Kritchels Mission - Part Two

Kritchels Mission - Part Two

A Story by James Hall
"

A Fantasy Short

"

 

The sun was rising as the ship named the Shee’naka approached the deserted port of Mercant. It was early, the inhabitants still in slumber, the ship glided across the calm waters of the Sea of the Dead, one set of eyes gleamed at the bow of the ship in the amber light of dawn. Kritchel observed the port for a moment, before raising his hand to signal that they had approached far enough. and they were to set anchor here. There was hectic movement behind him as the ships crew readied for shore.
            “We are awaiting orders lord?” asked a slender bronzed ship hand. Kritchel turned to face him, gracefully, and spoke, “Thank you Rechek, have my boat ready, and send for Borak, I will be needing his services”. Rechek bowed, turned and ran towards the centre of the ship, where various activities were being carried out. Kritchel turned back to view the shore line, and sighed, for he knew that the task he was about to embark on may well be his last. None of his crew knew why they were there, miles from home, in a place where they would have never have thought a lord such as him would have any business. Kritchel rubbed his greying, unshaved jawline, pausing at the thick raised scar running from just below his left ear, to the cleft of his chin. A prominent reminder of battles gone by, of a time that only he could recount, not that he would want to. In fact, the scar was a momento obtained during his last visit to Kraven, his destination that day.
            “Sir, I hear you are in need of my services” Borak was stood behind him. Kritchel, without turning, said “Thank you Borak. You have been a good warrior, a valiant bodyguard, and a loyal friend. I have need of your services one last time, and it will be a dangerous task beset upon us. Can I rely on your sword?” Borak paused, a realisation crossing his face, this was a grave undertaking, a test of his loyalty. “Of course sir, we have been through a great deal and I have always been there to protect you. I will once again serve you as best I can.”
            “We now go ashore, and if we are not back in two days the ship will sail without us to relay a message to the king that we have failed in our mission.”
            “Very good sir, I shall make preparation, and will await you in the boat.” Borak turned, and headed for the small boat that was being readied for shore. Kritchel could sense the aprehension in Boraks voice, but was not worried, he knew Borak would always come through for him, no matter what the cost.
            He stood taking in the golden view of the port as the sun was rising in the sky. His king had commanded him to make this journey a whole two weeks previously, without explanation, but Kritchel knew the deep reasoning that had caused the king to request such a visit to Kaven. The kings son had went missing nearly two months ago, and his last know location was the small village of Kraven. Kritchel had not been asked to look for the kings son, but only to make the Kings pressence known. He knew that not all was what it seemed.

© 2008 James Hall


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautiful again. More I say, man! More!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very well writen.
Keep up the good work and feel free to send me a request.
One!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

420 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008

Author

James Hall
James Hall

Newcastle, United Kingdom



About
I have always fancied having a go at writing. I realise that there is nothing to stop anyone writing, and if your doing it for a hobby, then it does not really matter if your any good or not, because.. more..

Writing
Wasp Wasp

A Story by James Hall


Kidnap Kidnap

A Story by James Hall


Infatuation Infatuation

A Story by James Hall