soon after - and then the drudgery starts all over again.]

Overall, a decent piece. Just needs a bit of tidying so that readers fall in line with your narrator's rhythm of thinking.

"so I wont be lonely." [won't]

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008

Author

James Hall
James Hall

Newcastle, United Kingdom



About
I have always fancied having a go at writing. I realise that there is nothing to stop anyone writing, and if your doing it for a hobby, then it does not really matter if your any good or not, because.. more..

Writing
Wasp Wasp

A Story by James Hall


Kidnap Kidnap

A Story by James Hall


Infatuation Infatuation

A Story by James Hall