Becoming an Expatriate

Becoming an Expatriate

A Story by hamnaabobaker
"

The notion of migration is not new, for many years, people have left their home country to settle somewhere different, mainly for work.

"

The notion of migration is not new, for many years, people have left their home country to settle somewhere different, mainly for work. However, in recent years, millions of people have emigrated for a number of reasons. Many are seeking a better quality of life, higher standards of living, or have simply fallen in love with a place or a person. The following outlines the various ways you can live abroad.



1. As a Student 


If you are young or still studying, the easiest way to live abroad is to enrol at a foreign university. Many universities offer scholarships and additional financial support for foreign students. If you do not have enough money to study abroad, most universities offer a student exchange program with other establishments across the world. This provides valuable experiences for their students. Look out for universities that offer this in your home country. As well as allowing you the chance to socialise with international students, the experience will benefit your career prospects.


2. As an Employee 


There are two main ways to work in a different country as a full time employee. The first way is to request a transfer with the company you currently work. This option highly depends on your place of work and the profession you have chosen. For instance, Engineers in the IT sector often get the chance to work abroad for clients. However, several other professions will provide this opportunity also. The second way of gaining employment overseas is simply to apply for a new job. Social media platforms such as LinkedIn can be very helpful with networking. With a comprehensive CV, solid experience and good qualifications you may find a job that is perfectly suited to your skill set.


3. As a Government Employee 


All around the world, government departments send their employees overseas. This can be for several reasons such as diplomatic service, to work in an embassy, for joint operations or research. As far as diplomatic service is concerned, different governments have different rules when recruiting. Some governments will also give their employees an overseas housing allowance as well as daily allowances for travel, making it an affordable option.


4) Decide on Arrival 


Although this is not the recommended approach to settling abroad, it can be an option for those wishing to relocate independently. It would be too great a risk for a family in terms of travel costs and financial security, however many still choose this option. You have to be courageous and determined to use this method, so be prepared for hardship if it does not work out. 

 

This article was sponsored by British Food Online.

 

© 2014 hamnaabobaker


Author's Note

hamnaabobaker
The notion of migration is not new, for many years, people have left their home country to settle somewhere different, mainly for work.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

349 Views
Added on August 16, 2014
Last Updated on August 16, 2014
Tags: Travel, Holidays, Lifestyle

Author

hamnaabobaker
hamnaabobaker

Honesdale, PA



About
Gary has been an author since age six when he wrote his first sentence, 'The man was on the ship' in Mrs. Dunn's first grade class at PS 105, Bronx NY in September 1973. By day, he currently resides .. more..

Writing